Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
shewolf0316
0 Kudos

Re: Using the Nook for library books?

I found this forum when I was hunting for help a couple weeks ago. I posted this exact same message in a separate thread and got not a single response there. So I'm reposting here hoping I can get an answer and some help.

I have ADE on my laptop and I'm assuming I've authorized my Nook (even though I don't remember doing so) since it does show up on my bookshelf list when it's connected to the computer and I've transferred lots of books back and forth

But I cannot for the life of me get library eBook downloads to transfer! (They are PDF format.) Every book I've tried it tells me I'm not authorized to copy the book. Also, I've noticed that for some, the book starts to download into ADE from the library website but then a pop up window comes up saying "verifying document" and that it doesn't advance in it's task bar and the pop up window never goes away. I always have to close ADE. When I reopen it I get a messages saying a download did not finish and do I want to continue. I click yes but the verifying window always comes up and doesn't go away.

The few friends I know who have also tried downloading library books all say they have had no problems.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? How do I fix it? I've gone to the library's help page and all it really tells me is that I need to authorize my device and how to do it.

Help please!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

shewolf0316 wrote:

But I cannot for the life of me get library eBook downloads to transfer! (They are PDF format.) Every book I've tried it tells me I'm not authorized to copy the book. Also, I've noticed that for some, the book starts to download into ADE from the library website but then a pop up window comes up saying "verifying document" and that it doesn't advance in it's task bar and the pop up window never goes away. I always have to close ADE. When I reopen it I get a messages saying a download did not finish and do I want to continue. I click yes but the verifying window always comes up and doesn't go away.

Can you open and look at the books in ADE?  If not, it sounds like they're not downloading properly from the library site.  Is the library using Overdrive?  I've never tried a PDF from the library so I don't know if that is making a different or not.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

PDF files download from the library exactly the same as EPUBs.  However, they certainly don't display as well as EPUBs.  I have to really want to read a book to do a PDF, and I finally gave up on one. 

Check my signature regarding library books.  Find a link by Michael V and make sure you are following all steps.  FrogAlum also has good ADE instructions in her signature.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling ADE, which will require you to reauthorize in case something went wrong with your ADE install.

After that, call CS at 1-800-the-book Option 2 for technical support.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
New User
shewolf0316
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Can you open and look at the books in ADE?  If not, it sounds like they're not downloading properly from the library site.  Is the library using Overdrive?  I've never tried a PDF from the library so I don't know if that is making a different or not.

Yes they open just fine in ADE and yes the library uses Overdrive. I can do everything with them EXCEPT transfer to my Nook. Not all of them give me the "verifying download" message just some of them. I can read just fine in ADE but I get the error saying I'm not permitted to copy when I try to put on my Nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

shewolf0316 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Yes they open just fine in ADE and yes the library uses Overdrive. I can do everything with them EXCEPT transfer to my Nook. Not all of them give me the "verifying download" message just some of them. I can read just fine in ADE but I get the error saying I'm not permitted to copy when I try to put on my Nook.

Just to be sure, you are trying to copy them from with ADE to the Nook in ADE not Windows Explorer?

New User
PamDrx
0 Kudos

I followed every step --- I try to open the library book on my nook and get thid message"user not activated".  I called Nook help and they told me I could only read library books that B & N do not actively sell.  Is that true?  If not what am I doing wrong???

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

PamDrx wrote:

I followed every step --- I try to open the library book on my nook and get thid message"user not activated".  I called Nook help and they told me I could only read library books that B & N do not actively sell.  Is that true?  If not what am I doing wrong???

No it's not true.  At all.  I've read many books from the library that are also available from B&N.  And I'm frankly bothered by the fact that someone at B&N customer service would tell you this (I've generally had good support from them, but lying is not nice on any level!).  

As far as fixing the problem...

When your nook is plugged into your computer, try deleting the Digital Editions folder and the .adobe-digital-editions (or whatever it's called) folder from your nook (if you're on a mac, this latter folder will be hidden, and you'll have to get it unhidden - do a google search on how to unhide files that begin with a"." - I can't remember off the top of my head).  Then re-authorize your nook in ADE, which will recreate new copies of these folders on your nook.

What sometimes happens is that B&N, as a convenience, includes the Digital Editions folders when it ships your nook.  But when ADE authorizes your nook, the information isn't completely identical, so there's a mismatch between ADE and the info stored on your nook.  Deleting these folders and having ADE create them from scratch with the "correct" information should solve the problem.  

New User
S8DeeL8Dee
0 Kudos

Thank you so much.  These instructions were so much more simpler than when I spoke to a customer rep yesterday.

New User
jim33
0 Kudos

Thank you. This was really helpful and has ALMOST gotten me to the point of being able to read library books on my Nook. I got all the way to pressing "read" on my nook, but then received a message "user not activated." What does that mean? Can you tell me what I now need to do?

Thanks

Jim

Reader 4
dvbrooks
0 Kudos

When I try to open Library book on nook it gives me a pop up User not activated.  What am I doing wrong

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

User not activated usually means that although you may have activated NOOK in ADE, ADE doesn't recognize it.  The first fix for that is this:

Close ADE, connect your NOOK to your PC elete the following two folders from NOOK:

1. .adobe-digital-editions (if you're on a Mac, you'll have to show hidden files to get the files that start with a dot)
  2. Digital Editions

Eject NOOK and physically disconnect it.

Then, open ADE and reconnect NOOK.  You should have to reauthorize it and then you should be able to drag the books to NOOK without the pesky error message. 

(Some people have to connect NOOK before opening ADE to get NOOK to show up.  I don't have to, but if you have trouble, close ADE, eject NOOK and reconnect it.  Open ADE and hopefully you'll be able to see it.)

New User
KMP3
0 Kudos

I was able to transfer a library ebook to my nook but when I try to access the book, I get the message "user not activiated"

Any ideas?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

KMP3 wrote:

I was able to transfer a library ebook to my nook but when I try to access the book, I get the message "user not activiated"

Any ideas?

I'll repeat.  :smileywink:

User not activated usually means that although you may have activated NOOK in ADE, ADE doesn't recognize it.  The first fix for that is this:

Close ADE, connect your NOOK to your PC elete the following two folders from NOOK:

1. .adobe-digital-editions (if you're on a Mac, you'll have to show hidden files to get the files that start with a dot)
  2. Digital Editions

Eject NOOK and physically disconnect it.

Then, open ADE and reconnect NOOK.  You should have to reauthorize it and then you should be able to drag the books to NOOK without the pesky error message. 

(Some people have to connect NOOK before opening ADE to get NOOK to show up.  I don't have to, but if you have trouble, close ADE, eject NOOK and reconnect it.  Open ADE and hopefully you'll be able to see it.)

Then try the link in my signature.  Between the two you find solutions to the most common reasons for this error.

Reader
MC_Kirk
0 Kudos

I have downloaded a book from my digital library using Adobe EPUB.  After transferring the book onto my Nookcolor, when I try to open it, it says I must unlock the book using the full name on credit card and credit card number used to purchase this item.  It is a library book on loan, not purchased.  How do I get beyond this page to open the book?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you follow the following procedure?  Usually this message means that you didn't open the ebook with Adobe Digital Editions and drag it to the NOOK icon visible under the bookshelves in the left column of ADE.

The short version is:

• Download ADE.
  • Authorize ADE on your computer.
  • Go to library.
  • Download an ebook.  (Don't save, click open.  It should open with ADE.)
  • Plug NOOK in.
  • ADE recognizes NOOK.
  • Authorize NOOK in ADE by following prompts.
  • Drag icon of book (in ADE!) onto icon of NOOK (in ADE!)
  • "Eject" NOOK
  • Tap "Check for New Content" in "My Documents"
  • Read.  :smileyvery-happy:

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.  The downloading of the software and authorizing NOOKs and Computers takes about five minutes.  After that the whole process is about a minute per book.  I've read at least 30 library books since September.

This thread linked in my signature by FrogAlum is basically the ADE bible.  Any questions you might have are answered somewhere in it.  (She links to the download site for Adobe Digital Editions and has the most common troubleshooting covered - but you might need to read the whole thread depending on what issues you might have.  I never had any, but  others have needed to delete two files to make it all work.)

Reader
MC_Kirk
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I used your instructions and the instructions in your linked signature.  It worked so I am now reading my libraray book on my Nookcolor.  Appreciate your help.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

You're welcome.  I'm glad you got it working.  I love my library books - and since it's the only thing about NOOK I do know, I w

New User
chrisdefc
0 Kudos

I keep getting a mmessage on my nook saying the usr is not activated - but it is in there - any ideas?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 381 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: