Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Using the Nook for library books?

mikeshan wrote:

How can I link up with the library in Orange County, CA to download books

You have to get a library card by going to a library first.

You will need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions, there are instructions in one of the links in my signature.

The OC overdrive site is http://ocpl.lib.overdrive.com/.

Once you have a library card you can visit the site, look for books and then check them out or get on the wait list.

If you live in the OC area, you can ge a card for LA County also, you don't have to live in LA County but you do need to go to a library to get the card.

Same for LA City.

New User
jjsincl
0 Kudos

I have tried everything stated  ---- twice and I cannot get the book from the library to show up on my Nook.  I made sure the Nook is updated (software and firmware)...but that has not helped.  any other suggestions?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

jjsincl wrote:

I have tried everything stated  ---- twice and I cannot get the book from the library to show up on my Nook.  I made sure the Nook is updated (software and firmware)...but that has not helped.  any other suggestions?

Do you have Nook Simple Touch?  If so, then try turning it off and on, there seems to be some issue with that model not refreshing properly, so while the book is there, you can't see it but turning it off and on seems to solve the problem.

Frequent Contributor
TogetherForGood
0 Kudos

Smart phones are capable of downloading a library ebook directly to the smart phone without the extra step of using Adobe Digitial Editions. When will a NOOK ereader be able to do the same so that one does not have to have access to a computer and wifi in order to read a new library ebook?

www.boundtogetherforgood.blogspot.com
Reader
NORDAN
0 Kudos

you save my nook, dear friend. I was going to crash it on the wall. Now I can read the public library ebooks. Thank you a lot.

Regards

Danny

New User
TaylaMoore-Bibliophile
0 Kudos

I believe that you have to download Adobe Digital Editions, I have it on my computer; it's quite easy to use. Then you have to launch the program and install it. When installing there is going to be a step asking for your Adobe ID if you do not have one YOU MUST CREATE ONE THEN don't skip this step otherwise your library will lock and when you plug up your nook the library you have on your computer will be locked and inaccessible. When you have created the account press continue. It should bring you to a home screen that says library and has a list of shelves. Plug your nook in. If it doesn't show up restart Adobe Digital Editions. From here you can drag and drop whatever eBooks you have on your computer onto your nook and it should work! Good Luck!! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

According to an WSJ article B&N will add Wifi public library  support the beginning of next year.

New User
Nikkilin
0 Kudos

My nook says "This Nook cannot read this file.  It may be an unsupported format."  Any suggestions??  I have the simple touch

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Nikkilin wrote:

My nook says "This Nook cannot read this file.  It may be an unsupported format."  Any suggestions??  I have the simple touch

How did you transfer it to the Nook?  And when you downloaded it from the library, did you make sure to download the ePub version?

Reader
NORDAN
0 Kudos

When the book appears in the screen of Adobe Digital Editions, you have to drag the book to the icon NOOK at the left of the screen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

According to an WSJ article B&N will add Wifi public library  support the beginning of next year.

I would love this! As simple as it is, I find the whole ADE thing annoying. And with the N2E, as far as I can tell, you have to hook it up to a computer to delete the files when you're done. Again, annoying.

New User
brignhel
0 Kudos

I got the same message. What I did was unplug my nook and then close out Adobe Digital Editions. Replug your Nook and wait until your computer recognizes it. Reopen Adobe Digital Editions. You should see your nook under the bookshelves. Select the Borrowed shelf. (this is what I didn't do the first time) from the borrowed shelf, you can then click and drag your library book to your nook. Hope this helps!

New User
Disappointed_user
0 Kudos

I have the same issue... Please share any ideas you may have on overcoming this! 

Thanks!

New User
let192
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  This is the problem I was having, and nowhere else did I see to transfer from the "borrowed" shelf.  This fixed the problem for me.  :-)

New User
Grrreat
0 Kudos

Where does one find the ".adobe-digital-editions" file?

How can it be removed?

New User
kell0339
0 Kudos

I discovered the secret to "sideloading" library books from Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to my Nook Simple Touch by accident after spending an inordinate and unbelievably frustrating amount of time on the internet, with B&N support services, and even exchanging the Nook for a brand new one, all to no avail. It was the holy grail of no overdue library fines that kept me going. B&N was no help at all. It makes me suspect that the company would rather sell books than enable obtaining them for free from the library....

This is what worked for me:

With ADE open, I connect the Nook to the PC with the USB cord. Then I power off the Nook, wait about 20 seconds, then power it back on, while still connected. Of these steps, I think the critical one is to have the Nook connected to the PC when powering it on. (To power off or on, hold down the button on the back of the Nook at the top until the screen starts to respond. It may take a few seconds). Voila, the icon appears in ADE and I can drag the books that I have selected from the library to the icon. I then go to the start button on the PC, select computer, right click on the Nook icon, and select Eject.

Good luck! And thank you to all the other folks who wrote in about this issue because it made me feel less crazy, knowing that it wasn't me that was the problem!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I've never had to power on or off to get the library books on any of my 3 nooks or my moms. I don't know what problem you were having but it shouldnt be that difficult. I found your comment about BN would rather sell books than enable obtaining them from the library amusing. They are a book retailer after all. And ADE is an Adobe product so it should be up to adobe to support their software.
New User
ciaffone
0 Kudos

Have activated NOOK and PC, have checked a book out

of library. That book is now on my PC. That book is now in

ADE on the PC. I can read that book on the PC using ADE.

So Far So Good......

But how the heck can I get that book to the actual NOOK

so I can turn off the bloody PC?????

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

ciaffone wrote:

Have activated NOOK and PC, have checked a book out

of library. That book is now on my PC. That book is now in

ADE on the PC. I can read that book on the PC using ADE.

So Far So Good......

But how the heck can I get that book to the actual NOOK

so I can turn off the bloody PC?????

On the left side in ADE you should see the Nook. Just drag the book to the Nook.

New User
ciaffone
0 Kudos

Sounds easy enuff.

But on ADE on my PC the book is already on the LEFT side

of the ADE window.  ON THE PC!!!!

It sure ain't anywhere on the NOOK itself.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 623 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: