Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Vesthria

Using the Nook for library books?

I have some library ebooks on my computer and want to read them on my Nook. Iv'e tried many things to try and get them onto it but I have still had no luck. The program the library ebooks default to uses Adobe Digital Editions. Anyone know if there is a way to reformat the books so the Nook can read them and then transfer them over? Any help would be great!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Re: Using the Nook for library books?

[ Edited ]

The NOOK handles Adobe Digital Editions e-books directly.

• Start up Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
  • Plug in your NOOK.
  • A "nook" icon will appear on the left sidebar of ADE.
  • Drag the e-books that you want to read and drop them on the "nook" icon.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Wordsmith
Michael-V

@Vesthria,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

Reader 2
paroo1
0 Kudos

My Adobe Digital Editions will not recognize my nook.  ADE is installed and authorized on my computer, but whether I open ADE then plug in my nook or plug in and then open ADE, it is not seeing the nook.  Therefore, I can't authorize it so I can use ebooks from the public library.  Any suggestions?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

paroo1 wrote:

My Adobe Digital Editions will not recognize my nook.  ADE is installed and authorized on my computer, but whether I open ADE then plug in my nook or plug in and then open ADE, it is not seeing the nook.  Therefore, I can't authorize it so I can use ebooks from the public library.  Any suggestions?

Remove the following file folder from your nook, then try again.

.adobe-digital-editions

New User
MerryMarjie
0 Kudos

Thank you for the detailed description for connecting Nook to public libraries.  My library system has not yet instituted this wonderful feature, although they promise it soon, and I'm looking forward to checking out e-books.  Imagine, no driving down to the library, finding a parking place, and then being disappointed because the physical book is already checked out!  What a great century we live in!

You've been very helpful and this newbie thanks you again.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MerryMarjie wrote:

Thank you for the detailed description for connecting Nook to public libraries.  My library system has not yet instituted this wonderful feature, although they promise it soon, and I'm looking forward to checking out e-books.  Imagine, no driving down to the library, finding a parking place, and then being disappointed because the physical book is already checked out!  What a great century we live in!

You've been very helpful and this newbie thanks you again.

Check other libraries in your state, you can often get a free card to larger libraries, though you might have to pick it up in person...

The Philadelphia Free Library is another great option, if you don't live in Penn. you can get one mailed to you for $15/year and they have a pretty good selection.  Google them as I don't think I can put the link here anymore...  You can also google Overdrive Library and they have a search option that will tell you which libraries in your area participate in their eBook program.

Reader 2
onetrooluff
0 Kudos

I love being able to borrow ebooks from a library. There are a lot of books I'm interested in reading that I wouldn't necessarily want to keep when I'm done.

For anyone in New York State, the New York Public Library has a form online where you can get a library card mailed to you... and this lets you check books out from their ebook collection. They have a LOT of stuff, too. I think to check out physical books you have to get the card activated in person, but I didn't do that (I live 4 hours away from NYC) and I can still check out ebooks just fine. I was really excited to find this out, because my local library system doesn't do ebooks at all yet.

I would recommend that anyone interested check out the library websites of the bigger cities in their state.

New User
choff
0 Kudos

I love using my Nook to read ebooks checked out from the library. I'd love to see future software that would make the library checkout and download process accessible right through the Nook. The Wi-Fi is already there and I can get to the Overdrive site. Just can't download the book directly to the Nook. So close!

New User
eclaire
0 Kudos

@Michael --

I have tried all of these steps but keep getting error messages about the book being registered for a different account.  Is that because my library account is different from my ADE?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ADE and have now lost some of the books I purchased.  I love my nook but these issues are driving me crazy!

Help!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

eclaire wrote:

@Michael --

I have tried all of these steps but keep getting error messages about the book being registered for a different account.  Is that because my library account is different from my ADE?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ADE and have now lost some of the books I purchased.  I love my nook but these issues are driving me crazy!

Help!

This is ADE from A to Z... The most common problems are addressed here and should take care of almost anything that has been reported as a problem in the past. Please forgive the formatting, I did this in Word and these message boards don't allow for a multi-level outline with much grace at all...

Note to other "power users"  I know there are shortcuts for some of this, I intentionally left them out, I'm trying to keep this simple.  :smileyhappy:

• While you are at the ADE website, register if you do not already have an Adobe account.

• Your Adobe registration does not have to be the same user name and password that you use for your B&N account, many do use the same logon information to make it easier to remember both.

Setup ADE on your computer

• Open ADE and the “Setup Assistant” will be displayed

• Click “Continue”

• The “Authorize Computer” box will display

• Enter your Adobe account information

• Click “Activate”

• Click “Finish”

Authorize ADE on your Nook

• Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable

• Open ADE

• ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.

• Click “Authorize Device”

• If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.

1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.

2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.

3. Close ADE

4. Restart ADE

5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not

6. Go back to the Nook drive

7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it

8. Close ADE

9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

Downloading eBooks

• This is not a standard download like you have seen or used in the past, this download is an .acsm link.

• After you purchase or borrow your book, click the download link or box

• You should be asked if you want to open (do NOT choose to “save” the book) in “digital editions” click yes, if you are given the option to ALWAYS open the .acsm link in this program, choose yes or put the checkmark in the box.

• ADE will open and your book will be downloaded into ADE

If you do not have the option to always use ADE to download the following steps will allow you to opt in for this

For Windows:

• Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Default Programs-->Associate a file type or protocol with a program

• The “Associate a file type or protocol” window will pop up.

• Under the “Extensions” heading, select '.acsm' and click the “Change program…” button.

• The “Open With” dialog box is displayed.

• Click the “Browse…” button.

• A second “'Open With” dialog box is displayed.

• Browse to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.

• Click “Open”.  Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files automatically

For a Mac

• Control-click the 'urllink.acsm' file and select 'Get Info'.

• The 'urllink.acsm Info' window is displayed.

• Expand the 'Open with:' section and click 'Other…'.

• A list of programs is displayed.

• Select 'Adobe Digital Editions'.

• Check the 'Always Open With' checkbox.

• Click the 'Add' button.

• Close the 'urllink.acsm Info' window.

• Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files.

How Do I Get the Book on my Nook?

Once everything is downloaded, installed and authorized, this is the easy part!  Just "grab" the book (that you have previously purchased or borrowed and downloaded into ADE) you want to copy to your Nook, drag it over to the "Nook" (on the left hand side of ADE) and drop it in!  If you purchased books from Sony, you do have one extra step, read below...

Adding Sony eBooks to ADE

• Open ADE

• Up on the top left hand side, next to the word "Library" is a down arrow, click it

• Choose the option to "Add Item to Library"

• A search box will pop up

• Browse for the location on your hard drive where your Sony eBooks download, if you have not changed the default, this will be in your "My Documents" folder.

1. Go to your "user name"

2. Go to "My Documents"

3. Go to "My Books"

4. Go to "Reader Library"

5. You will find all your Sony eBooks in the "Reader Library" as long as you didn't choose to change the default location when you installed the Sony eStore software.

• Select the book you want in ADE

• Click "Open"

• Your book(s) are now in ADE and ready to be dragged and dropped onto your Nook.

I want to return my library book early, how can I do this?

Beside the book (highlight it in ADE) you will see an arrow, click on the arrow, one of the options is to return the book.

When I plug my Nook into ADE, I have error messages and some of my books don't show their covers, it's just a black box!

While Barnes and Noble eBooks are in the epub format, they have a special DRM (copyright protection) that most other epub books do not use, Apple is the only other exception that I know of.  So your B&N eBooks cannot be read in ADE, or on a Sony or Kobo eReader (for instance) while your library books and anything you have purchased through Sony, Kobo, Borders, etc can be seen and read in ADE on your computer.

Don't worry, this doesn't mean anything is wrong with your eBooks from B&N, they just aren't compatible with ADE.  All versions of epub, except the Apple iBooks eBooks, are compatible with your Nook.

Contributor
arleneinri
0 Kudos

I am a new Nook user as of this past Tuesday.  Today I did d/l library books to my Nook.  The books are formatted to a certain text size which I find hard to read.  When I enlarge the text the page gets really distorted looking in that only a few words from a page appear at one time.

Is there any way to correct this so the library books can be read in a larger size font?

Thanks.

Arlene in RI

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Arlene, is the book in pdf or epub format?  You can check by looking back at the library website.

I'm betting it's a pdf.   They format totally weird, and I've dealt with one font being too small and the other one overflowing a line or two onto the next page.

If I really, really want to read a book, I'll get it if the pdf is all that's available.  Otherwise, I don't deal with it.

Contributor
arleneinri
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your reply.  The books I d/l from the lib are in .pub format.  Since I posted I played around w/them on my Nook and I think I can manage OK.

How neat is that that we can d/l FREE books from the library???    I was fairly, just fairly, impressed with the choices.  Just wish I hadn't already read all the Baldacci books offered!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Hmmm, it sure sounded like a pdf issue.  Most epubs from the library are pretty clean. 

Yep, the library's a great feature.  Some have better choices than others and some have longer waiting lists than others.  I belong to three libraries but use one more than the others.

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Well, .pub is different than .epub. And, I believe, an older standard that perhaps the nook doesn't really work all that well with?

New User
LynnOK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a new Pandigital Novel which uses Barnes and Noble books.  I am trying to download a library book.  I have ADE and it recognizes the e-reader.  I did drag the book to the e-reader.  On my computer listing of the e-reader the book is listed.  Then when I remove the USB cable from the e-reader to see if the book is on the e-reader nothing shows for this book.  Can you help me?

New User
tgMA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

LynnOK wrote:

I have a new Pandigital Novel which uses Barnes and Noble books.  I am trying to download a library book.  I have ADE and it recognizes the e-reader.  I did drag the book to the e-reader.  On my computer listing of the e-reader the book is listed.  Then when I remove the USB cable from the e-reader to see if the book is on the e-reader nothing shows for this book.  Can you help me?

You are going to have to contact that company, I don't think any of us know anything about that reader.  Maybe there is a customer forum for that somewhere like we have here for the Nook?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 498 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: