Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DeborahG
0 Kudos

Re: Version 1.3 and wifi

I can attest to the fact that you are absolutely correct.  Barnes & Noble graciously replaced both mine and my husbands nook, with the idea that if they came with factory installed 1.3 that it would work and we'd be able to access our secured router.  Got them today....still won't connect.  We will either have to reset our router to a WPA (which measn resetting every wireless device in our house) or wait for Barnes and Noble to send out a fix for this.

At least I know I'm not crazy or stupid!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
DeborahG
0 Kudos

Great...how do you change the channel on a router?  I'm not tech savvy and people keep saying all these different things they did to make their Nook connect to a secured router...but no one is giving directions on how to do them.  Thanks in advance.

Contributor
DeborahG
0 Kudos

I do know the difference between a the router security key and the barnes and noble account password.  Everything in my house that is wireless is connecting just fine....except the NOOK.

Contributor
DeborahG
0 Kudos

Also, don't do like I did and leave MAC-address filtering enabled at the Access Point, with the NOOK being filtered out.

How do you check this?  Is it something via your router conncection?  Instructions would be appreciative and helpful.  Thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DeborahG wrote:

Also, don't do like I did and leave MAC-address filtering enabled at the Access Point, with the NOOK being filtered out.

How do you check this?  Is it something via your router conncection?  Instructions would be appreciative and helpful.  Thanks

@DeborahG,

Unfortunately this is something that varies with each make and model of router/wireless access point.

Most all routers use a web interface to configure. The router should have come with instructions for connecting to the web administration console and setting up the router. I suggest you start there.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

If you cannot find your manual for the router, you can attempt to figure out how to access it your self

On a Windows machine (not sure for a Mac), go to Start, Run and type in "command" and his enter. This should open a DOS window. Type in "ipconfig" and hit enter.

This should throw up a lot of information on that screen. Look for a line that says "Default Gateway". This should be the IP address of your router. write it down, it should look something like 192.168.2.1 (though any of the 4 numbers could be between 1 and 255).

Next, open a web browser and type that number (including the periods) into the URL bar. this should take you to the main page for the router configuration (I strongly recommend NOT changing any settings unless you are sure that you know what it will do!!!).

Also, if you cannot find the manual, you can always go the manufacturer's website and likely download a PDF version of it.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
New User
Flessa

Also using WEP with Shared authentication and having problems. 

For those who are not aware, with WEP you can either use "Open" authentication or the more secure "Shared" authentication (save the lecture regarding WEP vs WPA/WPA2). 

The default for most WiFi systems that I have seen is "Open" authentication. 

Since the Nook does not seem to give an option, it is probably safe to assume that the Nook uses "Open". 

Therefore, it will probably not work with WEP "Shared".  Unless they fixed this in ver 1.4, but I don't see it listed in the update features. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Open is WIDE OPEN, Totally unsecure.

Shared means Shared Key which in turn means a password is used.

You should never make either choice on the nook.  If you are asked which to use on the nook you are going about it in the MOST error prone way.

What you want to do is exit wifi, and re-enter.  It will say scan for hotspots in progress.

JUST WAIT till your hotspot shows up.  If its yours you will recognize it by name, and you can tap it to select it.  It will then ask you for a password (if your router is set up to use shared authentication), and you can type that it.  If it is OPEN, it will simply connect.

But in no case should you be making this choice on the nook itself.

Never select the OTHER Hotspot option unless you have your router configured not to broadcast its SSID in the mistake belief this offers any additional security.  

Always select from the scanned list.

New User
Flessa
0 Kudos

We KNOW what Open vs Shared is. 

Our Nook is brand new, never been added to our network and it will not connect using Shared authentication. 

BTW, just and FYI, my spouse and I are network IT professionals and are extremely familiar with wireless networks. 

New User
Mary5197
0 Kudos

I also have the same problem.. Ended up down loading from the computer. But, like you I have no problems in B& N or the coffee shops . So what is the answer?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Flessa wrote:

BTW, just and FYI, my spouse and I are network IT professionals and are extremely familiar with wireless networks. 

Really?

Then why the heck are we still talking about WEP?

And why are you asserting it will not connect to shared key wep when many many people have that working.

New User
Flessa

B&N and your coffee shop use no encryption at all. 

The problem appears to be when people use the WEP encryption protocol with "Shared" authentication.  The default for most WEP systems appears to be "Open" authentication and we suspect that is what the Nook tries to do when you try to enter a WEP secured network.

New User
Flessa
0 Kudos

The reason we use WEP is none of your business.  We use it and we have a reason, so just accept it and spare us the lecture about WEP vs WPA vs WPA2 vs RSNA-CCMP vs. other encryption protocols. 

Others are not specifying which authentication system they have working.  If they just say "My nook works fine with WEP", and do not specify what type of authentication they are using, chances are they are using WEP and Open authentication.  This is specifically a problem with WEP and Shared authentication. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Well I have personally tested WEP with shared keys and found it works fine.

One was a Belkin 54 router Model F5D7230

The second was a Linksys WRT54g.

The third was some unknown router in a local coffee shop.

All of them required passwords.  None of them had a problem with the nook.  (version 1.3).

New User
Flessa

"All of them required passwords."

WEP in either Open or Shared authentication modes require passkeys/passphrases.  The Open vs Shared only refers to the authentication procedure, not the actual encryption algorithm.

Based on your responses, I have to question if you know what Open vs Shared means. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Open is WIDE OPEN, Totally unsecure.

Shared means Shared Key which in turn means a password is used.

Sorry, icebike, but your description is not at all correct. 

Open is actually more secure than shared authentication.  Open and shared refer to the authentication procedures used for the wireless access point or WAP to talk with the wireless device or station.  Regardless of open vs shared authentication, the WEP algorithm is used to encrypt information between the WAP and device -- that means that a pass-key or pass-phrase (which are not the same as a password) is used to "key" the algorithm. 

The difference is that with open authentication, the data used to authenticate into the wireless part of the network is sent in plain text (AKA "in the clear").  Once the device is authenticated by the WAP the device has to send everything encrypted with the WEP algorithm using the correct key.  If it does not, it will be disconnected.  With shared, the WAP sends a challenge message to the device in plain text and requires the device to encrypt the message with the WEP key and return it to the WAP, which will decrypt the message and if it passes, will allow the device access.  Shared is less secure than open authentication because both a plain text and cipher text copy of the challenge message are broadcast, which aids in cracking the key. 

The original WEP standard only used open authentication, shared authentication was added in a later revision.  Because of this, any device which does not have an option for shared authentication in the WEP settings should be assumed to only support open authentication. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I concede that I was totally confusing two different concepts here.  

I haven't had time to set up a router with shared authentication to test this theory. 

New User
jojo302
0 Kudos

When I walked into the local BN store the next day for Nook 101 class, the download was in place...like a miracle!!!!! I'm still upset that I wasted so much time the night before at home trying to get the download in.

Now my problem  is getting my iTunes into my Nook. Evidently that is no easy task either!!!!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: