Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

Very dissapointed in Warranty Replacement

My Nook had the page turning button crack, I was told I could call up B&N Nook Support and get it replaced.  Around the time I called my Nook also ran down on battery and refused to power on anymore.  Bummer.  But not to worry, I heard the support was great.

I called, it was SO easy to get it all setup to be replaced and they were going to ship me a replacement... great!

Replacement arrived this week while I was out of town, and just got to it this morning, opened the box to find a nice shiny sticker on the box stating my replacement was pre-owned.

Excuse me?  I didnt buy a Pre-Owned nook when i bought it and I do NOT want a pre-owned replacement.  I didnt break my Nook, it has a flaw that is wide spread and covered under warranty.  Warranty to me means replaced with a new item if mine is defective, which it is.

I am very dissapointed to get a pre-owned replacement :smileysad:

B&N, take this pre-owned thing back and let me upgrade to a color, I'll pay the difference, but I do not want someone elses problems.

Thanks.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Re: Very dissapointed in Warranty Replacement

Here we go again . . . . . .  Some people just think the world owes them . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

If you look at the warranty, it states defective units will be replaced with either a refurbished unit or a new unit at the discretion of Barnes and Noble.  This is a pretty standard clause in all warranties regardless of company.

Regarding refurbished or pre-owned units, a fair number of units were returned that had no defect within the 14 day trial period. Units that did have defects, should have been inspected and any problems corrected before shipping to a customer. For example the nook you returned will have the bezel replaced and will prolly be shipped out to someone else as a refurbished unit.

Contributor
Gabriel32
0 Kudos

It's not that the world owes anybody anything, but when people pay for something with their hard earned money they are certain expectations. One of those should be a quality product. 

gandalf1369 wrote:

Here we go again . . . . . .  Some people just think the world owes them . . . .

Correspondent
rfruth

Before anyone spends their hard earned money they might want to read the warranty info :smileysurprised: 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Well look at it this way:

1. Your new pre-owned nook carries the same warranty.
  2. You wouldn't have known if the sticker wasn't there - it was in new condition.
  3. Your first nook went thru ONE Quality Control review.  Your New nook went thru TWO.
  4. Even Apple exchanges refurbs for warranty replacement. Its standard.

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

Appreciate the comments both for and against.  Decided i will return the refurb and ask for a new unit, if no new unit, money return, if not that then just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

Appreciate the comments both for and against.  Decided i will return the refurb and ask for a new unit, if no new unit, money return, if not that then just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

Have you even tried using the refurbished unit?  Are you just assuming it won't work.  There are many folks here who have received refurbished units and they are working perfectly for them.  For all you know, that unit is considered refurbished because someone bought it, kept it for a few days and then decided they didn't want it, and there was nothing wrong with it.  

Would you have known it was refurbished if there hadn't been a note in the package?  In other words, does it look used?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

Pretty sure you're not going to get your money back.  B&N fulfilled the explicit terms of its warranty.  You sent them a broken, used nook.

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

It might seem silly to some but the Nook is my favorite gadget, my precious, the one thing I'd take if I could have only one thing on a deserted island. 

I'm dissapointed it broke, i really love this thing.  I dont want someone's reject, I dont care whether they returned it because it doesnt toast bread, or because it was defecitve and has been repaired or because it wasnt what they thought it would be, I dont want someone's return.  I bought a nice shiny new nook, it's been my almost constant companion for 9 months now and now it's broken.  I don't want a second rate replacement, I want a new one :smileysad:

I havent even unboxed the refurb, as soon as I saw the sticker I didnt want it.  It wouldnt be my Nook, it would be someone elses that they didnt want.

I dont want to argue with anyone about whether i am right or wrong, or what is in the warranty statement (also states that you can get a refund and a new unit as well as a refurb, B&N's choice I guess).

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

Zate wrote:

Pretty sure you're not going to get your money back.  B&N fulfilled the explicit terms of its warranty.  You sent them a broken, used nook.

I didnt send them anything yet, and what I will be sending them is what they sent me.  A refurb.  I'll keep my broken used nook as a lesson learned.  I don't want it replaced under warranty with a refurb, I'll buy a new one.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Zate wrote:

very-simple wrote:

Zate wrote:

I didnt send them anything yet, and what I will be sending them is what they sent me.  A refurb.  I'll keep my broken used nook as a lesson learned.  I don't want it replaced under warranty with a refurb, I'll buy a new one.

Here's an idea if you buy a new one, get a Square Trade Warranty.  Under that warranty, they will give you the money to buy a new unit, rather than replace it, so you won't have this problem.

And, just as an FYI for the future, 

Kindle, Sony eReader, Kobo eReader, iPods, Garmin & Magellan portable GPS systems all have the same provisions in the warranty, so you might want to not buy any of those products to avoid this issue in the future.

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Here's an idea if you buy a new one, get a Square Trade Warranty.  Under that warranty, they will give you the money to buy a new unit, rather than replace it, so you won't have this problem.

And, just as an FYI for the future, 

Kindle, Sony eReader, Kobo eReader, iPods, Garmin & Magellan portable GPS systems all have the same provisions in the warranty, so you might want to not buy any of those products to avoid this issue in the future.

Father in Laws Kindle : New one sent.  Replaced sons Ipod : got a refurb .. so I'm well aware of how it works .. son was fine wtih the refurb, I'm not.  I'd be prefectly ok if the Warranty said all replacements will be refurbs, but it doesnt and plenty of people did not get refurbs for a well known, wide spread problem.  Actually the button has been that way for months, wasnt until the nook failed to power on after running low on bat a few weeks back that I did something about it... i was ok with the device with the button, it still worked and it was MY nook.
thanks though.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

I'd be prefectly ok if the Warranty said all replacements will be refurbs, but it doesnt

It says they'll replace it with refurbished or new, or refund money at their discretion.

You kept your NOOK after purchase, meaning that you were tacitly approving of the fact that the fix would be at their discretion.

I'm sorry that you don't like having received a refurbished product, but it's not as if this was a bait and switch, or they hadn't done their due diligence to inform you that you could potentially receive a refurbished unit in case of issue.

I don't like to hear that people are upset, but I find it mildly annoying when people believe that the "rules" they've accepted should somehow not apply to them.

Contributor
issy21
0 Kudos

A nine-month old Nook is no longer brand spanking new.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

I've got a great idea!  Every 9 months or so, I'll purposely crack my Nook case and ask for a new Nook as a replacement.  That way mine will always be new.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before!  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

I'd be prefectly ok if the Warranty said all replacements will be refurbs, but it doesnt and plenty of people did not get refurbs for a well known, wide spread problem. 

jeebus.  The reason those people got "new" models is because there weren't enough refurbished replacements to go around at the time (a lot of the button cracking happened early-on, and they hadn't come up with the "fixed" case yet, so the only option was to send out a new device - there were no properly refurbished units at that time).  What would you have B&N do when they run out of refurbished units? refuse to replace the device at all, because the warranty was unnecessarily limited?  

Also, you shouldn't ever buy a computer, TV, dvd player, stereo or gaming system. 

Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

It might seem silly to some but the Nook is my favorite gadget, my precious, the one thing I'd take if I could have only one thing on a deserted island. 

I'm dissapointed it broke, i really love this thing.  I dont want someone's reject, I dont care whether they returned it because it doesnt toast bread, or because it was defecitve and has been repaired or because it wasnt what they thought it would be, I dont want someone's return.  I bought a nice shiny new nook, it's been my almost constant companion for 9 months now and now it's broken.  I don't want a second rate replacement, I want a new one :smileysad:

I havent even unboxed the refurb, as soon as I saw the sticker I didnt want it.  It wouldnt be my Nook, it would be someone elses that they didnt want.

I dont want to argue with anyone about whether i am right or wrong, or what is in the warranty statement (also states that you can get a refund and a new unit as well as a refurb, B&N's choice I guess).

Zate,

The Nook is not a "companion."  It's not something someone should "love."  It's an electronic reading gadget.  I hate to say this, but you sound like you've got some serious issues that won't be fixed by a new Nook. 

Contributor
Zate
0 Kudos

chesspain wrote:

Zate,

The Nook is not a "companion."  It's not something someone should "love."  It's an electronic reading gadget.  I hate to say this, but you sound like you've got some serious issues that won't be fixed by a new Nook. 

You havent met my Nook.  Shipped back the replacement and started converting my books to other formats, still have the nook app I guess until I get another reader.

Responses so far have been pretty much as predicted :smileywink:

I'm off, I have hundreds of books to convert and we are holding a wake/viewing later this evening, open box of course.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Zate wrote:

You havent met my Nook.  Shipped back the replacement and started converting my books to other formats, still have the nook app I guess until I get another reader.

I'm curious, what eReader are you going to purchase?  All of them have exactly the same warranty policy as B&N, so you could be in the same boat again if something happens to the next one.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 841 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: