06-24-2011 01:51 PM
This is the second Nook black and white with the little touch screen at the bottom that I have had. The first one was doing the same thing this one is. The first one lasted about 3 months-this one has been a problem since it was shipped to me. When I go to my library and select a book to read the screen goes back to the start up screen. I cannot get it to respond to any books in my library. If I go to reading now it does have the book that I was reading. We are far away from any stores and I don't really want to call tech assist again and be on the phone for two hours like last time! I have tried to shut it down, don't want to do hard shut down because last time I had to drive 100 miles to a store so they could update the software. It has software wersion 1.7.0 now. Any help out there-wish I could get my money back-these are JUNK!!!!!
06-24-2011 02:11 PM
I understand your frustration, but you're going to need to be a bit more methodical about describing the problem to us.
- When you say "start up screen", which screen are you talking about? The one that says, "Your NOOK is starting up", the one with the colored buttons across the bottom, the one with a "screensaver" picture on the screen, or something else?
- Is this happening in your B&N Library, in My Documents, or both?
- If you select "Item Details and Options" in the B&N Library, does that work?
- If you then select "Read" from the "Item Details and Options", does that work?
- Can you open either the Nook Tutorial or Nook User Guide in My Documents?
- Have you sideloaded anything? E-books, music, screensavers?
- Does putting your NOOK into Airplane Mode help?
- Have you tried a reboot: hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down, then turn it back on?
06-24-2011 09:16 PM
Thanks for trying to help so quickly:
1. When I try to select a book from my library the screen goes to "n" with the multi-colored options on the small screen.
2. This does not happen in documents.
3. If I select Items and Details the screen goes back to my library-the small screen stays the same-with arrows, select button, ect
4. Does not give that option see #3
5. I can select and read both
6. No am afraid to-when I downloaded two pictures for my wallpaper on my old one all these problems started-I haven't even hooked this one to the computer
7. Does same on both
8. Yes with same results
06-24-2011 11:48 PM
Offhand, it sounds like you've gotten a bad NOOKbook download in the B&N directory. Here are some suggestions to try. These aren't in any particular order, so pick and choose whichever sounds least troublesome.
- Unregister and reregister your NOOK. This will make it forget about the downloaded files. Unfortunately, it'll also forget about any shelves, bookmarks, highlights, notes, etc., and will only redownload the five most recent NOOKbook purchases automatically. The rest, you'll need to download yourself, one at a time. [I don't have a lot of hope for this one, since you already unregistered your old NOOK and registered the new one.]
- Go ahead and hook your NOOK to the computer, copy everything out of 'my B&N downloads' to your computer for safekeeping (just in case), then delete everything out of that folder on your NOOK and Eject your NOOK. You'll then have to redownload all of your NOOKbooks, one at a time. After downloading each one, see if you can open it to read.
- Take a look at the NOOKbooks in your library here on the Web site, and see if any are self-published. They'll have a BNID starting with 294 instead of an EAN-13 starting with 978. If there's a defective e-book in your library, it's a lot more likely to be a self-published one. If you find one, archive it from your library here on the Web site. Then you'll need to do a "Check for new B&N content" on your NOOK to get it to realize that the e-book was archived.
Because you saw the same problem on two different NOOKs, it's quite possible that there's a bad NOOKbook in your library, which is what the second and third suggestions are about. If that's the case, then redownloading it probably won't really help — after all, you did redownload it to this replacement NOOK already. Since the first one worked okay for 3 months, it's possible that a NOOKbook that you got at about that time is the source of the trouble.
Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this. But those are my suggestions.
06-25-2011 01:08 PM
Thanks Doug I will try these things sometime and reply. Thanks for clearing up some of the mystery on my wife's color nook. She also had to get a repalcement due to screen blackouts and we wondered why only a few books downloaded automatically when she reregistered it.
06-29-2011 01:22 AM
Doug I downloaded a free book and was able to open it. Then I unregistered my Nook and reregistered my nook. Then went to new content to restore things. The book that I just downloaded showed up on the library but when I tried to select it the nook went back to my library-then tried the options button-still went back to my library. Then tried reading now and book showed up but would not open-said error opening book. So I downloaded another free book and was able to read a couple of pages of it. Then on advise from the help desk I did a hard shut down-BAD MOVE. Ofcourse when I did that the software went to 1.1.1 and now I only get 5 options on the small screen-Daily, Library, shop, readings, settings. Now I can't even get it to hook up to my wi-fi. We use a verizon hot spot that was working before but it won't work now. It is secured by a password and I was finally able to get the Nook to let me submit that password but it still won't connect so therefore I can't register it or anything. We are back to square 1 and 200 miles from the San Francisco store that got it to "work" last time. 100 miles from another store-any ideas? Other than throwing it away!
06-29-2011 01:56 AM
Do you have a starbucks nearby? Their wifi is provided by AT&T and your nook will automatically connect to the network. You should be able to register there. You'll probably also be able to download the latest update (if you want to).
This won't fix your issue with your hme wifi, but at least it will get you into the nook so you can test the books you're downloading.
08-05-2011 02:22 AM
Just to let everyone know the problem has been resolved!!!! They had to do a "cloud review" on our Nook. It seems that an App that my wife downloaded on her color nook upset the "cloud" so our nooks could not sync? All ok now. Thanks for all the support.