Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
artseattle
0 Kudos

W/ 1.5 did we lose the "Furthest read page" feature?

[ Edited ]

I like a LOT about 1.5 but I think I lost one of my most used features, the "furthest read page."  Here's when I use it.  I'm reading a book and I find a reference to a name or place that I can't remember the context for so I use the "find" feature to go back into the book to find the place it was previously mentioned.  Then I use the "furthest read page" to go back to where I was.  Without this, it can be very tough to go back to your current place!

Any workaround?  I think there is a way to do this with if you keep the wifi on and use the "auto save to bn.com" feature but that doesn't sound reasonable. 

Art

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Re: W/ 1.5 did we lose the "Furthest read page" feature?

artseattle wrote:

I like a LOT about 1.5 but I think I lost one of my most used features, the "furthest read page."  Here's when I use it.  I'm reading a book and I find a reference to a name or place that I can't remember the context for so I use the "find" feature to go back into the book to find the place it was previously mentioned.  Then I use the "furthest read page" to go back to where I was.  Without this, it can be very tough to go back to your current place!

Any workaround?  I think there is a way to do this with if you keep the wifi on and use the "auto save to bn.com" feature but that doesn't sound reasonable. 

Art

Hmm...yeah you're right, I just discovered that now. I think one of the reasons why people didn't like it that much is because if you reread a book without going to cover or something special to it, then you go back to read the book and use the furthest read point, it will go to the end of the book instead of where you left off.  That becomes a moot point.

However, I do agree that we shouldn't have to open up WiFi to save the page. What if you're in Airport mode or on the Airplane and you try to go back a few pages then back to where you were...won't work.

B&N Shouldn't have removed that. Oh well.

Work around - use a bookmark. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

artseattle wrote:

t this, it can be very tough to go back to your current place!

Art

Book marks are your friend in this case Art.

Frequent Contributor
Johnny_Nonsense
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sounds like they are trying to simply the user interface wherever possible.  They should just automatically create a "furthest page read" bookmark, automatically updated each time you access a page.

Also, they should add a "previous page" bookmark that marks the current page just before you jump to a bookmark.  That way it's easy to return to wherever you had been.

Contributor
KittKatz
0 Kudos

I want my "Furthest Read Page" back. When I want to do a search or skip back several pages to find something, I don't want to worry that I forgot to create a bookmark. That was one of my favorte features.

I do like the quicker page turning, which was my biggest irritant before yesterday.

Frequent Contributor
The_Dark_Clown
0 Kudos

So am I right in thinking that if I stop reading a book and read another for a while, it will still go back to the page I was on before I stopped reading.  That is different from what you are discussing I think. At least my Nook still seems to be working the same way in that regard.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

The_Dark_Clown wrote:

So am I right in thinking that if I stop reading a book and read another for a while, it will still go back to the page I was on before I stopped reading.  That is different from what you are discussing I think. At least my Nook still seems to be working the same way in that regard.

Yes, NOOK should remember the most recent page read. Which isn't necessarily the furthest page read if you've skipped back to look at something.

Contributor
lemby
0 Kudos

I can't agree more that Furthest Point Read is a very useful feature, and i'm very upset that it's gone.  I was using it all the time!!!!!  It's more important to me than faster speed in turning pages.  Now, yes, I did know that if you moved forward in a book, to look ahead for something, it messed up furthest pont read, but that "furthest point read" could be reset by simply going to the title page, and then back to the page you were on in the book (where you were in reading it). 

This is not a minor issue!!!! It relates to the ability to read a long book.  Bookmarking is not an adequate substitute.  First of all, it's burdensome to have to do it all the time.  And if you're bookmarking just for the furthest point read, you make it hard to use the feature for other reasons.  Now it would be nice when i bookmark, if I could have a note with the bookmark.  Instead if I click on bookmark, I get a list of pages, -- 15, 17, 19, 23.  Later, when i look at the bookmarks they mean nothing to me.   If I could see 15 (first time Joe appears, 17 (Mary's motive), 19 (defiinition of new word), 23 (crime occurs), then when I go back to bookmarks, i can make better use of them. In other words, give us the ability to make a short note (that will come up with the number of the page) if we want. 

Still, first it's fundamentally essential to give the reader the "futhest point read" option. Without that, the 1.5 Firmware Update is a step back, that has me thinking about other ereaders because if i can't get this back, I will need to look elsewhere.  

Contributor
Ryan_phx
0 Kudos

You could always revert to 1.4.

For me, the faster page turns are the only thing I like about 1.5. I had hoped for good organization, but instead we got "Shelves" that can only be set up on the Nook itself. Really have to wonder what on earth the developers were thinking with some of these decisions.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Furthest Point Read still exists in the My Documents library. The change is in the B&N library.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

Furthest Point Read still exists in the My Documents library. The change is in the B&N library.

Have you confirmed this? The 1.5 manual says otherwise.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

cbtengr wrote:

Confirmed - I can see it on my Nook.  I have opened at least a dozen books, some old, some new, it's still there.  I don't care what the manual says, it's right in front of me. 

New User
customer31
0 Kudos

This is key feature that I use frequently and is critical in an ereader

Contributor
rndrum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cbtengr wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

cbtengr wrote:

Confirmed - I can see it on my Nook.  I have opened at least a dozen books, some old, some new, it's still there.  I don't care what the manual says, it's right in front of me. 

I have opened 10+ books in My Documents and 10+ books in my B&N Library and I can assure you that the furthest read option is NOT present at all.  If you still see the furthest point option, I question the validity of your install of 1.5.

Additionally, this feature is not present in the manual for 1.5.  To verify this, I did a keyword search for "furthest" in the 1.5 manual and had no results.  The same search in the manual for 1.4 results in numerous references to the "furthest read point" or "furthest read page." 

- let me be clear that I am not referring to the text that appears underneath the title that reads, "on page XX of XXX."

"But even when we had the books on hand, a long time ago, we didn't use what we got out of them."
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

You can question it, but my Settings page says Software version 1.5.0.

In my B&N library, I have the new Go To: Last Page Saved On BN.com.

In the My Documents side, I still have Furthest Page.

Are you saying that because it isn't in the manual I'm imagining that I see it?

You sound angry, I'm not making this up. I can't expain why I have it and you don't, I'm just describing what I see after the upgrade.

Contributor
rndrum
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

You can question it, but my Settings page says Software version 1.5.0.

In my B&N library, I have the new Go To: Last Page Saved On BN.com.

In the My Documents side, I still have Furthest Page.

Are you saying that because it isn't in the manual I'm imagining that I see it?

You sound angry, I'm not making this up. I can't expain why I have it and you don't, I'm just describing what I see after the upgrade.

Not angry at all, actually :-)  Just curious how you're seeing what so many of us are not.

Here's the steps that I am following (just to make sure that we're talking about the same thing)...

1) Selected book

2) Tapped on "Go to" on the LCD menu

3) I now have three options:

• Page
  • Cover
  • Chapter

If I understand you correctly, you still have "furthest read point" on this menu on your Nook.  Is this right? 

I understand that 1.5 will show you what page you're on (either just on the Nook or on all devices you're syncing with), but that's not necessarily the furthest point that you've read to.

I only mention the manual because I was verifying that, per the 1.5 manual, the feature no longer exists.

"But even when we had the books on hand, a long time ago, we didn't use what we got out of them."
Frequent Contributor
ne14abeer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the Furthest Read Point option in My Documents . . . but only on some books.

I haven't figured out yet what triggers the option to show up. When it does show up I also get a color cover page view on the left side of the lower screen.

This is all in My Documents books loaded with Calibre. Is there something in Calibre that is creating the cover page view and Furthest Read option?

-Mike-
In the Pacific Northwet
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

[ Edited ]

I have one additional option.

Open book from My Documents Go To:

1. Furthest point read

2. Page

3. Cover

4. Chapter

These are all in PDB format.

I will sideload an ePUB and see if I get the same result.

AHA! I sideloaded an ePUB and the Furthest point read option is NOT there. 

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Very odd behavior in the My Documents for the Furthest read point.  My old Fictionwise book (PDB format I believe) still show the Furthest read option.  A book I borrowed from the library doesn't show the option anymore (i believe it is an Adobe Epub book, DRM).  Another book I sideloaded from Project Gutenberg is unprotected Epub and it also is missing the Furthest read option.

If I had to guess, I would say Epub books for sure don't have the option anymore (probably because BN added the sync function for their books and if you have sync toggled on that would supersede, bad planning on their part since many of us sideload other Epub books).  I have checked any PDF books yet.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook

Yes, I just did a test and got the same result.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 628 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: