Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
spottedfeather
0 Kudos

Re: WIFI Nook Problems

I got my nook about a week ago and when I connect to the web about an inch on the right side is cut off. Any suggestions? I don't know nook's number.

Reader
RedbaronJL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion. I too had issue with my Linksys router. I could connect to the router but couldn't register or surf the net. After updating my firmware, all worked immediately. I was only about a year behind on firmware.

Updating your firmware can be a bit daunting. Just follow the instructions from the router manufacturer and all should work.

Thanks for the suggestion :smileyhappy:

New User
hcfmama3
0 Kudos

I purchased the Nook Wi-fi on September 9th and have not been able to shop or browse Internet from home since.  The Nook scans and recognizes my wireless home network and even connects but consistenly gives me Network Unavaible messages.  I have un-registered, deleted cc info, re-registered, etc.  NOTHING!  I have a Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router that works seamlessly with our laptop, Wii, Blackberry and PSP systems.  I have tried re-configuring router with every possible combination of settings I can think from DHCP users, disabling security to enabling security, disabling MAC filtering to enabling MAC filtering, WPA2, WEP, TKIP, AES, etc. to no avail.  I can connect to and shop or browse on other Wi-fi locations without trouble but cannot seem to figure out why the Nook refuses to work!  HELP!  Have already called tech support and they are stumped....a lot of help they are.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You are a week past your 14 day return.

So your best bet is a warranty claim.

Chances are they the next software update might fix this.  We have it on good authority that new software will be provided "in the coming months" (a definition which includes all of eternity).

One last thing you might try

Some users have found that the newer nook models never really forget router settings all the way.  They get increasingly confused with each change you make to the router.

Some folks have been able to trick the nook by renaming the router (new SSID) with settings that are known to work (WPA2, 802.11G, not N, passphrase of at least 10 characters, channels 1 thru 6, no mac filter, dhcp on, subnet range of at least 20 devices, SSID broadcasting on), and then let the nook SCAN to find your router via its NEW SSID, and select it from the list.  Never use "other hotspot".

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This may or may not help: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-please... — it's for an early version of the WRT54G which doesn't offer WPA2, among other differences.

I'm a bit confused as to how you are registering and unregistering without Wi-Fi access being operational. As far as I know, the only way that a NOOK Wi-Fi can register and unregister is via Wi-Fi.

Frequent Contributor
steve2645
0 Kudos

This is in no way a definitive (or technical, for that matter) solution to wifi connection problems, but...

I've found that while I can't seem to connect to the net from the downstairs of my house, as soon as I go upstairs, I connect...every time (and the router is downstairs).

Go figure...

Good luck

Steve

New User
hcfmama3
0 Kudos

You are a week past your 14 day return.

So your best bet is a warranty claim.

Chances are they the next software update might fix this.  We have it on good authority that new software will be provided "in the coming months" (a definition which includes all of eternity).

One last thing you might try

Some users have found that the newer nook models never really forget router settings all the way.  They get increasingly confused with each change you make to the router.

Some folks have been able to trick the nook by renaming the router (new SSID) with settings that are known to work (WPA2, 802.11G, not N, passphrase of at least 10 characters, channels 1 thru 6, no mac filter, dhcp on, subnet range of at least 20 devices, SSID broadcasting on), and then let the nook SCAN to find your router via its NEW SSID, and select it from the list.  Never use "other hotspot".

---------------------------------------------------------------

Will definitely try renaming the SSID..how do I change the 802.11G setting?

New User
hcfmama3
0 Kudos

This may or may not help: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-please... — it's for an early version of the WRT54G which doesn't offer WPA2, among other differences.

I'm a bit confused as to how you are registering and unregistering without Wi-Fi access being operational. As far as I know, the only way that a NOOK Wi-Fi can register and unregister is via Wi-Fi.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, I should have clarified...I am driving to a local wi-fi hotspot and unregistering then driving home to try and re-register.  When that didn't work, I drove back to the local wi-fi hotspot to re-register the device.

New User
hcfmama3
0 Kudos

This is in no way a definitive (or technical, for that matter) solution to wifi connection problems, but...

I've found that while I can't seem to connect to the net from the downstairs of my house, as soon as I go upstairs, I connect...every time (and the router is downstairs).

Go figure...

Good luck

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Steve, however, I am literally sitting 3 feet from my wireless router and have also tried various other locations in my house.  Thanks again!

New User
MelyMoore82
0 Kudos

Got a Nook for my Bday. Cant get it to connect to my Home Wireless. I DO NOT want to have to drive to a B&N or any other place to get on their wifi. Lets get that straight.

The problem:

I try to get the internet WIFI connection going to settings > WIFI and I get this message : "The WIFI radio is off. To Use WIFI, Please turn it on using the menu below."

Below - The ONLY option is Airplane Mode (off)

When I enable Airplane Mode this is the message I get "Airplane Mode is on. Please Disable Airplane Mode to Enable WIFI."

When I turn the Airplane Mode back Off I get this message : "The WIFI radio is off. To Use WIFI, Please turn it on using the menu below."

Now...

If I DO NOT GO TO Settings

And I Go To WIFI in the Menu Its the same thing!

"The WIFI radio is off. To Use WIFI, Please turn it on using the menu below."

Below - The ONLY option is Airplane Mode (off)

When I enable Airplane Mode this is the message I get "Airplane Mode is on. Please Disable Airplane Mode to Enable WIFI."

When I turn the Airplane Mode back Off I get this message : "The WIFI radio is off. To Use WIFI, Please turn it on using the menu below."

How do I get this thing to work FROM home?? I have a Linksys Wireless

If I can not get this thing to work I am returning for a Kindle. :smileymad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Airplane mode turns off ALL radios.

You need to set it so that airplane mode is OFF (and the airplane image disappears from the top of the screen).

Then tap WiFi.

Then you need to set it so that Wifi is On.

If you tap "My Library", then tap "My Documents" there are two documents.  The Nook tour is pretty useless, but the Nook Guide explains all of this beginning on page 37 (or there abouts).

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

I've seen comments on various threads here that refer to "airplane mode" and WiFi On" as separate settings. I bought my nook mid-August, and there is no "WiFi on/off" setting, only Airplane Mode.

<rant> Personally I think "Airplane Mode" is a really bad name as it's not indicative of its function, and moreover is reversed in the sense that turning Airplane Mode ON" turns WiFi OFF. It really should be "WiFi On/Off", which would be much more intuitive. Wifi is actually becoming available on airplanes so soon it'll be even worse! </rant>

Anyway, I think "Airplane Mode" is the only setting available to enable/disable WiFi, so if your nook complains about the wifi radio being off when Airplane Mode is disabled, you should contact customer support.

patrick

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Tropicseed wrote:

I've seen comments on various threads here that refer to "airplane mode" and WiFi On" as separate settings. I bought my nook mid-August, and there is no "WiFi on/off" setting, only Airplane Mode.

Ah, good catch Patrick, My instructions above were for the 3G+WiFi nook.

Needless to say, if airplane mode is OFF, then it should start searching for wifi hotspots immediately.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Tropicseed wrote:

Sounds like you have one of the Wifi Nooks with an incorrect firmware install.

To correct this you will need to do a recover to the original firmware.

Shutdown the Nook six times, every time pressing down the button for about 20 seconds.

After this the Nook should do an install of the original firmware.

After that install you should have a Wifi option.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Wait, wait, wait....

He just got the nook today.  You should NOT be counseling someone to start a factory reset on a brand new nook until they have talked to CS.

This is most likely a simple misunderstanding.   If it was shipped with the wrong firmware resetting will reset it to the wrong firmware.  

This is fundamentally bad advice for a nook owner on day one.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

geertm wrote:

Wait, wait, wait....

He just got the nook today.  You should NOT be counseling someone to start a factory reset on a brand new nook until they have talked to CS.

This is most likely a simple misunderstanding.   If it was shipped with the wrong firmware resetting will reset it to the wrong firmware.  

This is fundamentally bad advice for a nook owner on day one.

I understood that the user bought his Nook mid August.

This is a known problem that has been mentioned several times on these boards.

No Wifi option, just airplane mode available.

I am just trying to give some helpful advise.

New User
woodworkerBob
0 Kudos

Re: WIFI Nook Problems-Can't get 3G wireless conect - see other post

[ Edited ]

see other post.

New User
woodworkerBob
0 Kudos

Re: WIFI Nook Problems . Can't get 3G wireless connect

Hi,

we are new Nook owners. Have had the 3G model for 9 days. 

Problem: Need to connect to the wireless for our Nook so we can download books without having to go thru the laptop. We can't. have been to Customer service. No help after all standard help techniques.  What are we missing?

We have Comcast Internet thru a wireless Motorola router Model #VT2442 from Vonage.  We have a PC and a Apple IMAC wired to the wireless system. Two ASUS laptops which work on wireless.  We have a Motorola router from Vonage. Our is a modem Motorola model #SBG901. SSID: Motorola - C49E3.  WPA-PSK: ( a string of numbers).

Thanks so much for all your help!

WoodworkerBob

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

woodworkerBob wrote:

Hi,

we are new Nook owners. Have had the 3G model for 9 days. 

Problem: Need to connect to the wireless for our Nook so we can download books without having to go thru the laptop. 

Ok, before we start trying to diagnose the wifi, why can't you just turn off the wifi, and use 3G to get books directly from B&N?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@woodworkerBob,

Via Private Message (PM) can you send me your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you...?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 246 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: