Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

WIFI Nook Problems

I am having major issues with my new Nook WIFI also ... I bought one yesterday afternoon and could not get it to connect to my home network ... I called tech support & after an hour, their suggestion was to exchange it for another one. I did .. came back home and went through the process again. I could NEVER get it to register, however, I COULD get online through the browser. I went back to the store and we were able to get it to register there. After coming back home ... I am experiencing the same problems. I can browse web sites, connect to the store and so on, however when I try to make a purchase, I get a message that says "Processing your order" ... this lasted for almost a half hour and it never actually completes the purchase.

So something else is wrong ... I am using an Apple Airport Extreme base station and it's working with no problems ... my Macbook and iPhone are able to connect without any problems. I've tried different security options on my base station, without luck so far.  CurrentIy it is set to WPA/WPA2 ... I've tried WPA2 Personal and WEP.  I even tried connecting to my neighbor's network, however, the signal strength was pretty low and it did not work. 

Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: WIFI Nook Problems

@JamieOutlaw

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

It sounds like something may be amiss with your account configuration.  Check that your default credit card information is correct, and that the address on your account matches the billing address on your credit card.

If all that is correct, I'd suggest going to have a cup of coffee at McDonalds, or at your local B&N store.  As you're enjoying your coffee, try buying a book from there.  If the purchase goes through, then you've narrowed the problem to your router.

Good luck!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
lrec
0 Kudos

I just recently started having Wifi connection problems too.  I have had my nook since January and just this month I have not been able to connect through Wifi at my house.  If you have the 3G network Nook try turning off the wifi and see if it will connect that way.  I still have not figured out the wifi problem...but I am having other issues now with freezing.

Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

Yesterday I took my Aunt down to the local BN so she can purchase a Nook (WiFi/3G).  We registered while at the store through their WiFi.  It did the same thing, Processing order.... for quite some time and it even said it couldn't connect.  We tried it again and got the same.  So we went up to the gentleman at the Nook station and he put it on the 3G and said lets try it that way. Once it did connect it stated that the Nook was already registered.  So, even though we didn't get the confirmation on the Nook it did register to the account.

Check your account.  The book may be on it now even through you didn't get confirmation on the Nook itself.

New User
IFly2Eat
0 Kudos

I have been having the same problem with my Nook for about a month now. It recognizes WiFi sites at home, at Starbucks, airports etc. but when it tries to connect nothing happens, it times out and goes into a loop of trying to connect but never can successfully. I can buy and download books and content through the internal cell card but not through WiFi.

New User
CollieLass
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook since May and it won't connect to WiFi at my house either.  I spent an hour online with tech support and they were very nice but couldn't solve the problem.  They mentioned something about the security type WEP vs. WPA perhaps being the problem, but all our other devices work just fine with our router.  When I took it to the store, it connected immediately.  I'm getting ready to do the software update and will have to connect the Nook to my laptop.  My laptop that works just fine with our router, that is.  

After reading all these posts I'm wondering if the problem is with Nook, not everyone's router.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

IF you're having problems connecting at home, and you have any type of security enabled, you can disable all the security temporarily, and see if the Nook will connect.  If it will, then the issue is the security on the router.  I know some folks have reported trouble with WEP security. I had problems with mine for a while, and I'm using WPA, but was able to connect to my neighbor's open network just fine, so it was obvious, at least to me, that the issue was with some setting on my router.  It cleared itself up even before the 1.4 update, since I was able to download and install 1.4 from home using the WiFi.

Contributor
mamakeet

I had a Nook WiFi first and could only get it to connect at the local Starbucks but not at three other places that have WiFi.  I couldn't get it to recognize my wireless network at home.  Even at the Starbucks, half of my already purchased library didn't download.  Then the Nook wouldn't shut off.  It kept restarting every time I tried to turn it off.  Tech support was so busy that the recording said try calling later.  I took the Nook to a B & N store and returned it.  After talking to the peson at the Nook counter, I decided to try a 3G wih WiFi. In the process of setting it up, the Nook person found that it wasn't working right.  She called tech support, and they told her to swap it out and give me a new one.  Thankfully, that one works at home through 3G  with the WiFi turned off.  I was able to get the rest of my books and start reading.  It's not as easy to use as my Kindle, and I wish the Nook had something like the Kindle WhisperSync that keeps my laptop and Kindle synced when I'm reading. The physical keyboard of the Kindle, as small as it is, is easier than the Nook's touch screen keyboard, which is difficult to type on without making errors, especially getting the key next to the one I wanted.  

Now I have two eReaders with two different libraries of books.  I can pop either one into my bag before I leave the house and know that I always have something good to read with me.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

mamakeet wrote:

I wish the Nook had something like the Kindle WhisperSync that keeps my laptop and Kindle synced when I'm reading.  

It does have this.

Contributor
MarieSH
0 Kudos

I purchased my nook 2 months ago & was never able to connect to WiFi @ home, I read advice about creating a hotspot & using wep instead of wpa (or maybe that was the other way around?) but never cared enough to try.  I didn't buy the nook to surf online.  I bought it so I could store & read books. However, the 1.4 update seems to have solved that problem for me & I have to say its been fun to access the internet from my nook!  Maybe the update will solve your internet problem as well.

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone. My nook already had 1.4 installed when I bought it :smileyhappy:  Also, all of the information in my account is set up correctly.  From what I've read (here and on other forums), it's more a problem with the Nook software itself rather than my (or anyone else's) router.  I am hoping that the developers fix this in a future release.  

New User
froggie13
0 Kudos

I haven't had any trouble getting our Nook to connect with our wi-fi.  Once I remembered to add it's MAC address to the router MAC filtering and access lists...and remembered the security code...it's been working like a charm.

New User
hosps
0 Kudos

My wife picked up her Nook today and we had problems getting it to register through our WiFi and the problem turned out to be the Encryption mode of the WiFi. She was able to connect to our network just fine and I was able to ping the device from our other computer but the registration would never complete correctly. By setting the Router to use WPA Mixed Mode instead of forcing TKIP or AES, she was able to connect and register without any problems.

B&N should make this part of their FAQ for those with WiFi problems since this is a common setting for most wireless networks.

Hope this helps somebody else with WiFi problems.

Contributor
LisaMo
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook yesterday, 07/03/2010. Connected one time at home, loaded Firmware 1.4, and now I can not connect. Called support, unregister and re-registered, and still no luck. He advised I go to a B&N store. What is wrong with this thing? Should I have gotten the Sony eReader?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

LisaMo wrote:

I bought my Nook yesterday, 07/03/2010. Connected one time at home, loaded Firmware 1.4, and now I can not connect. Called support, unregister and re-registered, and still no luck. He advised I go to a B&N store. What is wrong with this thing? Should I have gotten the Sony eReader?

Well, the Sony eReader wouldn't have connected either, now would it?

What type of security is your router set for?  WEP by chance?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

hosps wrote:

My wife picked up her Nook today and we had problems getting it to register through our WiFi and the problem turned out to be the Encryption mode of the WiFi. She was able to connect to our network just fine and I was able to ping the device from our other computer but the registration would never complete correctly. By setting the Router to use WPA Mixed Mode instead of forcing TKIP or AES, she was able to connect and register without any problems.

B&N should make this part of their FAQ for those with WiFi problems since this is a common setting for most wireless networks.

Hope this helps somebody else with WiFi problems.

Did you select your router from the scanned list, or did you tap the Other hotspot button and try to enter it all youself?

Contributor
LisaMo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Router set to 'Mixed' mode. Still now working and still working with device. Tried finding a new hotspot did not work either.

I have now reset the modem and set up moden up like it was brand new (new name and new password). Set to 'Mixed' and it is still not connecting...Looking for suggestions. (Linksys router)

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LisaMo wrote:

Router set to 'Mixed' mode. Still now working and still working with device. Tried finding a new hotspot did not work either.

I have now reset the modem and set up moden up like it was brand new (new name and new password). Set to 'Mixed' and it is still not connecting...Looking for suggestions. (Linksys router)

Does the Nook find the router and then fail to connect, or is it not even finding the router?

If it's not finding the router, make sure that you're broadcasting your SSID.  Give it every chance you can when you're starting out.  After you've connected successfully once, you can stop broadcasting again.

If it's finding the router but not connecting, try setting the router temporarily to "G", and see whether it will connect then.

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
hosps
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

She said she selected it from the scanned list and then just entered the password in from there.

Router is setup using WPA2 and SSID is broadcasting. No MAC filtering turned on.

At first we tried taking the firewall out of the loop but when that didn't work, I knew it was the wireless connection at that point. Then it just came down to testing the different combinations of encryption to see which one was supported by the Nook.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@hosps

Are you allowing enough DHCP users to accommodate all devices you have accessing the router, plus the Nook?  On the first page of Linksys Setup, this is "Maximum Number of DHCP Users" with a box in which the number can be changed. 

-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 450 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: