Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
capereader
0 Kudos

WMA versus MP3

Only trouble I seem to be having with the NOOK is the lack of MP3 files available at libraries. 

It seems most are WMA or Ipod compatible..  

Does anyone know if there will ever be a NOOK upgrade to WMA files ? 

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: WMA versus MP3

No idea, but you could always just convert the files from wma to mp3 using any one of the freely available tools out there.

I kinda like the Switch Sound File Converter -- http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html -- as it is fairly easy to use.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Contributor
capereader
0 Kudos

Thank you ! 

Have you used this for the nook application ? 

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

capereader wrote:

Thank you ! 

Have you used this for the nook application ? 

I don't have a nook yet (it is on my "I want" list, but I have to wait until I get paid for rebuilding the website of a friend of my boss before I can get one -- another week or two at most -- woohoo!!).

However, I have used the application itself before and it was generally easy to use. And from my understanding, you just sideload the files onto the nook once they are in the proper format.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Rasyr wrote:

you could always just convert the files from wma to mp3 using any one of the freely available tools out there.

That won't help unless the tool also breaks the DRM. Breaking the DRM is illegal in the US.

Contributor
capereader
0 Kudos

Okay, so I just want to be sure I understand... 

I have downloaded a book brom the library in WMA format it sits in my overdrive media console waiting to be loaded into an ipod... 

Are you saying that I can't change this into a MP3 file by using the program you suggested.. 

Because I am trying to do that now, but I can't seem to get the book out of overdrive media and into the file converter program.. 

Thanks for all your help

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Have no idea it breaks DRM or not, never tried to use it to do.

If the original files are not DRM, then this app should be very helpful.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Rasyr wrote:

If the original files are not DRM, then this app should be very helpful.

Well, the original question was about library e-audiobooks. The ones that are only available from the library in WMA are in WMA because the publisher insists that they have DRM to automatically 'expire' the e-audiobook after the lending period is over. WMA can do that. MP3 can't.

E-audiobooks that don't need DRM are available in MP3 from the library.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@ B&N-Powers-That-Be

WMA compatibility would be a really nice item to include in the next update! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
capereader
0 Kudos

The WMA files from the library only expire in 14 days from the computer.  Once they are transfered to an Ipod or other device they are there for an unilimited time.

My kids have multiple books on their ipods.. 

I am just trying to figure and easier way to have the audio and the written book all in one place. 

My son who is in 5th grade likes to read along with the audio...  My daughter in High School, likes to also read along and highlight the areas in the book she needs to study. 

Nook is awesome for the highlights !! 

FYI I did just figure out how to get the WMA file out of overdrive media and into the file converter... and it did not work because of what you had said.

So hopefully sometime soon there will be an update to WMA files on the NOOK.

Thanks for all you help..  now I can go on to something else !!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 315 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: