Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper/Screensaver Tutorial

Perfect! Had I gotten this before I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday, I could have saved myself the trip - this was specifically why I left because I couldn't figure out whre my screensavers were - I could see them in my directory but didn't know a separate folder had to be created. I hope they make this clearer in the guide.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this tutorial!

I've got some custom wallpapers and a custom screensaver set now. I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

I wanted to share this resource for images. Many of these images are royalty free for personal use. Just double check before you grab one.

http://www.sxc.hu

This is the image I now have for my wallpaper:

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1187173

Nook with custom wallpaper

While I did have to resize the picture once I downloaded it, I did not have to change it to grayscale. All I did was resize and crop the image to 600wX760h.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Are you copying the image file from your desktop directly into the wallpaper folder on the Nook? No sub-folder is created if you do this. The only way(that I know anyway) it will create a new folder within wallpapers on the Nook, is if you are selecting a folder file from your desktop. When you right click open on the file you are selecting, does the picture open up or does a folder open up with the image thumbnail/detail shown inside? If it is the latter then that is the file you should be copying....otherwise it should be working fine. Hope this helps!!

New User
JBronius
0 Kudos

I seem to remember seeing the authors or nature cycle through by themselves without entering and exiting sleep mode.  "MYPICS" as the subfolder under myscreensavers is queing up properly but does not scroll by itself, only when entering and exiting sleep mode again.

Is that the default setting and if so can wee change it?

Reader 4
cjitsme
0 Kudos

Thank you I worked perfectly :smileytongue:

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

JBronius wrote:

I seem to remember seeing the authors or nature cycle through by themselves without entering and exiting sleep mode.  "MYPICS" as the subfolder under myscreensavers is queing up properly but does not scroll by itself, only when entering and exiting sleep mode again.

Is that the default setting and if so can wee change it?

I think it's supposed to pick one and stay that way. It's all about conserving battery. Once the e-ink screen is displayed, it doesn't need continuous power to maintain what's on the screen. It would strike me as inefficient if it woke up every X hours just to change the screensaver display. 

That said, I'm "testing" mine right now. I've got mine set to the stock "Cities" screensaver, but I will also test it with a set of my own and see if there's a difference.

That said, I've got some wallpaper and screensaver images I need to share... just need to find the easiest way.

-Dito

Contributor
10th
0 Kudos

nook-look.com is a decent place that'll allow you to upload your wallpapers for sharing with others.  Not completely advocating it as "gold" here, but so far it seems to be a frontrunner in making nook things available.

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

10th wrote:

nook-look.com is a decent place that'll allow you to upload your wallpapers for sharing with others.  Not completely advocating it as "gold" here, but so far it seems to be a frontrunner in making nook things available.

Yup. I've posted a few items there. I hadn't checked in a week or two and noticed it's down this morning. Is this temporary? I was concerned it had gone away for good.

-D

Contributor
10th
0 Kudos

Working fine from here, they have had a couple DB issues over the last few weeks that seem more like growing pains, but for the most part its been stable.

New User
ratch333
0 Kudos

When I created a screensaver in Microsoft Picture Manager (after making it greyscale) I changed the size to 600x760 (width  & height), the new size actual shows 760x570 pixels, is that correct??

Reader 2
j_vicious
0 Kudos

i loaded a few screensavers on my nook from nook-look and they were fine at first, now i noticed that a few of the pictures have turned sideways. any ideas?

Reader 2
j_vicious
0 Kudos

nevermind, figured this one out. didn't realize theres a setting to turn your screen savers sideways.

New User
bRoOkE15
0 Kudos

How do i convert my pictures from a Micro SD card onto my nook?

New User
workinghard
0 Kudos

Hey, when I resize to 800X600 the tops and bottoms each have like an inch of gray bar left. Is there someway to do this so that the image actual fills the entire nook screen?

Reader 2
pricer15
0 Kudos

Hello,

I read this entire thread plus others on the web but can't seem to find my problem listed.  I did create subfolders to the screensaver directory, and I was able to see them and select one.  The problem is that even though I selected one subfolder, a different subfolder's picture is being used by the nook for a screensaver.  I tried restarting the nook but that didn't help.  More specifically, in the screensavers directory, I have the following subdirectories:

The preloaded default directories,

downloaded has one picture in it

escher multiple pics

nitemareb4xmas multiple pics

nook illusions multiple pics

Even though I have selected the nitemareb4xmas subdirectory, the one picture from the downloaded subdirectory is the only one that appears when the nook sleeps.  Any suggestions?

Cheryl

New User
hexywriter
0 Kudos

I downloaded your Alice in Wonderland Screensaver. When I hook my Nook up to my laptop the screensavers claim to be in my Nook, but they don't show up whenever I'm actually on my Nook. What have I done wrong?

Linda

Reader 2
pricer15
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Answered my own question while on the phone with BN.  I plugged my nook into the PC and looked at the directories I had created.  A couple of things were going on.  One, some of the directories had downloaded as compressed (zipped).  I opened those directories.  Then I noticed that for some reason, the actual files were too deep to be seen by the nook.  In other words, I had created a subdirectory called escher to download the files and when they downloaded, they created another subdirectory under escher, also called escher.  I moved the picture files up to the escher subdirectory under MyScreensavers, deleted everything that was too deep, ejected my nook, and restarted it and now everything works as expected.  Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Contributor
Colorado_BMW
0 Kudos

You should also check out http://www.piiknook.com for a desktop application that can manage your screensavers and wallpapers for you.

New User
mlbrawner
0 Kudos

very helpfull thanks for the video. I went to get the free converter paint.net. internet didnt find it. thought Id try using the paint program that comes with windows.  opened picture in it, then hit attributes, change to the 600x800 and it made a white box behind it, my picture was smaller than that size. I used the crop box and highlighted the picture, then draged the edges to fill the white 600x800 box. then hit save as and whalla. then plugged in the usb cord, and moved it from desktop to the wallpaper section in the nook color. unlpued and open the settings and wallpaper selected that picture and bop there it is.   thank you I had sent emails to BnN and they said to check online. and thats where I found you.  thanks again.

New User
dnth8cait
0 Kudos

Thanks this worked with my Mac too! I am ridiculously retarded about this kind of stuff.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 521 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: