Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SechoDB

Wallpaper/Screensaver Tutorial

In this tutorial I'll explain how you can correctly add your own custom wallpapers and/or screensavers to the nook.

First of all, prepare the pictures you would like to use as wallpapers. And that means cropping the pictures to a 800x600 pixel size and then converting them to a Grayscale Data Type. Never mind the technical terms, it is actually pretty easy to do.

• Create a folder in your computer where you'll store all the pictures you'll be customizing for the nook.    Let's call it Nook-Wallpapers.
  • Select and copy all the pictures you wanna use as wallpapers or screensavers to the folder you just created.
  • Now let's crop the picture to a 800x600 size (that will perfectly fit the nook screen)
  • Follow up with converting the image to Gray.
  • Save the resulting image to the Nook-Wallpapers folder.

For Wallpapers: You will copy the image into the Wallpaper folder on your Nook. 

• The path would look something like this  K:\my wallpapers\ (your images)

For Screensavers: You will first create a folder inside the Screensavers folder of your nook. Then copy the images you want to use onto that folder.

• The Path would look like this: K:\my screensavers\yournewlycreatedfolder\ (images)

"Safely remove" or "Eject" your Nook, unplug and... voilá! New screensavers and/or wallpapers available on your settings menu.

Link to Wallpaper Video Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVaBV5XPpo

Link to Screensaver Video Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZd9JX7uk7I

Please watch the Wallpaper video first, as it shows how to resize, crop and edit the pictures.

Frequent Contributor
Mitzasuro
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper/Screensaver Tutorial

Awesome, It helped me out a lot  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

Great post.  Here are some corrections.

1.  Size for screensavers should be 600 x 800.  (Width x Height).

2.  Size for wallpapers should be 600 x 760 (Accounts for the status bar).

3.  No need to convert images to grayscale; color works fine.

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
Contributor
SechoDB

Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the size, it doesn't matter which order you put it, the biggest number always states the height (talking about the nook obviously)

Is there really a noticeable difference between the 800H and the 760H? I haven't tried.

My point of converting the images to grayscale is for you to be able to preview how the image is gonna look like. Sometimes the images look to "washed out" or "too dark". By converting them to grayscale you get to adjust the final product.  But yes, color works just fine.

Reader 4
GeekFilter
0 Kudos

Yes, there is an art to doing the black & white color coversion--especially since the Nook only displays 16 shades. I've already seen some really clunky wallpapers, leaving them in full color and doing nothing to the brightness or contrast makes them even worse.

Contributor
Just_Me_6
0 Kudos

Why Won't My Wallpaper Work?

I followed the instructions and was able to put some personalized screensavers on my Nook. They are re-sized jpg files and they are in a subfolder under screensavers. Works great! But then I tried to do the exact same thing with wallpapers but my Nook isn't even seeing the subfolder.

What in the world is going on . . . . ?

Contributor
Just_Me_6
0 Kudos

Re: Why Won't My Wallpaper Work?

Just found the answer to my own question. I didn't realize that wallpapers do NOT go under a subfolder as the screensavers do.

:smileyvery-happy:**BTW, for those who like whimsical pics, the clip art that I already own (from http://www.pccrafter.com/index.aspx) is working beautifully as wallpapers and screensavers on my Nook! They are such high quality color images that they still look gorgeous when re-sized and converted to black and white on my Nook screen.

Contributor
SmackDaddy
0 Kudos

800X600 Wallpapers leave thin black lines down either side of the screen after they are scaled by the Nook.

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

Yes indeed, I stand corrected. Wallpapers should be 600 pixels wide by 760 pixels tall.

That way no thick black lines (due to the resizing) will appear.

Thanks.

Contributor
SechoDB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Glad it did Mitzasuro! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
-Onyx-
0 Kudos

Thanks SechoDB, the step by step helped get my various "Don't Panic" screen savers loaded in.  And it definitely made a difference to convert to B&W first - I tried loading in color and lost a lot of the contrast, but once I played with the saturation they came out great.

Inspired Contributor
Undel

Ceiling Cat Watches All

Thanks for the tutorial!

For anyone who's a fan of Caturday, here's one of the wallpapers I made for my nook. :smileyvery-happy: It's to the 600x760 dimensions and is 104KB.

Celing Cat is Watching You

New User
shipsher
0 Kudos

I added a screensaver folder and it worked but now it nor any of the default screensavers(authors, cityscapes, or nature) won't cycle thru the pics.  I tried removing my own screensavers but the default screensavers still won't cycle through pics.  I'm worried that if i leave it in sleep mode too long that the image will burn into the screen.  Any help?

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

Re: Ceiling Cat Watches All

Undel wrote:

Thanks for the tutorial!

For anyone who's a fan of Caturday, here's one of the wallpapers I made for my nook. :smileyvery-happy: It's to the 600x760 dimensions and is 104KB.

That ceiling cat is always watching !

Frequent Contributor
EmmettSnape
0 Kudos

Thanks!   Just added a screensaver folder and wallpaper.  

Frequent Contributor
Rex_Green
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

shipsher wrote:

I added a screensaver folder and it worked but now it nor any of the default screensavers(authors, cityscapes, or nature) won't cycle thru the pics.  I tried removing my own screensavers but the default screensavers still won't cycle through pics.  I'm worried that if i leave it in sleep mode too long that the image will burn into the screen.  Any help?

I can't say why your default screensavers are no longer available, but I believe I've read that images will not "burn in" on the e-ink screens like they might on a monitor. See this here other thread for more (I found it by searching for "burn screen").

Contributor
CARVER405
0 Kudos

Contributor
CARVER405
0 Kudos

SechoDB......I have read your posts and watched your tutorial on Wallpaper and Sceensavers.  I followed everything you have said and each time I attempt to put my picture into the Wallpaper folder it creates a subfolder just as it did when I put my picture into the Screensaver.

How do I prevent it from setting up a subfolder when all I am doing is dragging the pic to the Wallpaper folder.

One other question if you put more than one pic in the screensaver file do they cycle through each pic?

Thanks for any help.

CARVER405

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Unlike a PC, the nook does not cycle through screensaver images when in sleep mode. Instead it chooses a new image each time it goes to sleep.

This is because e-ink screens do not suffer from image burn in.

Contributor
CARVER405
0 Kudos

Thanks for the imput......any idea about my problem with the wallpaper issue?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 497 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: