Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Slammer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Wallpapers

I want to side load some wallpapers for my wife but I can't find any documentation on what size the images should be for optimal scaling on the display.

There is also no mention of whether the nook will scale the images to fit, clip them or whatever. I thought I would connect the nook via USB and examine the My Wallpapers folder, but there weren't any files in the folder I could examine.

So, what is the correct size the wallpaper images should be? Whatever the size, It looks like it would be close to a 3:5 ratio to me.

Also, should the images be formatted in grayscale or will color images work? I couldn't find any details on this subject in the guide.

Thanks.

Proud Nook Owner
Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpapers

i spent a while messing with this and 600 x 760 seems to work for wallpaper if you want to fill the screen with no scaling. For screensavers, you can use the actual native resolution of the screen which is 600 x 800.

If you use 600 x 800 for wallpaper, it will scale the image down to account for the nook's title bar, and leave you with some thin black borders on each side.

Frequent Contributor
Slammer
0 Kudos

cmassa wrote:

i spent a while messing with this and 600 x 760 seems to work for wallpaper if you want to fill the screen with no scaling. For screensavers, you can use the actual native resolution of the screen which is 600 x 800.

If you use 600 x 800 for wallpaper, it will scale the image down to account for the nook's title bar, and leave you with some thin black borders on each side.

Beautiful - exactly what I was looking for. I just found in the manual that they claim the screen is 800 x 600, but as you said it's really 600 x 800 due to the portrait orientation of the device. 

Hope this helps other nook owners out there!

Proud Nook Owner
Reader 2
VicAZ
0 Kudos

How do you download your photos to this thing? I tried to get them from my computer and it looked like it downloaded it, but now I don't see anything on the nook.

Frequent Contributor
Slammer
0 Kudos

Make sure you put the photos in the pre-defined folders. 

Here's what the guide says:

Wallpaper Images

To use your own wallpaper images, side-load them from your personal computer to the folder my wallpapers. You cannot place wallpaper images in other locations in the internal memory, or on a supplemental microSD card. For more information, see “Files and Folders” on page 115.

Screensaver Images

To use your own screensaver images, side-load them from your personal computer to sub-folders of the folder my screensavers. The names of the sub-folders are displayed in the Screensaver menu. You cannot place screensaver images in other locations in the internal memory, or on a supplemental microSD card. For more information, see “Files and Folders” on page 115.

Proud Nook Owner
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

When you see the Screensaver folder on your computer, make a new sub folder for it and give it a name. Once you drag your own photos into this folder it will appear under Settings/Display/Screensaver and you can tap it as your preferred screensaver folder.

VicAZ wrote:

How do you download your photos to this thing? I tried to get them from my computer and it looked like it downloaded it, but now I don't see anything on the nook.

Contributor
googoobo
0 Kudos

You can load color pictures and they show up very nice, especially those picture with good white and dark color contrast.

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Exactly.  If you do as I did and just copy JPGs into the 'my screensavers' top-level folder, you won't see anything to select as an alternate screensaver.  Create a sub-folder (like "my dog" or whatever), put one or more (best to have multiples) in there, then the folder name will show up on the available screensavers list.

Shame the user guide fails to mention this subfolder requirement.

Then again, it also mentions the ability to use alternate themes, but I suspect that feature got dropped at the last minute.  Being in the documentation industry myself, I know that many's the time when what was in the specs and what we published didn't quite make it into production.

Frequent Contributor
stephie_kaye
0 Kudos

Thanks for mentioning 600x760!  I'd been setting mine to 600x800.  I would've wondered why it wasn't working...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Quote Technowitch:

"Shame the user guide fails to mention this subfolder requirement."

Which users guide did you read?

I read the one that had this exact statement:

"To use your own screensaver images, side-load them from your personal computer to sub-folders of the folder my screensavers."

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

You're right; I must've missed it.

Contributor
mick-lovin
0 Kudos

this is probably a completely retarded question, but where did you get the guide from?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I concur with your assessment of the question.

The guide was on the nook when it arrived.

Look in My Documents.

Contributor
mick-lovin
0 Kudos

thank you for backing me up that my question was retarded...and thank you for the information.

Reader 4
Lauren916
0 Kudos

I put an appropriately sized jpg photo in the wallpaper folder, but when I select it for  the wallpaper on the nook, the whole screen just looks solid gray. Any ideas why?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 78 members 1,176 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: