Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Way to organize books?

Can I make folders? Like Fiction, Romance, Non-Fiction, etc...?

Instead of everything in one place?

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Re: Way to organize books?

You can, but the nook will flatten out the file structure.  The inability to sort your books is probably the single greatest complaint.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Maybe they can add that in a update? I mean would make sense.

Contributor
paranoidmother21
0 Kudos

Wait - you want them to do something reasonable???

(I do too - but I suspect we've got a long wait).

Rebecca

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

I think I found a way...Just gonna softroot it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Animebook wrote:

I think I found a way...Just gonna softroot it.

Personal choice, but make sure you know what you're doing:  since you'll be voiding your warranty, halfway through the softrooting process is no place to realize, "hey, this wasn't such a good idea!"  :smileywink:

For me, Nook's perceived organizational shortcomings aren't worth the risk of trashing it:  sorting by author works for me, and I have a low tolerance for self-inflicted pain.  But that's me.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

paranoidmother21 wrote:

Wait - you want them to do something reasonable???

(I do too - but I suspect we've got a long wait).

Rebecca

Okay, it must be my mood of the day because I normally just try and read on past such comments, but.....  I am one of the loudest voices when it comes for calling for better organization options on the Nook and was really disappointed when it wasn't available in the last update.  HOWEVER, to imply that there have been no "reasonable" or timely updates is too harsh and negative...not to mention wrong.  If the register date provided here is correct (July, 2010) then exactly how soon after you registered your Nook did you expect an update?  Just wondering......

Hope to see you later at...

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Its reversible now, you can't brick the Nook with it, you can go back to official firmware if you need to return it. They never know. I read into it. Also Deb, not to be mean but don't you think they should have released organization options at launch, it seems like a normal feature, kinda like if my Mp3 player didn't organize by genre....Sorry I do not follow there logic.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Animebook wrote:

Also Deb, not to be mean but don't you think they should have released organization options at launch, it seems like a normal feature, kinda like if my Mp3 player didn't organize by genre....Sorry I do not follow there logic.

Sure...I would have loved to have seen that at launch...along with a few other things.  My post wasn't questioning the validity of desiring an organizational option, instead pointing out that I found it surprising that someone who had been registered for only a month found BN's updates useless and too far inbetween. 

And as for being mean....no worries...you are just fine.  I don't insult easily and never just by having my opinion questioned :smileyhappy:

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Contributor
justmejh
0 Kudos

Content organization is lacking and until its resolve I recommend only loading what our currently reading and keeping the rest managed on your PC. Am waiting and hoping that 1.5 adds some love to this much needed functionality

Contributor
paranoidmother21
0 Kudos

@ Deb -

Um - please lighten up.

I have been sharing a nook with my daughter since they came out, and finally purchased a second one.  Yes, I separated the accounts and started the second one here in July.  The date of this account does not necessarily correspond with experience with the product.

I do love my nook, I am able to find what I am looking for, but I also feel that the ability to organize books is lacking in the software.  I am far from the only one to feel this way.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paranoidmother If you feel that way like I do, you might wanna soft root it, its actually rather simple...Only takes 10-20 mins from what I hear and you can still boot into the official software.

Here is a link: and vid to help installations:

The second warning they have to put but you can now go back without hassle from what I hear on other forums...

Here is a vid:  of the organization.

Apparently they even added there on free store with nice apps like a pdf app that can zoom( I am sold on nook now because I needed it to read manga)

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

Too bad you have to root the nook to add basic functionality ... 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Re: Way to organize books? -- Abuse Reported

[ Edited ]

Animebook wrote:

paranoidmother If you feel that way like I do, you might wanna soft root it, its actually rather simple...Only takes 10-20 mins from what I hear and you can still boot into the official software.

Here is a link: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot and vid to help installations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yZqThkIBg

The second warning they have to put but you can now go back without hassle from what I hear on other forums...

Here is a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlZ82mg131o of the organization.

Apparently they even added there on free store with nice apps like a pdf app that can zoom( I am sold on nook now because I needed it to read manga)

I've reported this post as an abuse.

Rooting a Nook is a personal decision -- a wrong one in my opinion, but certainly within a Nook owner's right.

Encouraging others to do the same, providing links to facilitate it, and doing it all on B&N's own boards is way out of line.

I expect to receive a storm of abuse because of this -- to which I won't respond, so the trolls can accept their disappointment now -- but it's worth it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

@animebook

Sweet fancy gremlins! :smileysurprised:

I used to stare longingly at the softroot website every day before finally deciding not to softroot (again, new car paranoia and all that) but I'd never seen the new alternate pdf reader. I'm gonna have to tie myself to the mast to stay away from it now :smileysad:. So, so sad. I reallly want zoom and landscape capability.

B&N, it's time to step up and show that you can do just as well as a bunch of hobbyists if you want any street cred at all. :smileytongue:

@paranoidmother

By the way, not trying to spook anyone but I just read another thread where the poster was having issues with new nooks in downgrading the firmware to 1.0, which you have to do prior to softrooting. If it was me, I'd wait just a bit before this is resolved or at least try to figure out your hardware versions to see if this will affect you. The nookdevs forum might already have the info you need - just walk into it as informed as you can. Good luck.

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

Animebook wrote:

Here is a link: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot and vid to help installations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yZqThkIBg

Here is a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlZ82mg131o of the organization.

I've reported this post as an abuse.

Rooting a Nook is a personal decision -- a wrong one in my opinion, but certainly within a Nook owner's right.

Encouraging others to do the same, providing links to facilitate it, and doing it all on B&N's own boards is way out of line.

I expect to receive a storm of abuse because of this -- to which I won't respond, so the trolls can accept their disappointment now -- but it's worth it.

I have to agree.  Five minutes spent on these forums lets you know that there are a good deal of people that have trouble doing simple things like connecting to their WiFi or understanding that if your battery is dead your Nook will appear "frozen".  Once you start pointing people towards softrooting sites and claiming it is "rather simple" you are asking for trouble.

Plus, in your post you never even say that YOU'VE softrooted yours.  You state that "only takes 10-20 mins from what I hear"  and "The second warning they have to put but you can now go back without hassle from what I hear on other forums...".  

As we have seen on these forums, what is simple for some is like rocket surgery for others.  I would NEVER presume to tell anyone on these forums that something is "simple" after having seen that things I consider super easy seem like climbing Mt. Everest to them.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you two serious? I gave the lady an option, I did not even know that was against the rules(Is it even?), unlike you I am a helpful person, and trolls? Look around you, who here is trolling? Not me, and not anyone else so far that I can see. I gave here some links, so what, she can go from that on and then make her own decision after she looks more into it. Get over yourself, and reporting me is just childish. Not everyone wants what you want, she obviously saw the same flaws as me. My word....

At least aditya understands where I am coming from...Btw there are risks in everything, updating firmware is risky to some, so you better not do that also, there is a chance you might brick it ;-)

Guess I will go back to mobileread.com ...Least they are friendly there and help people with this sort of stuff... See: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73217

(Opps I posted another link, my mistake, if the mods feel like this is offensive, delete my account and my topics thanks.)

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just my opinion - Yes, we all want better file organization, but the nook still functions without it.  I still spend hours reading with it and I wouldn't dream of softrooting mine just to try to get better file organization. 

Yes, I hope it comes with the next release, but I'd rather they do it right and not rush it through and mess up something else! 

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah I see what your saying and thats fine, I guess I do not like being reported for giving someone the option, its the users choice, yeah I gave some links(Its called a starting point btw) but I am sure if they had any sense they would look more into it and make a educated decision.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, for anyone tempted to go the route suggested by Animebook, I believe it would void your warranty if you have a problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 616 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: