Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: Way to organize books? -- Abuse Reported

[ Edited ]

Animebook wrote:

"I don't see it as an abuse really, I do see it as stupid! "

Changing the firmware to my personal liking is stupid? Honestly that just sounds insane, If I know I am capable of not messing it up and I like the features, why should I not. If I brick it, guess what, there are always ways to unbrick a device such as this, I installed custom firmware on my wii which also could have bricked(also reversible). Honestly I do not even see why this is a fight, you don't have to listen to me, you can keep your Nook at the state it is in, not fighting that, was Just giving out some info to those interested and if B&N sees that as a problem then they can delete it and send me a message to stop, until then you can whine all you want.

Thanks for your time, I know time is valuable. Also once again I will state this, I only gave out a few links that showed examples, this should not be a crime on any board, because If I did not find this on another board guess what, I would not be buying a Nook, If anything this horrible Nook firmware Just made this business a sale.

People will do what they want, let them.

I never said that...  Posting your intentions on an official company website is stupid when they don't even have to make an effort to track you and note that you voided your warranty!  Some things are better left unsaid in certain forums...

Kinda like if a serial killer registered under his own name on the police website and confessed to the crime, so to speak...

I've never said rooting it was stupid...  Far from it, I've got a jailbroken iPhone, I'm not about to post that on the Apple forum though....

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

aditya wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
Pretty much the same as not posting links to other booksellers sites.

Sure you wanna go with that one? :smileywink:

Some pretty prominent posters have been doing that for a while now, not to mention the ubiquitious (and much appreciated) library help (that is also a direct competitor to B&N). 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Sony+store

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Fictionwise

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Borders+coupon

But yeah, in general I guess most people are right in that it's simply a matter of courtesy to not discuss rooting on here because ignorant folks will link any advice on here to "official B&N advice" - just bad PR and not fair to B&N. Everything else said so far is somewhat irrelevant and a bit of a storm in a teacup. I can see why animebook was so baffled at the flamewar that ensued :smileyvery-happy:.

Actually, asking us not to post links to other vendors is something that happened in the last month or so...  I don't think you'll find any posts from that time period on by "prominent" posters that have included links...

As to the library information, that is something B&N markets with the Nook and they don't have a problem with us helping other people out with that, after all, it's less they have to deal with.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

"Posting your intentions on an official company website is stupid when they don't even have to make an effort to track you and note that you voided your warranty!"

Already apologized for that....O_o! Also I am buying a extended from bestbuy.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Animebook wrote:

"Posting your intentions on an official company website is stupid when they don't even have to make an effort to track you and note that you voided your warranty!"

Already apologized for that....O_o! Also I am buying a extended from bestbuy.

I wouldn't buy the extended from Best Buy, they are better than B&N at finding that kind of thing.  Buy the warranty from SquareTrade, much cheaper and less scrutiny...  Of course the extended doesn't go into effect until after the first year unless it's accidental coverage....

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have actually had pretty well success with Best buy warranties, I use to bring them broken stuff and they would give me a new device if I made up some lame excuss....I am sure it differs store to store, intelligent levels I mean, not store policy. Did it with a couple Mp3 palyers, I must admit I break these often...

Wow SquareTrade is really cheap this place is trusted?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Animebook wrote:

I have actually had pretty well success with Best buy warranties, I use to bring them broken stuff and they would give me a new device if I made up some lame excuss....I am sure it differs store to store, intelligent levels I mean, not store policy. Did it with a couple Mp3 palyers, I must admit I break these often...

Wow...

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Is there another problem? Can't we be civil now? Just a little?

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

I softrooted it perfectly fine, took about 10 mins, Really was simple, Dropped 2 files in, booted it twice...thats it. Also my posts are still here so I would like to say thanks for reporting me, it worked well and obviously B&N thought it was just as harmful and offensive as you guys did.

Good day.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Animebook,

You have been sent a PM and those links have been removed.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

Animebook wrote:

Wow...

Wow is right.  I cannot believe people do this. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: