Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Meglet
0 Kudos

Web Browser- So fare, unusable! What a letdown, even if in Beta form.

The Web Browser feature's keyboard keeps vanishing, leaving me in the middle ( or rather, the very beginning) of trying to type anything.

When I go into the Web Browser and try to use Facebook, for example, it lets me get as far as posting on my wall and then only allows me to type one letter before the keyboard goes away and I cannot get it back. I know that's a pretty sophisticated site to use, but is the same with Google. 

Or if I try to go to Reddit, it loads, and them simply crashes, every single time.  Is this a common glitch?  I understand it's a Beta version, but right now, I don't see anything I can possibly do with the Web Browser.  Any help or similar problems? Not much chatter about the Browser feature I've come across just yet.  I'll call their hotline tomorrow if it's still not working, but I was wondering what the community experienced and what they thought about it.

Meg

Frequent Contributor
Jeffell
0 Kudos

Re: Web Browser- So fare, unusable! What a letdown, even if in Beta form.

Nook should not be considered a surfing computer. It is an ereader, so we shouldn't expect it to do everything an ipad or even an iPod Touch can do. However, it will surf. Try using the mobile style websites designed for small devices with limited screens:

http://cantoni.mobi

This was mentioned in another post, but it might need repeating until people get it. The Nook responds very nicely on these mobile designed versions.

Contributor
Abudaman
0 Kudos

I haven't had a problem with the internet with mine as of yet. The sites listed above are formatted well for the nook as well.

I'm not sure how much it'll help, but did you try lengthening the amount of time the bottom display stays lit for?

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Facebook uses a lot of javascript on their pages. I don't think this sits well with the keyboard and the browser on the nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 286 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: