Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Yvette_C
0 Kudos

Weird Nook charging problem?

I've had my Nook Simple Touch since June and have never had a problem charging it, either using the computer or the wall outlet. I havn't had any kind of problem with my Nook. But yesterday I noticed that the screen was frozen when I tried to use it. So I plugged it into my computer, and the screen popped up saying that the battery was low. Then I noticed that the light was green and not the amber color it usually is when it's charging. I moved the nook to look at it, and the light turned off and that little sound played on my computer, as if I had unplugged it.

Next I plugged it into the outlet and the screen was flickering and the light would turn on and off. I fiddled with the cord and finally it said it was charging. I left it like that overnight and when I got up this morning the light was off. Thinking it was fully charged I unplugged it. It wasn't fully charged, it was at 28%, when I had it plugged in overnight....

I tried again plugging into the computer and the screen kept flickering, so I turned the Nook off, and kept it plugged in. Maybe an hr later I checked to see if it was even charging, and it wasn't. It said that it was DISCHARGING, then it changed to Not Charging, then it changed again to Charging....I don't know what's going on with it. Is it the power chord? The battery? I have no clue. I wanted to come on here to see if anybody had some helpful tips before I resorted to calling or even returning it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Weird Nook charging problem?

Yvette_C wrote:

I've had my Nook Simple Touch since June and have never had a problem charging it, either using the computer or the wall outlet. I havn't had any kind of problem with my Nook. But yesterday I noticed that the screen was frozen when I tried to use it. So I plugged it into my computer, and the screen popped up saying that the battery was low. Then I noticed that the light was green and not the amber color it usually is when it's charging. I moved the nook to look at it, and the light turned off and that little sound played on my computer, as if I had unplugged it.

Next I plugged it into the outlet and the screen was flickering and the light would turn on and off. I fiddled with the cord and finally it said it was charging. I left it like that overnight and when I got up this morning the light was off. Thinking it was fully charged I unplugged it. It wasn't fully charged, it was at 28%, when I had it plugged in overnight....

I tried again plugging into the computer and the screen kept flickering, so I turned the Nook off, and kept it plugged in. Maybe an hr later I checked to see if it was even charging, and it wasn't. It said that it was DISCHARGING, then it changed to Not Charging, then it changed again to Charging....I don't know what's going on with it. Is it the power chord? The battery? I have no clue. I wanted to come on here to see if anybody had some helpful tips before I resorted to calling or even returning it.

The device won't charge if it is turned off, so that won't work.  Try completely rebooting the device, (turn it off, not sleep mode), once it is back on, plug it in and see what happens. If it doesn't charge, if you have a store close by, take it to the store, they can try another cable to see if that's the problem.  

New User
OriannaDe
0 Kudos

Re: Weird Nook charging problem?

I was having very similar problems all week long. I took it to my local B&N and the lady thought it was a cord problem, so I got a different cord. No dice, same issue. Mine is no longer under warranty, so I thought I might as well open it up and see how it all connects, to make sure there was nothing dislodged.

Found a video by Matthias Dailey on youtube about how to do that. I didn't notice anything out of place, but I disconnected the battery and re-connected it. After I got it all back together it had a charge of 95%. Decided to 'top' it off, so it's been on the AC adapter charging for the last hour. The only concern I have now is that even at 100% charge the little indicator light is still showing orange. I'm gonna keep my eyes on it.

So, IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS, as a last resort I would suggest trying this.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 171 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: