Contributor
ruthmolenaar
0 Kudos

Weird issue w/ My Doc PDF names showing up differnt on Nook and when plugged into computer

Ok--some weirdness here---

on my Nook I have  quite a few books --pdf's, that I had had on here from back in the good ol' days (ya know, before portable readers I could afford)

annyway, I side loaded these into my Nook while connected to the computer. On the folder on the computer, names are perfect, on my Nook however, am getting strings of numbers, or sometimes MICROSOFT DOCUMENTS then either a string or a title, and then sometimes just the word 'Document'

I would like to have these be actual usable titles, but cannot see hwere or how to change them to such since the pdf's  in the e:nook folder are fine. I did go into properties of a few of them and see only the regular title

any ideas??

Ruth

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane

Re: Weird issue w/ My Doc PDF names showing up differnt on Nook and when plugged into computer

Calibre will let you fix the titles and authors (otherwise known as metadata) for your books.  It's a free program, and really easy to use.  Just load the books that you want to fix into Calibre and click on them to change the metadata.  It's pretty straightforward, and you can sync them right to your nook from the program!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Re: Weird issue w/ My Doc PDF names showing up differnt on Nook and when plugged into computer

DariaJane wrote:

Calibre will let you fix the titles and authors (otherwise known as metadata) for your books.  It's a free program, and really easy to use.  Just load the books that you want to fix into Calibre and click on them to change the metadata.  It's pretty straightforward, and you can sync them right to your nook from the program!

I use Calibre and have edited the metadata on several of my sideloaded books as well and have had this happen too.  Everything will look good in Calibre but when I load it on my Nook sometimes the titles aren't showing up the same.  Haven't figured out a way to fix it yet, but I will post here if I do.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
B&N Bookseller
DariaJane

There's also an easier program I've been using to simply change the metadata on PDFs...It can be found here.  Just download the BeCyPDFMetaEdit and run it.  It will ask you to open a file and show you the metadata that is already on the file (such as MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT, etc.).  You can change this, save the changes, and you're good to go.  It's a little known application, but I have had less trouble with it than with Calibre.  Calibre seems to work well for most of the people here, so that's why I recommended it first, but I like this program better.

Contributor
ruthmolenaar
0 Kudos

DariaJane,

the little app worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!!  Thank you all so much--I can see titles now, YAY!

Ruth

New User
patooie
0 Kudos

thank goodness I found your posting. I was going bananas. Although it's a manual process and fairly tedius, the end result is the way it should be. thank you!!

New User
patooie
0 Kudos

oh yeah, forgot to mention that I"m using the BeCyPDFMetaEdit

New User
rondori
0 Kudos

Anything for mac osx?

rondori

Reader 2
KristinH
0 Kudos

thanks so much for the tip on this freeware! The naming conventions in My Documents has been driving me crazy. Thanks again - this works like a charm!

New User
Evsrack
0 Kudos

Please let me know if these software requires manual editing. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Thank you for this tip about BeCyPDF, this works great.  I fixed all of my books with numbers for titles and the ones that said Word.....  Looks so much better :smileyhappy:

Just to check:  Can only be used to fix PDF files correct?

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Evsrack wrote:

Please let me know if these software requires manual editing. Thanks.

I manually edited mine, but it was easy.  The file name comes in when you open the file, so I did a lot of copy paste too.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 400 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: