Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
QuincyMI
0 Kudos

What is the wifi function good for exactly???

I've been on this board quite a bit.  Much less often now with the latest update download thank you!  And I've also searched on my latest and last (hopefully) question.  I live between two major metropolitan areas and don't travel that much so I can connect reliably with the wireless option when shopping/downloading.  My question is then, what is the wifi good for, in my case?  Does it only offer a more solid wireless connection when downloading books?  Granted, I understand it will display special offers if you're actually within site of a store but I really don't see a reason to go to a store again.  Is there something this wi-fi, away from a BN store, will do for me especially since there is no browser, etc.?  Apologize if this topic has been posted elsewhere but I couldn't find it.  Thanks.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Re: What is the wifi function good for exactly???

[ Edited ]

The WiFi feature is mostly for those who don't have access to an AT&T 3G network.  America is full of such locations.

It can hit higher speeds downloading books and software update, but its not really necessary.  Books are fairly small files.

Contributor
Reading_Is_Learning
0 Kudos

Currently, for you and for most people that are in "good" 3G areas, wifi is just icing.  It may provide a faster connection/download speed when you're in a location where the wifi is faster than 3G.

From what I'm gathering though, the best thing about wifi is the possibilities it makes available down the road.  For those who have rooted their nooks (effectively voiding their warranties, but it's a choice some people are happy with), they are able to download online articles via RSS or use a simple browser (wiki searches anyone?).

The great thing about having wifi available is that these apps (and hopefully official apps that someday come from B&N and can be better-integrated within the context of reading a book) can utilize the wifi connectivity of the nook without affecting the 3G data downloads that are currently made available for free with the nook.  Think what would happen if these apps had to use 3G instead of wifi...how long would AT&T put up with that?

Granted, this is a bit "pie in the sky" thinking and I wouldn't use it as a major selling point for the nook today.  (Buy it for what you can do with it today or else you'll be extremely disappointed and frustrated if takes a while for B&N to come out with the apps.)  But it sure is nice to know that it's possible in the future, especially since it's already being used by those who have been willing to forego their nook warranties for the additional functionality they get by rooting their nooks.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

I have a Sprint wireless mobile broadband and router setup for connecting my home network to the internet. While I have decent 3G connectivity for PC internet browsing, I found it slow when downloading to the nook. Turning on my wifi hotspot reduces my downloading time substantially especially for upgrades to the nook, so when I want to check the daily (not something I do very often) or know there's an upgrade coming out, I just enable my wifi first and never have any trouble with the downloads.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I use wifi at home because my connection to the 3g network isn't always consistent in the house.

And, I still go into the stores.  Not necessarily for the in store content, but to browse the books.  I browse the new books and see books that look interesting that I may not have otherwise noticed on the website.  The stores also have displays at times on a group of books or an author that grab my interest.   I use the Nook to add them to my ewish list.

I browse the new and upcoming releases on the website, but there are a lot of books released that may not make it on that listing or that I simply overlook.  So, I still like going to the store to browse.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

WiFi is almost ALWAYS faster than 3G.  Usually by 3 to 5 times.

When there is no 3G, the nook drops to Edge.  Even crappy WiFi is 8 or 10 times faster than Edge.

WiFi takes less power, because the transmitter only has to transmit 30 feet, not 5 miles.  However, WiFi is a continuous connection then its on, whereas the 3G radio drops back to a barely alive status when you are not actually sending or receiving.  

The nook always leaves the transmitters up and running when you are sitting in the Settings page or My Library.  (I can't believe they really intended to do this, it must be a bug).  Combined with the continuous handshaking chatter over wifi, this is a real battery killer. Worse than 1.1.1. 

Unless you are surfing the store, non of this matters much.  

Inspired Contributor
bermygirlJS
0 Kudos

I live in Bermuda so have no 3G connection whatsoever.  My wifi allows me to get my wallstreet journal everyday.  While you maynot use your wifi in your everyday nook usage, if you ever travel, especially out of the country or to anywhere without a 3G connection, you'll probably be happy to have wifi to have access to your library and any subscriptions you may have.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

QuincyMI,

Your nook can connect to B&N Fast & Free Wireless networks in the United States. These networks are cellular data networks that are widely available. Your nook cannot connect to other cellular data networks in the United States. It cannot connect to any international cellular data networks, including those in Canada and Mexico.

However, Wi-Fi connectivity is possible globally. In areas without B&N Fast & Free Wireless coverage, you can rely on Wi-Fi to access network services. Wi-Fi access is available in all Barnes & Noble Bookstores.

There are differences between B&N Fast & Free Wireless and Wi-Fi.  Both are wireless connectivity that your nook uses to reach the Barnes & Noble eBookstore and your online digital library. B&N Fast & Free Wireless uses AT&T's cellular data networks. Typically, these are 3G (third generation) networks, but your nook can also use 2G, 2.5G, and 3.5G cellular data networks. Wi-Fi hotspots are local wireless networks that offer wireless Internet access in a specific area.

Your nook uses the best network it can find, considering network speed and signal strength. In a Barnes & Noble bookstore, your nook uses the store's Wi-Fi hotspot. If you configure other Wi-Fi hotspots, it uses those preferentially when it needs a network connection (if the signal strength is OK). If a Wi-Fi hotspot is not available, your nook uses B&N Fast & Free Wireless. Again, it picks the best cellular connection based on speed and signal strength.

Contributor
QuincyMI
0 Kudos

All good responses, thanks!  Guess I don't notice much in the way of slowdown for the occasional book download since I'm in a metro area and don't really connect to get any daily downloads.  In my case, it really just is just icing on the cake.  Thanks!

Contributor
giganova
0 Kudos

I must be doing something wrong because other than the B&N hotspot, I have not been able to log onto ANY wifi network due to the lack of a browser and not being able to enter a password.

Am I doing sth wrong?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

giganova wrote:

I must be doing something wrong because other than the B&N hotspot, I have not been able to log onto ANY wifi network due to the lack of a browser and not being able to enter a password.

Am I doing sth wrong?

You are not reading the manual.

You can't log into any wifi that needs a password.  It says this in the manual.

Your home wifi should not need a password, nor will many free wifi in coffee shops, public libraries and some hotels.  Free wifi is pretty easy to find in urban areas (although those areas also tend to have AT&T service, so there is no real need of wifi).

Just go to settings, and tap wifi and it will scan for available wifi.  Pick any one that is not secured and chances are you will be able to connect.  You can even borrow a cup of wifi from your neighbors unsecured router (or ask them if its ok).   The nook never puts any significant load on wifi precisely because it doesn't have a browser.

Correspondent
EricTrickster
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Your home wifi should not need a password...

Slightly off topic I know, but I saw this and chuckled; I'm guessing you don't live in a large metro area?  I don't know anyone who DOESN'T encrypt/password protect their wifi here in NYC.  Not unless they like having a ton of users piggybacking on their wifi like ticks on a dog :robotsurprised:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I said your home wifi should not need a password, I didn't mean it should be unencrypted.

In fact I always recommend WPA2.

The password referred to in this thread is the web page based password screen that pops up at At&T hotspots, Hotels, etc.  The nook can't handle web page logins.  

I will bet you dollars to donuts I can fire up WiFiFoFum on my Iphone and find 20 open routers on any given square block in virtually any part of NYC.  After all, Folks there, on average, are no more tech savvy than downtown Seattle, or Redmond or other tech places, and there are always some people who just don't care, or who are clueless.

Contributor
CanonicalKoi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I use WiFi because I'd have to drive 2 miles down the road to get to a spot where there's even minimal cell coverage.  As for router passwords, there isn't one on ours, but it's not open--it only allows Mac addresses I've entered into it to access it.  See?  Passwords aren't the only path to security.  :smileywink:

ETA: And that was the first kindness this site did for me; a quick search and I knew where to find the Mac address on my nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 685 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: