Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Weaesq
0 Kudos

Why does my Nook constantly reset?

My nook seems to be constantly resetting itself -- essentially, after a period of non-use, it reverts to factory settings, deleting all content (including the software upgrade, all settings, etc.).  It has happened when I waited too long to recharge and the battery went dead (traveling) but it has also happened when I just ignore it for a couple of days.

Is it retailiating for hurt feelings?  How do I make it stop?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Why does my Nook constantly reset?

You should call Tech support on this.  

Even with the battery removed the nook should not delete all content or revert to factory settings.

You are the first to post this that I have ever seen.  

Is it possible you are misinterpreting what you are seeing?

How certain are you that it is actually reverting to factory settings?  What do you check to determine this?

If you check for new B&N content do your books show up again?

Frequent Contributor
cmehner
0 Kudos

Are you pressing the 'n' button as you press the top button? this is said to reset to factory defaults. Perhaps you are inadvertently pressing the touch screen area as you put the nook to sleep.

New User
HDfxdwg99
0 Kudos

mine does this too.  i haven't been able to get through a single book yet and am extremely frustrated.  i am ready to return it and go with another brand.

New User
Weaesq
0 Kudos

Don't think I'm misinterpreting.  On restart, it downloads the update (1.0.1, not 1.2 which I got an announcement about today).  The screen saver reverts to authors, it deletes all personal information input and I have to reload all content.  I can get books back, but it looses my place.

It basically just blanks out and I have to reload everything.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I don't believe 1.0.1 is available for download.  So if you think its downloading, I'm betting its not.  I'm betting it is finding some broken half download that is sitting on the nook somewhere.

Follow the FAC on the B&N site, and manually download the update to your COMPUTER.

Then hook up the nook and search it for a file named signed_brovo_update.dat in all directories of the nook.

If you find it, delete it.

Then copy the downloaded new signed_brovo_update.dat from your computer to the nook (root of the drive, not any subdirectory).

Properly Eject.  (If the USB CABLE symbol does not go away you didn't properly eject.

The nook should take over from there.

If that does not work, its Music on Hold time..  :smileysad:

Reader
nooksad
0 Kudos

Was using my nook this am - put it in its case took it out this am and it was completely reset - I had to re-register my nook - enter in all my info include various wirless passwords for a couple of hotspots - to be honest it was a pain. In addition once I got it all setup - my library is now empty? not sure what is going on?

I did notice that the software version is 1.1.1 - maybe they pushed out a upgrade - if this is going to happen every software update -I am going to want my $ back

singed - nook sad:-(

New User
tovella
0 Kudos

this exact issue happened to me today (although this was the first time for me), and i actually posted my own question regarding it, before seeing this.  mine was also completely charged, but i hadn't used it for about a week. it takes a lot more than just pressing and holding a botton to fully reset your nook (based on what it says in the user guide online).

mine too said that it was rebooting to v 1.0. 

so irritated. i'm really not feeling up to starting all over again.

Contributor
jxmoore
0 Kudos

My Nook also contantly resets to factory settings. I find if I have turned it off, it takes a while to come on then I get the message downloading software then it states factory settings. I have to re register and re download the 1.4 software update.. I have had my nook since July 2010 and it has reset 4 times. After the second time I bought an SD memory card so now I only have to re register and download the software upgrade. it is VERY annoying!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,995
0 Kudos

jxmoore: call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

Your NOOK shouldn't be doing that.

New User
stargazie
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue with my First Edition Nook. I have had it for over two years and it just started doing this a few months ago. Oh, and by the way, I have called Tech support twice and although they were able to help me reregister (I'm now a pro at this) they were cluless as to why it keeps happening-sometimes as often as three times a week.

It takes about 1/2 an hour to go through all the software updates, dowloading all my books again, and resetting my own settings.

New User
stargazie
0 Kudos

I have called customer support twice over this issue. They help with information to reregister and download things again-but they have no idea why this keeps happening.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

stargazie wrote:

I have called customer support twice over this issue. They help with information to reregister and download things again-but they have no idea why this keeps happening.

This is what I would try. Attach your Nook to your computer open the Nook drive and delete the update file. Turn on wifi and let it automatically update or download the update and sideload it to your nook.

Contributor
HecubaYH
0 Kudos

My Nook has just joined this unhappy club.  It was working fine, then I turned off completely as I knew I wasn't going to use it again for a week or so.  Turned it on again today to buy a book, and was surprised to see it looking for an update.  Like everyone else, I now have to start from scratch.  This returns us to the old issue of why can't you simply set the reader not to update?  It may not be the end of the world, but this is an unnecessary annoyance at a bad time.   Just one more reason why my next e-reader will probably not be a Nook.

New User
May62
0 Kudos

This happened to me several times too, very frustrating. I lost all my FAVORITES and books and documents. I have to reset up again again and again.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 473 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: