Reader 2
AltaMan
0 Kudos

Wi-Fi Connectivity Needed

[ Edited ]

I have an original 3G Nook. Just got this message when trying to download a book today:

You need to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot to complete your request. Please try again after setting up Wi-Fi.

So why is Wi-Fi connectivity needed when I have a 3G Nook? 3G is working, it downloaded the book title via 3G. Nook updated to the latest version - 1.5.

The book is Brandon Sanderson - Way of the Kings.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

Re: Wi-Fi Connectivity Needed

There is a file size limit for 3g downloads.  The file size for that book is 11516KB or approx 11MB.  I don't remember the limit - I'm sure someone else will post that - but I am pretty sure that 11MB's exceeds the limit.

Reader 2
AltaMan
0 Kudos

Ah, thanks. I didn't know there was a limit.. and I didn't think eBooks could be that big. Guess they added a lot of pictures?

Wish there was a warning when I purchased it. I don't have WiFi at home, and shouldn't really be connecting at work to download books. Guess I'll have to find a free one around town or go to my local B&N to download it.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AltaMan wrote:

I have an original 3G Nook. Just got this message when trying to download a book today:

You need to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot to complete your request. Please try again after setting up Wi-Fi.

So why is Wi-Fi connectivity needed when I have a 3G Nook? 3G is working, it downloaded the book title via 3G. Nook updated to the latest version - 1.5.

The book is Brandon Sanderson - Way of the Kings.

Downloads over a certain size have to be downloaded via WiFi.   Such as the updates for the operating system and some of the larger eBooks.

Since you have 3G nook, you can get free access to ANY AT&T public hotspot.   They are in many places, also in your Barnes and Noble store.

OR

if you have a computer available, you can download to the computer and then sideload to the nook. 

---------
Don
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:58 members 493 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: