Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
CurtisP
0 Kudos

Wi-Fi Nook - is this working right?

Ok, bear with me as I'm going to try and provide as much detail as I can.

Wife picked up my new Wi-Fi nook on July 12th (1 1/2 weeks ago).  First out of the box, I charge it up per the manual, get wi-fi working with my home network and that's it.  Not understanding sleep vs. power off (yet), I powered down after the battery meter icon showed fully charged.

Next day, I sideload some books on it, start reading and really like the experience.  Throughout the week, everything works fine, I'm using it about 30 minutes a day tops and by Saturday night, my battery was way low, so I plug it in to charge up (its in sleep mode if I recall correctly).  My amber light was on and I figured it was charging.

After the day or so, I go to turn it on and the reading screen is all messed up in that I get partial picures, the wall paper stops half-way as it flies in to be displayed and issues like that.  The touchscreen works fine and I can manuver it just fine, but that reading screen just seems to be lagging much much more than when I started, and that's if it actually works.  It's not uncommon at all for my screen to "refresh" on "the Daily" and present me with the daily menu screen along with a partial of the wallpaper, all of the wallpaper or a shadow of it.  The best way I can describe it is that it seems like my reader screen just isn't refreshing fast enough for some reason.

I did the start 6 times reset method (twice) and nothing seemed to resolve.  In fact, even the booting up screen displays partialy and just generally flakes out.  Customer Service was called Tuesday night and they said "sounds like a bad unit, you want a return sent or go to the store?"  I chose to go to the store the next evening, so I put the unit in the box (in sleep mode) and left it untouched until I got to the store the next night - 24 hours later. In the store, its all of a sudden working fine, like nothing's wrong!  I tell the clerk "well, maybe its just operator error then" and I sit in the coffee shop for 30 minutes putting the nook through its paces.  It never reproduces the problem, so I shrug my shoulders and drive home (45 minutes one way mind you).

Tonight, I get ready to reload my books and guess what - same symptoms are showing up again!  So I'm wondering, am I not patient enough when waking the unit from sleep?  How long do I need to wait for the reader screen to refresh off the screensaver image to the wallpaper or the "reading now" or whatever?

Or do I really have a defective unit and should just return it for a replacement on Saturday?

Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Wi-Fi Nook - is this working right?

[ Edited ]

Sounds busted to me.

When waking up from "screensaver" sleep, it should only take a few seconds at most, and usually less than a second. You shouldn't ever have any half-this/half-that pages; the screen update is done all at once.

(Note that for items like The Daily, the information will "fill in" over time as it's downloaded. But that's not the same as half this and half that.)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Reader 2
Willbook
0 Kudos

I read in the owner's manual that there is an on/off option for the wifi portion of the Nook. However, I do not see this on the Nook - wifi version (perhaps this is only for the wifi-3G version). In order to turn off the wfi, I have to turn on the "Airplane Mode". Wouldn't it be better to just simply have an on/off option?

Also, why is there no password protection option for the Nook unit? Most electronic devices provide the User with the option of creating a four character (or more) entry as a password to turn the unit on. This is good in the event you should lose or have your Nook stolen. Without the password the User cannot access the device (especially for purchasing new books, magazine, etc.).

Will this option ever become available in future firmware updates? Please advise. Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Good morning, Willbook,

There's a thread for requested improvements to the software here - 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Suggested-Improvements-For-V-1-5/m-p/...

The way I look at it, turning on Airplane Mode shows that your wifi is off, so it is an off switch with the added benefit of a reminder showing up in the form of the little airplane icon.  

I believe others have posted about the option of password protection, but it doesn't hurt to add your voice.

Reader 4
CurtisP
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

When waking up from "screensaver" sleep, it should only take a few seconds at most, and usually less than a second. You shouldn't ever have any half-this/half-that pages; the screen update is done all at once.

Thanks Doug - that's what I needed to confirm (I'd played with demo units, but not a significant amount of time).  This is one of those things where one just "feels" it isn't working right.

Thanks also to FrogAlum for responding as well.

Looks like I'm headed to the store tomorrow.

CurtisP

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Willbook wrote:

In order to turn off the wfi, I have to turn on the "Airplane Mode". Wouldn't it be better to just simply have an on/off option?

The "Airplane Mode" is the simple on/off option. It might be a bit confusing at first, because Airplane Mode On means Wi-Fi Off, and vice versa. But that's all it is.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 662 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: