Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
yofiveoh
0 Kudos

Wi Fi connection lost

I'm pulling what's left of my hair out with the wi-fi connection on my new Nook (software ver. 1.4). I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router that works fine on all of my other hardware. Not sure of the encryption method, but it's either WEP or WPA. I've tried every which way, but nothing makes a difference.

Here's the problem: When I unlock the router SSID and add the Nook as a device, it shows up on my network, the Nook connects, and the connection is fine. BUT..... As soon as I re-lock the network, the Nook loses the connection and will not re-connect without re-entering the router passcode. It seems that unless the router is broadcasting the SSID, the Nook won't connect. For security reasons I don't want an open network. I'd also hate to have to unlock and relock my router every time I connect. Can somebody please help me out here? Thanks.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: Wi Fi connection lost

Nook works fine without the SSID broadcasting (I think since 1.2, before then it didn't work). However my testing showed that if you didn't have the SSID broadcasting you had to define the hotspot while it wasn't broadcasting.  If you defined it while it was broadcasting and then switched to not broadcasting it wouldn't work until you deleted the definition on your nook and defined it again.

You must Know your security type (WEP/WPA/WPA2 TKIP AES) if this is the case.  Note that WPA2 AES is the preferred security.

New User
yofiveoh
0 Kudos

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for your response, TNS. I found the problem.

I use a program called Network Magic to manage my wireless network. Turns out that there is a check box security setting that allows you to hide the network name from being broadcast, making the network invisible to outsiders (and obviously, the Nook as well). Once I unchecked the box and allowed the network name to be broadcast I was able to enter the WEP key and automatically access my network. My network is now visible, but it is still secured by a key, which shows up as a padlock next to the network name on the Nook. The Nook now finds and accesses my network without having to re-enter the access key every time. I don't know if routers have the option of making a network "invisible", but this might be a common problem for some of the people having trouble staying connected to their network.

The bottom line is this: If your network name doesn't automatically show up as a wireless hotspot on your nook, and you have to keep navigating your nook to "other wireless hotspot", and then entering your WEP key in order to connect, you'll need to configure your router to make your network visible to the Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You've confirmed my suspicion.

Anyone going to Other Hotspot is already on the wrong path, because its so easy to mess up doing the set up that way.  Hiding your SSID forces you into that method.

Better than using WEP, use Network Magic to set your routers to use WPA2. 

It provides better protection than hiding your SSID, which provides no real protection at all.

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

Re: Wi Fi connection lost-On but won't connect

Ok! Here is my problem. My Nook will show a connection, but it won't let me register or get on the internet get a error code c6120. I went on my router and enter the nook MAC Address and still won't allow be access. Support is no help so hope someone out there can.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@MimaCL,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

This should fix your connection issue:

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

That didn't work at all. I also made the Linksys Router unsecured and still work. The Nook says I'm connected, but the shop and Web says Network not available. I went to a B&N and got connected and a McDonald's and got connected so what is it with the Nook at home. My laptops and PC and printer work fine wireless.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@MimaCL,

Try these steps again but include step 5 and let me know if it worked for you...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

Connected but Nook won't go online

Here is my problem and I have call support 4 times now and they can't figure it out. There solution is to take it back and get a New Nook to see if it will work.

I can connect on my wireless at home because the nook says it is connected, but everytime I try to shop or go to B&N on the web or Google it says Network Not Available.

But if I go to a AT&T Hot Spot like McDonald's or B&N it will work. I'm thinking that Nook is just set to accept AT&T Spots. My router is set unsecured so can't be that and I have No problems with my work Laptop at home working wireless or my wife's laptop or my printer or my WII working wireless so what gives.

HELP!!!!!!!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Connected but Nook won't go online

@MimaCL,

Have you tried these steps again but include step 5 and let me know if it worked for you...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

*Please don't continue to post the same question several times in several places.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

@Michael_V:

I think a LOT of these problems are due to the Nook requiring Authentication mode Open when using WEP, but so many routers are set for pre-shared-key.

Is there ANY plans to fix this, (it used to work)?

When can we expect the next release to correct all the disastrous changed introduced in version 1.4?

The RMA load induced by Wifi failures and Battery problems since release 1.4 must he huge.

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

This did not work at all very disappointed with the Nook. I think I will get dollars back and get a Kindle.:smileymad:

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

OK! That didn't work at all! Have any other idea that will help. Just can't figure out if the Nook says I'm connected it should allow me to go online to shop????? It seems that IT doesn't have a answer. Could it be your 1.4 update that it came with when I purchase the Nook?

Contributor
MimaCL
0 Kudos

Maybe it is the 1.4 Version. I use WEP and I put the Password in and it connects but it will not let me on the WEB or Shop it comes back as Network Unavailable.

:robotmad:

Frequent Contributor
worthmaur
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

I had a somewhat different problem. My wi-fi was fine; I was connected and I could shop.

The problem was that for the last three days I couldn't get The Daily; it never updated. I just tried your tip #5 to reboot the Nook and the problem was solved! The Daily is back and just in time for Free Fridays!

Thanks Mike!

New User
stammer476
0 Kudos

I've been using my Nook on my home wireless network for months without any problem.  Then, this morning I try to connect, and it can't find my signal anymore.  My other devices are working fine, but both of my Nooks (my wife and I each have one) simply can't recognize the signal anymore.

I've tried the suggestions (rebooting router, rebooting Nook, changing SSID, etc.) and nothing has worked.  The only change I can think of is that I have to reboot the router a few days ago because of a network problem.  Other than that, on changes have been made.

My security is WPA2.

Any help?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

stammer476 wrote:

I've been using my Nook on my home wireless network for months without any problem.  Then, this morning I try to connect, and it can't find my signal anymore.  My other devices are working fine, but both of my Nooks (my wife and I each have one) simply can't recognize the signal anymore.

I've tried the suggestions (rebooting router, rebooting Nook, changing SSID, etc.) and nothing has worked.  The only change I can think of is that I have to reboot the router a few days ago because of a network problem.  Other than that, on changes have been made.

My security is WPA2.

Any help?

Please define "Can't recognize the signal"/

The nook never says those words, so it would be more helpful is you told us exact symptoms.

New User
stammer476
0 Kudos

It just says, "Not in range, remembered" even though the Nook is two feet from the wireless router.  

I tried "forgetting" the hotspot, but now when I scan for signals it won't come up.  It will only show my neighbor's wireless signal.

All of my other wireless devices are showing the signal and connecting without a problem. 

This problem is on both of my Nooks.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, now just to be sure, nobody talked you into hiding your SSID or mac address filtering did they?   

Reboot everything, and let the electrons sort it out. ;-)

New User
stammer476
0 Kudos

No, I haven't changed anything from when it was working before.  The only possible difference was that my internet connection went down about a week ago and I rebooted the routers.  

And I've rebooted everything multiple times.  No dice.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 228 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: