Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi issues with Nook

I have dropped it...like 2 months ago, and it still worked fine. We changed the wifi in...March? Haven't put on a case or anything like that. It DID get a new scratch but I don't think that's the problem...No settings have been changed except the timezone...no settings changed on the Wifi.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

If you are not seeing any hotspots in range, even when you know you are within range of one, your wifi radio in your nook is not working. Either it is off or defective. Components do fail for no particular reason, especially in the era of lead free components. Solder joints go bad, metal whiskers literally grow and short things out. Sorry to hear your misfortune.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Is there a way to replace the wifi radio without buying a new Nook? Or is that more expensive...

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

beautybabydoll wrote:

Is there a way to replace the wifi radio without buying a new Nook? Or is that more expensive...

There is no way for the average consumer to replace the wi-fi radio in the nook.   The only way is if you have access to the necessay part(s) and EXCEPTIONAL soldering skills. 

If your radio is not functioning then the only way to remedy it is to get another nook - either a new one or perhaps a refurbished one if your original is still under warranty.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
SunnySR
0 Kudos

I have a Mac that is connected to a dlink router (draft 802.11N) which connected to my NOOK just fine using the WEP security settings.  However, my HD crashed which I had to replace and then reconfigure my router so I decided to update my security to WPA2 (I believe it is TKIP).  However, when I try to add the WiFi to my NOOK, it will not accept a 65 character WPA2 passphrase.  It tell me it can only accept 63 characters??!!  I prefer not to reconfigure my router back to WEP, any suggestions?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

SunnySR wrote:

I have a Mac that is connected to a dlink router (draft 802.11N) which connected to my NOOK just fine using the WEP security settings.  However, my HD crashed which I had to replace and then reconfigure my router so I decided to update my security to WPA2 (I believe it is TKIP).  However, when I try to add the WiFi to my NOOK, it will not accept a 65 character WPA2 passphrase.  It tell me it can only accept 63 characters??!!  I prefer not to reconfigure my router back to WEP, any suggestions?

For WPA2, you should be able to choose your password to make it shorter.  You won't need to go back to WEP, just configure your router with a shorter password.

New User
NanoWzrd
0 Kudos

I am having problems connecting my Touch Nook to my wireless router at home. My Nook software version is 1.0.1. My router is a Linksys WRT54GV3. I am broadcasting my SSID, and don't have MAC address filtering turned on. All the advanced wireless setting were left at the factory default. I am using 802.11g protocol and for security I've enabled WPA Pre-Shared Key with AES encryption.

After I enter my key the Nook Wireless Setting screen cycles between "connected,testing..." and "Connected, but no Internet" . The Nook was given an IP address by my router's DHCP service.

If I disable wireless security on my home router, I can connect.
 If I take my Nook to a open hotspot (NYPL), I can connect.
 If I take my Nook to a local B&N store and use their WPA network, I can connect.
If I try on 9/18/11 at home with WPA, I can connect. If I try on 9/21/11, or theresfter, at home with WPA, I can not connect.

Using the same wireless router my laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3 or Linux Backtrack 5 (based on an Ubuntu 8,x distro), have no problems connecting.

I have tried various combinations of turning wifi on / off; turning the Nook on / off; turning the router on /off; turning the router's firewall on/ off; turning my brain on /off. Nothing (except the last) helped.

This is an old router model. It replaced the WRT54GV5 which died after many years of faithful service. I don't do any home video streaming and don't see the need to replace the router since I can use the above workarounds as needed.

Any suggestions?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NanoWzrd wrote:

I am having problems connecting my Touch Nook to my wireless router at home. My Nook software version is 1.0.1. My router is a Linksys WRT54GV3. I am broadcasting my SSID, and don't have MAC address filtering turned on. All the advanced wireless setting were left at the factory default. I am using 802.11g protocol and for security I've enabled WPA Pre-Shared Key with AES encryption.

After I enter my key the Nook Wireless Setting screen cycles between "connected,testing..." and "Connected, but no Internet" . The Nook was given an IP address by my router's DHCP service.

If I disable wireless security on my home router, I can connect.
 If I take my Nook to a open hotspot (NYPL), I can connect.
 If I take my Nook to a local B&N store and use their WPA network, I can connect.
If I try on 9/18/11 at home with WPA, I can connect. If I try on 9/21/11, or theresfter, at home with WPA, I can not connect.

Using the same wireless router my laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3 or Linux Backtrack 5 (based on an Ubuntu 8,x distro), have no problems connecting.

I have tried various combinations of turning wifi on / off; turning the Nook on / off; turning the router on /off; turning the router's firewall on/ off; turning my brain on /off. Nothing (except the last) helped.

This is an old router model. It replaced the WRT54GV5 which died after many years of faithful service. I don't do any home video streaming and don't see the need to replace the router since I can use the above workarounds as needed.

Any suggestions?

I'm not a router expert by any means, but I do remember reading here on the boards some information about shared key vs open key.  IIRC, the Nook doesn't support shared key, it only supports open key.  Try searching the boards for something like "shared key" and see if you can find the posts about this topic.

New User
NanoWzrd
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response.  I try to do additional research this weekend.

Since this an old router I am limited in my wireless setup options.  I changed the encryption from AES to TKIP and I am able to connect reliably. So, thanks for your help

I am not sure what is meant by 'open key'.  But your reply got me thinking about the evolution by the Wi-Fi Alliance in their implementation of the 802.11i standard.  They went from a poor stopgap of WEP to WPA with TKIP encryption.  WPA was not a complete implementation of 802.11i.  Then there was a security issue with TKIP and they replaced it with AES.  Then the implemented WPA2 which conformed to the standard.

It is possible that B&N decided not to support WPA/AES since newer routers implement the full 802.11i standard, or there is a bug in the firmware.  Either way, I have a solution to the problem.

AFAIK there are three good reasons to lock down your home wifi network: (1) bandwidth theft.  Your neighbor is streaming videos and hogging your throughput; (2) your neighbor is using your leased IP to commit a crime for which you can possibly be held accountable for; (3) you don't want your neighbor reading your emails:smileyhappy: (there is a addon for Firefox called HTTPS Everywhere which first tries a HTTPS connection to a web site - or change your profile in Gmail)

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I don’t know if this experience is related to this forum, however, I must admit that for almost 10 months I could not connect my N1E to any source of wi-fi at all.  I purchased my N1E in December of last year and was unable to use its wi-fi capabilities until three weeks ago, when the wi-fi connection was reestablished in my home.  Once my modem was successfully installed, like by magic, my device established a connection with the wi-fi provided by My Internet Company.  Ever since, I have no problems connecting to the wi-fi services offered in restaurants like Wendy’s, Panera, etc.   Only in a few instances I have not been able to connect to the B&N shop from my home.  My N2E has always been able to connect to B&N and other wi-fi hot spots. 

Lector GS
New User
sw7517
0 Kudos

same issue today with Nook just purchased. can't connect to any wifi
New User
sw7517
0 Kudos

This is my home wifi
New User
SwoonMS
0 Kudos

In desperation I tried enabling "airplane mode" and then I disabled it again. Downloading worked the very next attempt.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:13 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: