Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi issues with Nook

DLReid wrote:

I have found that if the wifi does not broadcast it's SSID then the nook won't connect. 

The wifi connection we have at work has WEP security setup and I setup the nook to connect and it does with no problem - our work connection does broadcast it's SSID.

My home wifi connection also has WEP security setup but does not broadcast it's SSID.  I set the nook up to connect and it looks like it will but then shows network out of range.  If I go into my wifi router setup and tell it to broadcast the SSID, then the nook will find the connection and connect every time.

Not true, my home network does not broadcast its SSID and once I setup the connection parameters by hand, it works fine...and has for several months now.

You need to know the type of encryption, the SSID and key (if encrypted) but once you have that...you should have no problems.   Presuming you don't have to program your access point to permit that specific device on it (I DO filter by MAC address on my access point...so had to add the nook to its list of permitted addresses before it would connect).

---------
Don
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Anthenia wrote:
How do I find out whether my Network is 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g? 

Well, if you find your WiFi router or access point and tell me the model number, I can let you know what your device can do.  You can access the router/access point's browser interface (probably http://192.168.0.1/) in your webbrowser and look.  Or if you have a home computer accessing from WiFi you can load a utility called InSSIDer (it is free at www.inssider.com) and it will help you "see" your network. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Anthenia wrote:

Well, among those it's almost certainly "g". The question is whether it's "g" or "n". The "g" type has been the standard for many years; the faster "n" type is just now becoming popular.

Most "n" wireless systems provide compatibility with "g" anyway, so that's probably not an issue.

The real twist is the security protocol, which comes in a lot of different forms with a lot of different variations. Some of the most common ones for home use are:

• none
  • WEP with Shared Key (doesn't seem to work well with NOOK), 64- or 128-bits
  • WEP with Open Key, 64- or 128-bits
  • WPA/PSK (aka WPA Personal) with TKIP, sometimes called just "WPA"
  • WPA/PSK (aka WPA Personal) with AES
  • WPA2/PSK (aka WPA2 Personal)

The farther down the list, the more security. Also the newer the wireless equipment needs to be.

Contributor
Anthenia
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Anthenia wrote:

Well, if you find your WiFi router or access point and tell me the model number, I can let you know what your device can do.  You can access the router/access point's browser interface (probably http://192.168.0.1/) in your webbrowser and look.  Or if you have a home computer accessing from WiFi you can load a utility called InSSIDer (it is free at www.inssider.com) and it will help you "see" your network. 

Hi Big_Dave_H.

Yesterday, I brought my Nook to Barn & Noble local store, the CS had have show me how to do the set up. :smileyhappy:

VOILA! Now, I have my Wifi Hotshots connection. I can browse the internet to some of my favorite websites now. :smileyhappy: I am... so happy!

Now, I just have to figure how to borrow Ebooks and Audiobooks from a local library and import them to my Nook:smileyhappy:

If you know how, please kindly show me, I am greatly appreciate. :smileyhappy:

Thank you very much Mr. Big_Dave_H.

Anthenia. :smileyhappy:

New User
Coover
0 Kudos

I will be purchasing the WiFi version of Nook in the next few days and wonder if the newest firmware version, 1.4, has fixed the WPA - PSK problem with Nook?

I am running WPA - PSK in my home and have 5 machines connected to the internet with this protocol. My router is several years old and will not accept WPA2. Of course I am hoping that the firmware has solved the problem.

The purchase, however, is in no danger because of the problem. I have a couple of workarounds that I am sure will work. I own an older wireless (G) router that supports no form of WPA. I can connect it via network cable to my WPA router and run it with no security only during the time when I wish to connect th Nook. Or, perhaps, even better, I could use the freeware "Connectify" to run another network from one of my Win 7 machines (Connectify requires a Win 7 machine to run).

Other folks could use one of the two workarounds I have mentioned above. They should work.

Win 7 users can use Connectify. Other operating systems will need an additional unsecured wireless router.

Reader 2
Darksear
0 Kudos

@Anthenia

If you have a computer you should be able to just hook your nook up to it and copy and paste it into the my_documents folder of the nook.  You do need to be aware of what formats the nook supports I think it supports anything with a .pdf and .epub extension at the end.  There are others, but I would have to look them up.

New User
Stoof
0 Kudos

I've too have wifi problems with the nook I just purchased yesterday. 

The nook worked great in the office when connecting to a Cradlepoint wireless AP however, at home it was a different story.  I have an Engenius 7750 and although the nook will connect to the AP, it is unable to download content and/or browse the web. 

All of my other devices work fine on the 7750...psp, Macbook, Asus laptop...etc.  The only thing that does not work is the nook.

The 7750 has multiple SSID's so I have one that's WEP and another that is WPA-2.  Authentication is no required and there is no proxy.  The nook will connect and that's all it will do.

To get around this and load a recent purchase, I tried sideloading the book and now the nook just hangs on "Opening the Document".

For what I spent on this thing I'm already very much dissapointed.  I think I will be returning it today and getting a Kindle instead.

New User
NJer
0 Kudos

Just got my nook yesterday.  Finally figured out how to get wifi to work with my home network.  My setting for my router is:

WPA

No authentication

128 bit encryption key

Don't worry about no authentication, w/o the correct key, nobody can access your network.

Hope my setting might help someone,

New User
AMA0511
0 Kudos

If anybody is still having an issue connecting the Nook Color to your AT&T U-Verse Wireless Modem/Router, then you've come to the right place! Follow the steps below and everything will work just fine and dandy! :smileyhappy: The wife and I were having difficulties at first, but after an hour of adjusting the settings within the router and then re-connecting, we were able to get up and running.

Step #1:

Open Internet Explorer (on your desktop) and point your browser to: http://192.168.1.254/

This URL is your internal IP address to access your router directly. The graphical user interface (GUI) is fairly simple to navigate, so don't fear if you're a novice computer user.

Step #2:

Click on Settings (the 3rd tab from the left)

Step #3:

Under the System Info tab (it should be selected by default), click on 'Password'

Change the password to something you'll easily remember.

Step #4:

Staying with the Settings tab (the 3rd tab from the left), click on 'LAN'. The "Status" information will be highlighted by default. We don't want to change anything here, so click on "Wireless". Once you do that, it should say something like this at the top of the screen (in red):

Warning Modifying the settings on this page can impact the ability of devices to access your wireless network.

Step #5:

This is the page where your problem will be solved. Scroll down to the "Security" section where you see the diagram of your AT&T U-Verse Router/Modem. You will see:

Wireless Key:

- Use default Wireless Network Key printed on the System Label

or

- Use custom Wireless Network Key

*** Click the Radio Button for "Use custom Wireless Network Key" and type in a simple password that you'll remember, but can't be hacked. Don't use something ridiculous like your wifes name. Try to be a little more complex.

After you do that, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Save" button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

You should be ALL SET and ready to connect to your wireless network/router. Pick up your Nook and type in that last password your just configured into your router. Click on Connect.

If it still doesn't work, then you'll need to do 1 or 2 more steps.

Step #1:

If you stay under Settings > LAN > Wireless ..... scroll down a little further until you see a section entitled "MAC Filtering." Click on the hyperlink entitled "Edit Blocked / Allowed Device List" and UNCHECK the box for Enabling MAC Filtering. Click SAVE.

Step #2:

Reboot your Wireless Router/Modem. Just unplug the darn thing, wait a minute or so, and plug it back in!!

Hopefully this does the trick for those of of you who are experiencing issues with your new Nook Color.

New User
maryjoe
0 Kudos

I was trying to connect with my 'network' in Control Panel, wrong had to use my Passphase with my Linksys, now Nookcolor and i-pod touch are connected.

Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

For the poster above describing AT&T Uverse router compatibility fixes, thanks for that but really the problem seems to be with a combination of the Nook Color running version 1.0.0 and the Uverse router/wifi gateway itself (which is a 2Wire router for those interested).

Upgrading my Nook Color to 1.0.1 seems to help the overall performance of the device considerably when connected to the Uverse/2Wire router.  However, I'm still running across instances where the the Uverse/2Wire simply refuses to supply, or the NC refuses to accept, an IP address.  Its intermittent and not at all fixable via changing various settings on the Uverse router.  You can turn Mac filtering off (which it is by default in the first place), go completely open/no security (not recommended) or sacrifice a chicken over the router and you'll still get intermittent and unpredictable results.  Its simply some form of incompatibility between the NC and this particular router. 

I have both Uverse with the standard 2Wire router and a Verizon MiFi mobile broadband wifi hotspot.  With the MiFi, I get an IP addy and it remains lock solid for hours once the NC connects.  With my Uverse 2Wire router, I get a lock pretty quick (once I've upgraded to 1.0.1....had all sorts of issues with 1.0.0) but its 50/50 whether or not that lock will carry over between NC sleep/awake mode.  And once the NC loses the IP address, your only resort is to reboot your Uverse router, in which case you'll almost always regain an IP address....at least until the NC goes to sleep again.

For now, I'd just tell people to be aware that the two devices don't play well together and all the setting changes in the world isn't going to fix this.  Its not entirely the NC's fault since it clearly works fine with other WiFi routers.  Its not entirely Uverse/2Wire's fault either since every other device in my house (Windows/Mac laptops, iPad, iPhone, Android Phones x2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, etc etc) work just fine with the Uverse/2Wire router.  Its something between the two causing this oil and water combination.  Your mileage may vary....but mine says get used to rebooting your Uverse router to get it to work with the Nook Color.

New User
Dadof4
0 Kudos

Runamuck,

You described my situation as well. On my home network I am using an older D-Link access point device - model DWL-900AP+.  I have only been able to get the nook color to connect when I reboot the access point.  And similar to your description, after the nook goes to sleep it will not reconnect when awaken, unless the access point is rebooted (or recycle power).

I beleive this is a Nook problem as my access point has had no problem connecting to multiple laptops (HP, Asus, Toshiba), multiple Ipod touchs, PS3, PSP, WII game system, and Ninetendo DS.

New User
poeticD1
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook for two days and I am ready to return it.  My son who is savvy has tried to help me with it and WiFi.  He spent two hours with me and Barnes and Noble and Time Warner and we thought we had it  all sorted out, but I am ready to return it.  They gave us an unbelievable password with about 28 letters and the keyboard is so sensitive you would need a fairy to put it in correctly.  My big reason for getting this was the fact that I could change the size of the print since I need large print books.  But it is such a problem that I think I will return it and get my large print books from the library as I did in the past.  What a disappointment!  When will they make things simpler for people who are not computer nerds?

Doug_Pardee

poeticD1 wrote:

When will they make things simpler for people who are not computer nerds?

They do. It's the NOOK 3G. The problem isn't NOOK, it's Wi-Fi. In particular, secure Wi-Fi networks like you have at home. There are so many different ways to secure a Wi-Fi system, and when you secure it you need to have a password. The NOOK Wi-Fi is for people who are prepared to deal with the complexities and the limitations of Wi-Fi in order to save a bit of money.

The reason that Kindle only had 3G for the first two versions, and the reason that the original NOOK came with 3G, is because 3G is dead-simple to use. You don't have to configure a thing. Just be in the US, and there you go.

I recommend that you return your NOOK Wi-Fi and pay the extra $50 to get the NOOK 3G. It'll be so much easier for you to deal with.

New User
jae180
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, I have to kindly disagree with you.  Anyone can setup a wifi connection...it is not that difficult. 

There is a problem with the way that BN has configured the settings in thier wifi layout that is causing hundreds of people to have issues with the NOOK wifi...and they are losing $$$$ in the mean time.

New User
jae180
0 Kudos

Ed57...you are not alone!  We have had the NOOK for almost 2 months now and have yet to be able to connect to our home wifi.  I had to go sit in the parking lot of Starbucks to even register it (and can't use it otherwise).

I have been reading hundreds of posts about this issue...and here I am 2 months later...still no NOOK to use...I am tenacious and patient, but I am about return two NOOKS if they don't find a fix for this wifi issue.

My husband is a IT person and I am very techy as well.  We have done everything that has been suggested on all the boards, but cannot get the wifi to work at all.

My NOOK is connecting to the wifi, no issue, but when I try to do anything it says, "Network Unavailable" everytime.

My NOOK indicates the following:

Speed: 54 Mbps

Signal Strength: Excellent

Security: WPA2

Any more ideas from anyone?

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jae180 wrote:

Anyone can setup a wifi connection...it is not that difficult. 

A look at any of the Wi-Fi threads, including this one, proves otherwise. The person I was responding to was unwilling to type in the WEP access key. I've seen postings from people who didn't even know what Wi-Fi was, and didn't realize that they needed to have a broadband Internet connection and a Wi-Fi router. I've seen postings from people who don't know how to log into their routers. One person spent days trying to find out the WEP key for his ISP-installed network. Some people have fought to get theirs going, only to learn that their router had MAC filtering on (they were using PCs and didn't understand what MAC filtering had to do with anything.) One person spent I don't know how long trying to connect before learning that his router had been limited to just a few DHCP clients.

The vast majority of NOOK and NOOKcolor users have no problems at all with getting their Wi-Fi connected. But some people do, and in some cases the limitations are on the NOOK side, in some cases they're on the router side, and in some cases they're on the wetware side.

Secure Wi-Fi isn't plug-and-play. Anything beyond that will be beyond the capabilities of some people.

Which isn't to say that the NOOK Wi-Fi couldn't be greatly improved. Restoring the ability to use WEP with Shared Key authentication, adding the ability to use 64-hex-character passwords with WPA and WPA2, making NOOK work with 802.11n routers using channel-bonding, and providing some solid and readable diagnostics so that the user understands what the problem is (e.g., "Unable to obtain a network address from the router. Check the router's DHCP server to be sure that it is enabled and has enough available addresses.") would be immensely helpful. It wouldn't hurt if they went whole-hog and provided the ability to work with EAP.

New User
jae180
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee...I do have to agree that sometimes people don't understand the more complicated settings or what they are for, which is the greatness of these discussions  I think the major frustration from what I have been reading for many, it is not those little things.

The NOOK just won't work with some wifi connections for some reason.  It doesn't matter whether you do this, that, or the next...just won't work when everything else in the house is.

I can't say I have read it all, but I have spent hours reading through all these posts and tried everything inside (and outside) the box with no avail.

Yes, I agree, BN needs to look at improving the wifi really fast before everyone goes right back to the Kindle.

I hope I can get the NOOKs that we purchased to work on our home wifi, otherwise they will be returned for something that will...sad to say, but I didn't pay for nothing and I will not "sideload" everything like so many are doing because of the issues.

Reader
SEMPERFIPD
0 Kudos

I have a Liknsys wrt54gs and no one can get me on line. I haven't seen any solutions. All BN support does is refer you to the Linksys folks who in turn send you back to BN. One more shot at this if someone can help me or I'm returning it. It's a NOOKCOLOR.

Thanks

Correspondent
ladymis

Mel57 wrote:

I have read all of the comments here....I bought a Nook WiFi $149.00 for my mother & need to know what router we can get for her home so she can download books without having to go to a "HotSpot". Any recommendations?

She is not mobile & she Loves to read so I thought the Nook would be perfect for her.

Thanks,

Melanie

While a bit on the pricey side, I would highly recommend one of the Apple Airport routers.  They are extremely easy to set-up and maintain (even with Windows, which is what we use).  My husband convinced me a couple of years ago to go to this router, and we have never once had any issues with it.

We have this one, which is the Airport Extreme, but the Express is also a good router, too.  Just depends on what features you want.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC340/AirPort-Extreme?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=OAS-US-KWG-WiFi-US

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 493 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: