Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
slb428
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi issues with Nook

In my attempt to set up nookcolor I have reached the wifi connection for the network.  It has connected by is locked.  I inserted my password and it continues to show locked.  Consequently I am unable to continue.

New User
juliebell68
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook Color (June 2011) and could not connect to Wifi, as many users are complaining about.  We have a Linksys WRT54G (a 802.11G) and the Nook was cycling through Obtaining IP address, Disconnecting, Obtaining IP address, etc.  It could not get an IP address.

So, to get it to work, I changed the Security Mode to Disabled.  I then had the Nook connect to the SSID and it connected in this mode.  I then changed the Security Mode BACK to WPA-PSK (Pre-Shared Key), WPA Algorithm = TKIP and set the password.  It now works with the wirelss security that we have been using for many years.

New User
1olemissrebel
0 Kudos

so I purchased  nook color last week.. and yes I have the ATT Uverse 2 wire router...I had read all the help pages and was all set to do the steps...and then I  decided to enter the assigned "key"  digits in the password box...and the nook cololr connected with no problem....

New User
Jeaneen
0 Kudos

I am glad to see I am not the only one with wifi issues.  I got my nook color yesterday and I was excited, then it would not connect I was really upset.  I took it back to Best Buy the very next day.  I think I am just going to buy a iPad, it does everything and more.

New User
Jeaneen
0 Kudos

What wifi do you have, because it didnt work on mines either?  I just took it back, I really wanted to keep it plus it is cheaper than the iPad

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Jeaneen wrote:

What wifi do you have, because it didnt work on mines either?  I just took it back, I really wanted to keep it plus it is cheaper than the iPad

What kind of wifi do YOU have, Jeaneen?  It will make it a lot easier for us to help you if we know what your setup is.  What kind of router (brand), is it b or g or n or a mix?  Is it 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  Do you use MAC filtering?  What kind of security are you using?

New User
AlejandroCA
0 Kudos

I made works my nook color with my home wifi networks. After I made several test, reset the modem (very important) I can says that the wifi card of the nook is very picky....

My router is and has the following setting:

Motorola SBG900

Security Mode: WPA

WPA Encryption: AES

WPA Authentication: Local (WPA-PSK)

and obviously with PSK Passphase.

I hope this give some help to some else.

Alejandro

Contributor
Starheart23
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just got my nook, and i have been trying to connect it to my home network, and it connects, and says it is connected to the internet but when i go to the store it says I am not. I live my Nook but this is driving me crazy!  ps. I don't have a nook color, i have a regular nook.  :smileysad: Somebody help me! 

*Loves Nooks!* please join my website, www.jointhewarriorcatsrp.webs.com if you love the warrior cats series, by Erin Hunter!
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Starheart23 wrote:

I just got my nook, and i have been trying to connect it to my home network, and it connects, and says it is connected to the internet but when i go to the store it says I am not. I live my Nook but this is driving me crazy!  ps. I don't have a nook color, i have a regular nook.  :smileysad: Somebody help me! 

PM Doug Pardee, he had a thread on router issues and possible solutions.

Contributor
Starheart23
0 Kudos

Can you explain that too me?

*Loves Nooks!* please join my website, www.jointhewarriorcatsrp.webs.com if you love the warrior cats series, by Erin Hunter!
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Starheart23 wrote:

Can you explain that too me?

PM stands for Private Messenger. Up at the top below B&N Community to the right of your user name is help. Click on help click on Private Messenger and the help information will be displayed.

Once you have the information about how to use it, then you can PM Doug_Pardee.

Contributor
Starheart23
0 Kudos

Okay! Do I just say like could you help me with problem and explain it to this person?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Starheart23 wrote:

Okay! Do I just say like could you help me with problem and explain it to this person?

Doug started a thread about router and wifi issues.He can point you to it. 

New User
grace222
0 Kudos

Hi -

just wanted to share what happened when I couldn't connect my nook.  after reading many of the posts I called B&N support.  the girl was very nice but she did run me through a series of very obvious "fixes" that I had already tried.  she then told me that I had to call my internet provider to have them enable my wi-fi mac address.  she said if this didn't work they would have to replace my nook.  i even told her about the WEP vs. WPA issues discussed here and she acted like she was not familiar with what I was talking about.  i called my provider, even though I knew B&N was just shoving the problem off of themselves and onto someone else.  my provider (verizon) was awesome.  they said the mac address thing was not even enabled on my network but he still checked everything to make sure I was set up correctly.  he then suggested that we change from WEP to WPA2 which he said is the newest and most secure.  after we did this he walked me through getting all my devices back onto the internet and he even made sure the nook was connected.  don't know why B&N couldn't have done this since it's their device that doesn't like WEP - they should know this.  anyway, hope this helps someone else.  BOTTOM LINE:  change internet security to WPA2  Good Luck.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The Nook works with WEP.  When using WEP, there are two choices for authentication:  Open Key and Shared Key.  The Nook works best with Open Key.  Because of security issues with WEP, WPA2 is the preferred security system.

Contributor
Starheart23
0 Kudos

Im not sure if thi helps anyone, but eagle perosn., i forgot aobut what you said so i went to a Starbucks there and my books downloaded. a person fomr barnes and noble thinls my connection keeps dropping soo yeah. Now i have read all the hunger games! Your nook will connect to an At-at hotspot btw.

Reader 4
DeborahNYC
0 Kudos

That is great that it tells you that you cannot use WIFI that is redircted or asks for you to ok terms and conditions (this would exclude every McDonalds and Burger King) in NYC. I think also Starbucks requires that as well. However, if you CANNOT access the WIFI then you cannot read the manual that tells you that. I even called Technical Support and they could not give me a clear answer. So I am taking this little Nook into B&N store and register it, however, if it does not hook up correctly o my WIFI at home, it will be going back to B&N.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

DeborahNYC wrote:

That is great that it tells you that you cannot use WIFI that is redircted or asks for you to ok terms and conditions (this would exclude every McDonalds and Burger King) in NYC. I think also Starbucks requires that as well. However, if you CANNOT access the WIFI then you cannot read the manual that tells you that. I even called Technical Support and they could not give me a clear answer. So I am taking this little Nook into B&N store and register it, however, if it does not hook up correctly o my WIFI at home, it will be going back to B&N.

The Nook Touch browser should open automatically in the case of redirected Wifi or an OK page. If it does not, just type in a web page address (for example http://www.google.com) to force an Internet connection, than the browser should open.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

You should not have to accept terms of service at places that use AT&T wifi, like Starbucks.  You nook will automatically connect without you having to do anything, as long as wifi is turned on.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

I was in McD's a couple of days ago.  They use AT&T.  I had to accept their Terms page before my phone could access their wi-fi.

I think you'll see this more and more; it protects them legally and gives them a chance to shove an advertisement at you.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 337 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: