Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi issues with Nook

[ Edited ]

Byteguy wrote:

I was in McD's a couple of days ago.  They use AT&T.  I had to accept their Terms page before my phone could access their wi-fi.

I think you'll see this more and more; it protects them legally and gives them a chance to shove an advertisement at you.

I was speaking about the nook, not cell phones.  B&N has relationship with AT&T, and nooks will automatically connect to the AT&T wifi w/o asking you to accept terms.

Reader 4
DeborahNYC
0 Kudos

More surprises ....so I go into B&N store to register the new Nook. Stop at Burger King and NOW it allows the internet to be redirected and accept terms and conditions. Maybe you can't register it on a redirect.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Did everyone get the new 1.0.1. update for the Nook 2E?  Finally got it this morning.  I can now finally sign on to the wi-fi service at work (required a password, etc.):smileyvery-happy:  Hopefully I can now sign on at my local library also.

New User
bookmh
0 Kudos

New User
Emerycity
0 Kudos

Ugh...I knew I wasn't the only one. What an annoying product and a waste of my time and money this has been. I purchased my Nook (the new touch) a few weeks ago and so far I have been unable to use it. I have tried connecting at home, at work, at hotels, at internet cafe's, at Google's headquarters (a friend works there), Starbucks, McDonalds, at an AT&T store ...you name the place and I have tried - it NEVER connects to Wifi.

Get this - I even went in to BN store and it wouldnt connect there!! I tried another store that was completely out of my way and lo and behold it worked there. The customer service has been anything but helpful - they actually told me that I need to keep trying different hotspots (I guess the numerous ones I listed above weren't good enough?). Of course they refuse to let me return this piece of crap device and now I'm stuck with it - can someone plese help me with this? Like I said, the customer service at BN has been a joke.

Funny, I was given a Kindle a few days ago as a birthday present and I haven't had any issues with it. Save yourselves your time and money - buy a Kindle or an iPad.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Emerycity wrote:

Ugh...I knew I wasn't the only one. What an annoying product and a waste of my time and money this has been. I purchased my Nook (the new touch) a few weeks ago and so far I have been unable to use it. I have tried connecting at home, at work, at hotels, at internet cafe's, at Google's headquarters (a friend works there), Starbucks, McDonalds, at an AT&T store ...you name the place and I have tried - it NEVER connects to Wifi.

Get this - I even went in to BN store and it wouldnt connect there!! I tried another store that was completely out of my way and lo and behold it worked there. The customer service has been anything but helpful - they actually told me that I need to keep trying different hotspots (I guess the numerous ones I listed above weren't good enough?). Of course they refuse to let me return this piece of crap device and now I'm stuck with it - can someone plese help me with this? Like I said, the customer service at BN has been a joke.

Funny, I was given a Kindle a few days ago as a birthday present and I haven't had any issues with it. Save yourselves your time and money - buy a Kindle or an iPad.

Strange story,

If the Nook did not connect at the B&N store, than something is probably wrong with the device. Why did you not show the Nook to the store Nook expert, and let the store arrange an exchange for you?

New User
Emerycity
0 Kudos

I asked about an exchange and I was told that I'm past the return date. I bought my Nook on August 17th. Everytime I called customer service and asked about it at a BN location, I was given the run around and told to keep trying different hotspots. And like an idiot I did so now I am past the retun date. Why should I keep trying different locations for WIFI for a device that is ENTIRELY dependant on WIFI connection?! That would be like me selling you a watch and saying it doesn't tell time...what's the point?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Emerycity wrote:

I asked about an exchange and I was told that I'm past the return date. I bought my Nook on August 17th. Everytime I called customer service and asked about it at a BN location, I was given the run around and told to keep trying different hotspots. And like an idiot I did so now I am past the retun date. Why should I keep trying different locations for WIFI for a device that is ENTIRELY dependant on WIFI connection?! That would be like me selling you a watch and saying it doesn't tell time...what's the point?

You cannot return the Nook, but the warranty is for a year. If your Wifi does not work at a B&N store there is probably something wrong, and B&N should replace it under warrany.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Emerycity wrote:

Why should I keep trying different locations for WIFI for a device that is ENTIRELY dependant on WIFI connection?! That would be like me selling you a watch and saying it doesn't tell time...what's the point?

Different WiFi hostspots are configured, well, differently.  What you should be looking for at this point is a hotspot that is using an "Open" B or G setup.  This means that no authentication is required to use the hotspot and that it is using an "old" communications method.  There are some "personality" issues with some N protocol devices that you want to avoid at this time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I have found that if a router has speed boost technology built into it the nook won't connect to it, which means that some wifi hotspots will not work (depending on what the place is using).  That said, there is NO REASON that a properly working nook would not connect in-store.  Contact CS for warranty support if you can't connect in-store as they need to replace your nook.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Okay. So I have a classic Nook.

I bought it...eh...six months ago? The internet in my house had been working FINE. Then I put it on Airplane Mode for about two days. When I turn it off, and return to my home, it can't find the connection. I even tried it under my hotspot. So I made the mistake of deleting it as a Hotspot, and tried to type it in. Well everytime I do, it says: DISCONNECTED. I've been getting really frustrated. Is it because I had it an airplane mode too long? Or is it because of the scratch it had just gotten? Because the wi-fi on all the computers in the house work fine. I'm so confused and I really wanted to buy this new book. So PLEASE if anyone can help, let me know.

-Baillie <3

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

beautybabydoll wrote:

Okay. So I have a classic Nook.

I bought it...eh...six months ago? The internet in my house had been working FINE. Then I put it on Airplane Mode for about two days. When I turn it off, and return to my home, it can't find the connection. I even tried it under my hotspot. So I made the mistake of deleting it as a Hotspot, and tried to type it in. Well everytime I do, it says: DISCONNECTED. I've been getting really frustrated. Is it because I had it an airplane mode too long? Or is it because of the scratch it had just gotten? Because the wi-fi on all the computers in the house work fine. I'm so confused and I really wanted to buy this new book. So PLEASE if anyone can help, let me know.

-Baillie <3

I leave mine in airplane mode all the time, so that's probably not it.  I've had other devices mysteriously disconnect and then not want to connect again.

Here's what I'd suggest.  If you don't have your router broadcasting the SSID, then temporarily change the settings to broadcast.

Let the Nook search for and find your Network.

Once it does, select it, and when requested, type in security passphrase and it should connect.

If it doesn't try you can try this.

Completely power down the Nook and try again.

Try rebooting your router, I had to do that the other day to get anything to connect, computer, Nook, etc.

Try taking it somewhere else with WiFi, like McDonald's or Starbucks.  If it connects there, that would rule out a problem with the Nook's WiFi itself.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Alright...problem.

I tried to take it to another hotspot, still didn't show any hotspots that worked. I tried rebooting my wifi router, tried powering down adn then turning back on my Nook, what's going on? Is their anything else I CAN do? I really need the wifi on my Nook...thanks.

-Baillie <3

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

beautybabydoll wrote:

Alright...problem.

I tried to take it to another hotspot, still didn't show any hotspots that worked. I tried rebooting my wifi router, tried powering down adn then turning back on my Nook, what's going on? Is their anything else I CAN do? I really need the wifi on my Nook...thanks.

-Baillie <3

If wifi is not working anywhere than the wifi radiois not working and you will need to get a replacement.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Before I go spend 150$ to go get another one, does it not help to mention that it had been working before? It just stopped all of a sudden. Does that mean I damaged it or was it just bad luck? I REALLY doubt my moms going to help buy me a new one, which means I'd have to wait a whole year till I get enough. Somebody have ANY other suggestions? I'm BEGGING you.

-Baillie <3

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

beautybabydoll wrote:

Alright...problem.

-Baillie <3

"didn't show any hotspots that worked."  Does that mean it did show hotspots but could not connect to them?  Or does that mean it did not show any hotspots?

If the latter, make sure Airplane mode is OFF.  

If the former, are the hotspots showing locked?  If so, try finding an open hotspot and see what happens.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

I mean none of them were 'in range' and could not connect. Even though they ARE in range...

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If the Nook is saying that they are not "in range" then they are not in range and it will not connect.  Go to a McD or some where there is a strong signal.  WiFi is sensitive to these things. 

If you have a jacket on the Nook, try it without the jacket.  Again, WiFi can be sensitive.

Contributor
beautybabydoll
0 Kudos

Kay, I get that, but why did it stop working on all my other Hotspots NOW and not six months ago? We haven't changed it at all...so I'm really confused. Also I stopped by a hotel to test it out there and the wifi did not show up either.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

What has changed about the Nook in the last 5 months?  Have you added a different case or jacket?  Have you added a skin?  Have you dropped it?  Without having it in hand it is difficult to say what has changed; Only you know what physical characteristics have changed.

Other things:  Has your home WiFi device been changed?  Have any settings on it been changed?  Have any settings on the Nook been changed?

Network issues can be a bear to track down...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 567 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: