Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mr-markster
0 Kudos

Will The Nook Stand the Test of Time? Odds say... No

[ Edited ]

I've been researching which ereader to purchase. At nearly $300, I can't afford to rush right out and buy just anything. I really like the Nook. Aesthetically, it's a beautiful piece of equipment and I really enjoy some of the features that it offers. I also love to shop at B&N, which is the main reason I want to support their Nook.

However, I'm not very confident that the Nook is destined to stand the test of time against the likes of other ereaders. Not because of the hardware itself, but because B&N seems to be doing everything in its power to kill its e-reader before it ever gets the chance to flourish.

Let's look beyond the Christmas 2009 debacle: B&N isn't the first company to fall short of supply to meet the high demands of its product. It happens.

Now that the initial demand has calmed down, lets look at more recent trends. When I walk into my B&N store, the only Nook to be found is located on a lonely corner of the help desk, where only the most observant will likely see it. No signs, no banners, no displays. B&N does not even offer Nook accessories in their stores. Now, look briefly at the competition: if you log onto Amazon.com, the "Kindle" is splashed across their home page. Meanwhile, the Ipad is getting ready to be launched on an eager public. Best Buy does better displays of the Sony Ereader than B&N does of their own product.

And here's the worst part... ask a customer service rep ANYTHING about e-readers. At the local B&N by my house, they know nothing! They cannot answer the simplest questions about the Nook itself or the simplest issues surrounding ereaders, such as DRM or transporting my ebooks back and forth between devices. They did not even know the general prices of their new releases on ebook format. When I asked to purchase a Nook, the rep had to ask the manager where they were. Apparently,  they were locked up in the back and she would get one after she was through assisting other customers. Pretty poor, B&N. Pretty poor. I waited 15 minutes and then walked out.

So I ask B&N (sincerely, without trying to be a smart- allick), why should I spend $300 on a device that is marketed so poorly, at a store where the CSR's are obviously not trained on your "product of the future?" I thought the Nook's major advantage was supposed to be the retail chains customers can walk into. So far, B&N, you have really dropped the ball on capatilizing on what should be your greatest strengths. Consumers should be unable to avoid the Nook when they enter your stores. Instead, you have one lonely unit mounted by the information desk. Not one accessory. Not one knowledgeable staff member.

The "Kindle" has practically become a household trademark name. If I "Google" or "Bing" Barnes and Noble, I get more information about the e-reader application you have coming out for the Ipad than your Nook. Go ahead and try it yourself. You will see what I mean.

So if someone asks me, "do you think the Nook will be a long-time contender in the battle of E-readers- will it stand the test of time?" I'd sadly have to say that the odds are... no. Does anyone else feel the same? If not, then please sell me. Your stores and your CSR's sure can't.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Re: Will The Nook Stand the Test of Time? Odds say... No

[ Edited ]

Whavever you buy does not matter.  One week after you buy it, something much cooler will come out.

The shelf life of small electonic devices is always very short.  It's the rare person who is still using the same mp3 player that they purchased 2 or 3 years ago. I expect it to be the same for e-readers. (isn't the Kindle on it's 4th or 5th version in just 2 or 3 years?)

What you are really asking is, "if I buy a nook today will I be able to read books tomorrow".

Sorry, can't answer that for you - but the nook is not dependent on B&N.  Any book published in the epub format can be loaded into the nook.  So the entire B&N corporation could go under and you would still have books you can read (and check out from libraries)

P.S.

You do realize that this is the Internet ?  No one reads past the 3rd paragraph.  I'll bet that only 50% of the people glancing at the thread will even read this P.S. (that reduces to 20% if I had added it as another paragraph instead of a P.S.)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,996
0 Kudos

You should complain about your store experience to the store manager. If that doesn't work, give Barnes & Noble some grief about it. There's no excuse for a store to be like that.

At my B&N, the nook display is a kiosk desk located front and center when you walk in, manned by one or two employees (depending on the time of day) who will demonstrate the nook and answer questions. They took 45 minutes helping my wife (and me) out when she bought her nook, and would've taken whatever time I needed when I bought my own. If you want to buy a nook, they'll take you to the checkouts, jump you to the front of the line, get the nook from behind the counter, and make sure that the cashier knows how to ring it up correctly.

At the next-closest B&N, they have cardboard nook displays all over the store. You certainly can't miss them. I haven't had any need to check out the service at that store; it just happened to be nearby when I found myself with some time to kill and I wanted to pick up the "more in store" stuff.

Both stores have a plethora of signs in the windows advertising 'The nook is here!'.

The shortage of in-stock accessories is a problem, but like the shortage of nooks it's temporary. It's not a deal-killer for anyone serious about buying a nook.

In any event, there are no displays of Kindle at my local Amazon store, and no Kindles to touch, and nobody there to answer any questions. There are no Kindles available off the shelf at the Amazon store, and no accessories in the Amazon store, either. That's because there is no Amazon store. The nook is well-featured at the B&N web site; I'd say no less-so than Kindle is at Amazon.

It's still just a promise, not an actuality, but B&N says that with a nook you'll be able to read any B&N e-book, in its entirety, for free while you're in a B&N store. Amazon doesn't have any plans for anything similar.

Is B&N trailing Amazon? Sure, by quite a ways. And they may never catch all the way up. They've still got a lot of room for improvement. But then, Amazon has been doing this for a few years and B&N's new at it.

I'm an Amazon Prime customer, and I chose to go with the nook primarily because Kindle doesn't give me a choice of vendors for DRMed e-books. With a Kindle it's Amazon or nobody. (Basically all e-readers can deal with all non-DRMed e-books.) The nook lets me buy DRMed e-books from basically everyone except Amazon and the about-to-open iBookstore, and those two exceptions aren't B&N's fault.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Will anything stand the test of time? Especially an electronic device? In the end it doesn't matter much as we can only live one life time and in the life time how often have we upgraded electronics?

It's really a non-issue. Pick the Kindle if you like it more. Pick the iPad if that is what you want. 

I don't know why a need was felt to make this post. It reads like troll bait. I'm sorry, that is just how it comes off to me. When I picked a nook I didn't rush out to the Kindle and iPad forums to gloat or spout off. I don't get it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

mr-markster wrote:

I've been researching which ereader to purchase. At nearly $300, I can't afford to rush right out and buy just anything. I really like the Nook. Aesthetically, it's a beautiful piece of equipment and I really enjoy some of the features that it offers. I also love to shop at B&N, which is the main reason I want to support their Nook.

However, I'm not very confident that the Nook is destined to stand the test of time against the likes of other ereaders. Not because of the hardware itself, but because B&N seems to be doing everything in its power to kill its e-reader before it ever gets the chance to flourish.

Let's look beyond the Christmas 2009 debacle: B&N isn't the first company to fall short of supply to meet the high demands of its product. It happens.

Now that the initial demand has calmed down, lets look at more recent trends. When I walk into my B&N store, the only Nook to be found is located on a lonely corner of the help desk, where only the most observant will likely see it. No signs, no banners, no displays. B&N does not even offer Nook accessories in their stores. Now, look briefly at the competition: if you log onto Amazon.com, the "Kindle" is splashed across their home page. Meanwhile, the Ipad is getting ready to be launched on an eager public. Best Buy does better displays of the Sony Ereader than B&N does of their own product.

And here's the worst part... ask a customer service rep ANYTHING about e-readers. At the local B&N by my house, they know nothing! They cannot answer the simplest questions about the Nook itself or the simplest issues surrounding ereaders, such as DRM or transporting my ebooks back and forth between devices. They did not even know the general prices of their new releases on ebook format. When I asked to purchase a Nook, the rep had to ask the manager where they were. Apparently,  they were locked up in the back and she would get one after she was through assisting other customers. Pretty poor, B&N. Pretty poor. I waited 15 minutes and then walked out.

So I ask B&N (sincerely, without trying to be a smart- allick), why should I spend $300 on a device that is marketed so poorly, at a store where the CSR's are obviously not trained on your "product of the future?" I thought the Nook's major advantage was supposed to be the retail chains customers can walk into. So far, B&N, you have really dropped the ball on capatilizing on what should be your greatest strengths. Consumers should be unable to avoid the Nook when they enter your stores. Instead, you have one lonely unit mounted by the information desk. Not one accessory. Not one knowledgeable staff member.

The "Kindle" has practically become a household trademark name. If I "Google" or "Bing" Barnes and Noble, I get more information about the e-reader application you have coming out for the Ipad than your Nook. Go ahead and try it yourself. You will see what I mean.

So if someone asks me, "do you think the Nook will be a long-time contender in the battle of E-readers- will it stand the test of time?" I'd sadly have to say that the odds are... no. Does anyone else feel the same? If not, then please sell me. Your stores and your CSR's sure can't.

Sorry - I don't feel the same.  The Kindle's been around awhile, the Nook is the new kid on the block.

One of the B&N stores I frequent has the Nook at the CS counter and does not yet stock accessories; the other has a prominent Nook & accessories counter, with a CSR who is very familiar with the workings of the unit.  I walked in for a book, walked out with a Nook.

Plain and simple, you should spend your money on whatever ereader has the features you are looking for, or you could continue to buy/borrow hard cover or paperback books.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Using the OP's logic, we should never by a new computer for fear it will be out of date in a year. Or a new car because new models will be coming out next year. If the nook or Kindle suit you, good. Use them and enjoy them. Even if a newer nook model comes out, the one I am using today will still function and still provide me with hours of reading enjoyment.

As for the in-store experience, it is the same at our local store. I could find no nooks at all at our store. They had a sign over the checkout counter but no nooks. Now, it has been a month since I was in there and they might have updated things since then.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Sorry - I don't feel the same.  The Kindle's been around awhile, the Nook is the new kid on the block.

One of the B&N stores I frequent has the Nook at the CS counter and does not yet stock accessories; the other has a prominent Nook & accessories counter, with a CSR who is very familiar with the workings of the unit.  I walked in for a book, walked out with a Nook.

Plain and simple, you should spend your money on whatever ereader has the features you are looking for, or you could continue to buy/borrow hard cover or paperback books.

This is how its been at the last three stores i visited!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nook is the better reader, that said Amazon has the content & yes going forward with the publishers new pricing structure in place 4/1 things will start to get sticky for nook...today for example 3 major releases (for me) came out all 3 were carried by Amazon, only one on the nook (big 2 was  Jonathon Kellerman, Lisa Jackson & PAtricia Briggs). ALso noticed that a few other titles the were available are now pulled, so I ask B&N what's up...I really trully don't have an issue with price increases to a point in fact bought the 14.99 Kellerman but I can't buy what's not offered, so I wonder if indeed amazon wins because they are the 800 lb gorrilla in the room. FWIW neither Kobo or Sony carried those titles so while a nice reader it still comes down to what is there to read... 

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest

[ Edited ]

mr-markster wrote:

As a public service, I edited your post to capture your main ideas with fewer words.  Here is a free rewrite:

There were some problems with the roll out and I had a bad experience in a B&N store, therefore I conclude that the nook is doomed.

:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

eDigest wrote:

mr-markster wrote:

As a public service, I edited your post to capture your main ideas with fewer words.  Here is a free rewrite:

There were some problems with the roll out and I had a bad experience in a B&N store, therefore I conclude that the nook is doomed.

:smileyvery-happy:

:smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

The marketing in stores is definitely uneven.  More importantly, the online store could and should leverage Nook a lot more.

Example:  for every print book you search there, Amazon also shows you a prominent box, with either a link that takes you directly to the e-book, or a link that automatically generates a request to the publisher to release the e-book.  That is slick, and has got to be generating a lot of e-Book sales. 

B&N has gotten better during the last few weeks about showing when e-Books are available under "Other Formats", but it seems like the emphasis is still on pushing the paper, and selling the bits is an afterthought.  And the distinction in "Digital" versions between e-Books and MP3s (!) of books is hardly clear.

Nook should be a winner.  With its superior features, it has sold itself to most of us here.  Imagine how much bigger it can become when/if B&N puts it front and center, as Amazon has done with Kindle.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 458 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: