Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

Will a cracked bezel make my Nook unusable?

My Nook has finally developed the crack in the bezel that so many of the early Nooks have gotten. I'm trying to decide whether to get it replaced. I know it's covered under the warranty, but I'm worried about getting a replacement; I know a lot of people have had problems with their Nooks, and mine has behaved so well in the months I've owned it that I don't really want to take my chances with another one. And since my warranty will run out soon (my Nook was a pre-order, and it was a gift so I don't have the extended warranty), if the replacement does have problems I might not find out until it's too late to get it replaced again.

I'm not worried about how the crack looks; I have a skin on my Nook, so I can barely see the crack (I'm not even sure how long it's been there; I just happened to notice a few days ago that the outer edge of the button didn't look quite right). But I'm worried that the crack will eventually keep my Nook from working properly. Has anyone had problems using their Nook because of a cracked bezel?

Also, because I'm trying to figure out much time I have before the warranty runs out, does the one-year warranty run from date of purchase or ship date? My Nook was pre-ordered in... late November, I think... and I got it in January, so that's quite a bit of difference.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Will a cracked bezel make my Nook unusable?

People have said the cracked bezel is only cosmetic and has no effect on functionality.

As for being close to the end of your original manufacturers warranty. Your replacement NOOK will be covered until the end of the original warranty period or 90 days, whichever is longer.

Example - you received your original nook December 19th - the warranty will expire on December 19th, 2010 - 61 days from now. If you received a replacement NOOK today it would be covered until January 19th, 2011 90 days from now (my math might be off).

Contributor
gmanpma
0 Kudos

My experience with the cracked bezel supports your opinion that it is a cosmetic issue.  Mine cracked months ago, but other than that it has been flawless, and I don't want to chance getting a problematic refurb.  I'm sticking with mine.  Thanks for the info.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

But nobody has ever reported getting a problematic refurb that I can recall.  

They arrive looking and working exactly as new.

Reader 4
geekgram
0 Kudos

I had my Nook replaced because of a cracked bezel and the refurbished one was freezing up all the time and would not get on to my WI FI.  The Tech guy got the freezing to stop but I still can't get on to my own WI FI  My  first Nook was perfect and never had a problem with  my WI FI.  They are suppose to get back to me but so far haven't heard from them....

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

There's nothing like posting that "Nobody has reported..." to smoke out exactly such a report.

I should of known!!!

Don't wait for them to get back to you, you get back to them.

I suspect they are going to want to wait till the new software is out to see if that fixes it.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@geekgram,

Can you send me your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you (via Private Message)?

In the meantime,  try this...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

New User
daveysmamaw
0 Kudos

my daughter and I both had cracked bezels and we took ours back to be replaced. My thinking is that as much as they cost I am not going to have a defect. We got a brand new one at the store and then purchased the extended plan for the future. The transfer from old to new went flawlessly and haven't had one problem with the new one. We bought ours before the prices went down. Was worth it. Had one problem with the old one freezing but hasn't ever done it since

Frequent Contributor
deb53WA
0 Kudos

Why would you want to keep a Nook with a cracked bezel?  I'm currently on my THIRD Nook due to this issue.  Yes, customer service is great, but come on, stop sending replacement (refurbished) Nooks and fix this issue!!!  If I didn't have so much money invested in the Nook, covers and books, I'd switch to another product.  Enough is enough!!!

Reader
donamor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just had mine replaced today after getting the cracked bezel- I can't believe why they don't fix this either.  We bought two and my girlfriend has extended warranty but mine was gift and didn't have one- I didn't buy the extended warranty on this replacement- I thought I got another year extension on the new one- that makes sense- but someone here said that you don't get that... I've only recently started using my nook more but I just tried a Kindle and some of the tasks like dictionary are way easier - I hope I don't end up having problems with B&N because I'm looking to be a more active reader and that button can't be breaking. :smileysad: on another note- the email to support abotu this went unanswered and my girlfriend and I were on hold 1 and 1/2 hours combined with no answer- after store hopping and getting a replacement with some hesitation I couldn't add a gift card to the system for over 1 hour today- system was down- so i had to buy my new book wih cc- not good.:smileysad:

Reader
Packernut13
0 Kudos

I had the exact same problem in may of 2010. I had received my nook in January of 2010 and I got a replacement and didn't have any problems, that was until this evening when I saw that the 2nd nook had developed a crack along the right hand page forward button, which I never use because I am left handed. I called customer service and they are sending me a new one but they could not tell whether it would be refurbished or new. What they did tell is that if it happens again it will not be covered under my warranty because the warranty is for my original nook not the new one. I think this is ridiculous the manufacturers warranty should cover the nook that I now own not the defective one I sent back in May of 2010. I'm hoping that this doesn't happen again because if it does I will have no way of fixing it because my warranty for the first faulty nook will have expired. I was lucky I called when I did because my warranty expires in 5 days. For a device that I have stuck countless dollars into I would hope for a little better quality in workmanship and maybe a little responsibility on B&N part for the defect in the device. Other than this I love my nook but for a device that cost so much I don't want it to be defective. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@Packernut13, your new refurb should have a 90 day warranty, extending your original warranty by 85 days.

Contributor
gmanpma
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook for over a year now, cracked bezel and all.  I have not had a single issue with the functionality, it has been flawless.  I had considered switching it out, but after seeing some of the problems associated with taking that route, I decided to just keep it.  To me, it's not that big a deal, and I am a 2 to 3 book a week reader.  Be well and happy reading.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Re: "But nobody has ever reported getting a problematic refurb that I can recall.  

They arrive looking and working exactly as new."

I received a replacement with a scuffed e-ink display. It had to go back. Others have also received replacements with flaws and mentioned it here, but if you do they just immediately send yet another one.

[edited to add the comment below]

I hope at some point B&N redesigns the basic Nook to have an actual button of some kind, at whatever point I buy a replacement. I prefer the Kindle buttons to these crackly flexible plastic ones on the Nook.

Reader 2
cpkx
0 Kudos

It appears that this is a known product defect with the only solution being to replace the entire unit if you are under warranty.  It is unfortunate that you can't just get a new bezel for a couple of bucks and replace it without any hassel of reconfiguring and setting up a new unit.  My nook is out of warranty and the only B&N solution is to sell me a completely new unit (not likely to happen).  I'll keep looking for an aftermarket bezel that may not advertise Barnes & Noble.  Other than the cracks on both page forward buttons it seems to be working fine.  I guess I don't read backwards enough to make all the buttons match.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

cpkx wrote:

It appears that this is a known product defect with the only solution being to replace the entire unit if you are under warranty.  It is unfortunate that you can't just get a new bezel for a couple of bucks and replace it without any hassel of reconfiguring and setting up a new unit.  My nook is out of warranty and the only B&N solution is to sell me a completely new unit (not likely to happen).  I'll keep looking for an aftermarket bezel that may not advertise Barnes & Noble.  Other than the cracks on both page forward buttons it seems to be working fine.  I guess I don't read backwards enough to make all the buttons match.

I don't know if you read the other posts on this, but someonr said that the screen is attached to the bezel, which would make it much more difficult to swap out sd opposed to simply replacing the bezel. The cracked bezel doesn't make in unusable, it's mainly cosmetic and while most of us would rather not have the cracks, as long as it works.  You can put a skin on it so it doesn't show.

I also read complaints over on the Kindle boards of cracked plastic, so perhaps it's the plastic being used, but it's apparently not limited to the Nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 283 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: