Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

Window 7 does not recognize memory card

I recently upgraded my computer to windows 7 its 64 bit. when I plug my nook in it recognizes it but not the memory card i have in it it says usb devise not recognized. Any thoughts how to fix this or if anyone else has had the problem. WIndows vista 64 recognized both of them no problem but since ive upgraded it won't recognize the memory card.

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

Re: Window 7 does not recognize memory card

use 32 bit...

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Anastacia01

I have W7-64, and it has no trouble recognizing my memory card.

I'd take these steps, ordered from easiest to hardest.

First, try connecting your Nook to a different USB port -- the problem could be as simple as that.

Next, when you get the "USB device not recognized" message, your system should give you an option to troubleshoot the problem.  I'd try that first.

If that doesn't work, I'd pop the back off the Nook and make sure that the card is securely seated, then try again.

If THAT doesn't work I'd call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Option 2, Digital Support, and ask them about it.  I realize that this isn't exactly a Nook problem, but W7-64 is common enough now that they may have heard about it before.

Finally, if none of the above works, I'd try reformatting the card.  And if even that doesn't work, I'd replace the card.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Anastacia01 wrote:

I recently upgraded my computer to windows 7 its 64 bit. when I plug my nook in it recognizes it but not the memory card i have in it it says usb devise not recognized. Any thoughts how to fix this or if anyone else has had the problem. Windows vista 64 recognized both of them no problem but since ive upgraded it won't recognize the memory card.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and haven't run into that problem, so I would follow ABThree's advice, but it definitely isn't an issue with the 64 bit version of Windows in general but maybe something specific with your computer, the USB ports or the card itself.  

I found this with a quick google search:

"This problem occurs when you use certain SD cards that do not behave according to the SD card specification. According to Microsoft, the issue is not with Windows 7. Microsoft has modified the driver for SD Card (sdbus.sys) in Windows 7 and made it more strict for security reasons. SD Card should comply to Standard Specifications to work properly in Windows 7. Which means you may have trouble if you get a duplicate manufactured cards. The problem should not happen if you get SD cards manufactured by recognized manufacturers."

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

okay thanks i took the card out and using an micro to sd adapter i ut it in my memory card slot on the computer and it picked it up then i put it back in my nook and it read it fine so maybe it was just loose or something . thanks

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 1,007 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: