Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Windows won't recognize my Nook?

[ Edited ]

1914ww wrote:

To use a USB cable to sideload books onto the Nook, I have to make sure the Nook is off when I connect it to the computer.  Then the computer recognizes the Nook just fine.

That makes no sense what so ever.

A nook that is OFF, when connected to a computer, immediatly turns ON and boots up.

Doing this under windows 7 usually results in a couple of Windows errors, because the device is detected prior to the Nook being fully booted. However, it then recovers as the nook is fully booted.  

The manual specifically states on page 155 to turn the nook ON before you connect to the computer. 

Reader 2
Goostersmom
0 Kudos

My Windows laptops (two of them do the same thing,) see the Nookcolor and the Nook goes into USB mode but when I try to view the files, I get an error asking if I want to format the Nook!! I always click no because I'm afraid it'll wipe it out.

I have restarted the laptops and tried different USB ports. I'm at a loss.

Reader 2
Goostersmom
0 Kudos

Well it's terminal. I charged it overnight but the charger color never went green, stayed orange the whole time. I brought it down to the store and they tried everything I did, hard reboot a couple times but to no avail. They gave me new one. Sorry this won't help anyone else.

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

Well that one fate time was the last time the nook was recognized. I have tried powering it down but then i get a windows error and it doesn´t boot.

Also I still see the nook flash onto the screen for a mili-second and then disappear. I have tried it on other computers and it works sometimes but most often not.

tips, suggestions, hints, secrets, gossip? 

oh nook...

Pat

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I would try a different usb cable.

PatFerg wrote:

Well that one fate time was the last time the nook was recognized. I have tried powering it down but then i get a windows error and it doesn´t boot.

Also I still see the nook flash onto the screen for a mili-second and then disappear. I have tried it on other computers and it works sometimes but most often not.

tips, suggestions, hints, secrets, gossip? 

oh nook...

Pat

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

I would try a different usb cable.

Yeah I will. It´s just that I dont live in the US and it is ridiculously expensive to get it here. But yes...

Also, if anyone has more ideas, the device shows up as a portable drive F: or G: but it is not accesable. When I search under hardwear it registers it fine, as a nookbook. 

And also, since yesterday, the nook does not go into USB anymore and the "U" on the cable closest to the computer does not light up anymore.

Thanks again,

Pat

New User
michi-o-mochi
0 Kudos

I was experiencing the same problems that others had experienced, and tried everything recommended, but to no avail. Finally, I decided to take my chance and unlock my Nook--I had it password protected--while it was plugged into the computer, which produced a successful result. After many hours, reboots, etc., it proved to be the only thing that worked.

(I have Windows XP professional.)

Distinguished Correspondent
Beth_DeEtt
0 Kudos

michi-o-mochi wrote:

I was experiencing the same problems that others had experienced, and tried everything recommended, but to no avail. Finally, I decided to take my chance and unlock my Nook--I had it password protected--while it was plugged into the computer, which produced a successful result. After many hours, reboots, etc., it proved to be the only thing that worked.

(I have Windows XP professional.)

After also experiencing the problem of Windows 7 (pro) not recognizing my NOOK, I realized that the NOOK was always asking for my pass code when I plugged it in to the computer.  By the time I got the pass code entered, Windows would have decided that there was no device there and given up.  Now, before I connect my NOOK to the computer, I go into the NOOK settings and disable the pass code.

I can't say that this has corrected the problem 100% - I still sometimes have to play USB roulette or reboot Windows - but it did increase my odds of getting the connection recognized.

New User
grammy6
0 Kudos

dowI am trying to download a book from my computer but the nook icon on "my computer" disappeared and I do not know how to download.

New User
anyaali35
0 Kudos

Re: My computer doesn't recognize my Nook

my nook did the same thing when i plugged it in turns out i had to disable the passcode lock on my nook itself before even plugging it into the computer.....now it works fine

New User
Toman8
0 Kudos

My Nook won't Recognize mine either. I plug it in and nothing happens. then the usb mode comes on and a little icon appears that says USB device is not recognizedable. I am getting irritated. I restarted my nook and also tried trouble shooting. It is fine when charging, but could it just be a bad connection?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toman8 wrote:

My Nook won't Recognize mine either. I plug it in and nothing happens. then the usb mode comes on and a little icon appears that says USB device is not recognizedable. 

When this happened to me, we determined that the micro-USB port on my N1E was bad.

It took a few calls to customer service, and we first eliminated a battery problem, (B&N sent me a new battery) then a charger problem (they sent me a new charger and cord) and finally we determined it was the NOOK micro USB port. (For the record, I never waited on hold more than ten? minutes and everyone I spoke to was pleasant, professional and helpful.  If you read these boards, calling customer service can sound like it's going to be a painful ordeal.  It doesn't have to be.)   

Gave my credit card number for rapid replacement, they sent me a CPO, I sent mine back and all has been well.

I can't say that's what is wrong with yours, but I think you need to call Customer Service.

New User
ocgirl123
0 Kudos

I had the same problem today! I have had my Nook Simple Touch for several months now, and for some reason when I plugged it into one of my laptops today (Windows 7), my laptop wouldn't recognize it!  But when I plugged it into another desktop, it worked.

I tried everything I could find people write aboute online

1.  Changed to a different cable (I actually have two Nooks, so I used the other cable)

2.  Rebooted the computer and the Nook (hard reboot, the ones that people say hold down for 20 second until a white screen shows up)

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled all the Nook drivers from "Devices and Printers"

4. Unplugged all other USB devices except for the Nook

5. Upgraded Nooks OS

anyway, none of the above worked...until I tried the last resort... "restore to factory setting". 

see http://nookdevs.com/Tips_and_tricks

it works now!  I don't know what the problem was, but, here's something for all you out there to try.

New User
query
0 Kudos

My computer had no problems recognizing  my nook a month ago, but yesterday when I attempted to download a loan from the library the computer did not recognize my nook--today I found a new cord that my phone  uses that happened to fit my nook--plugged it in to the nook, the nook into the computer and suddenly my nook appeared once again.  If you have purchased a phone recently, one that recharges with a cord that goes into the phone and a plug on the wall you might be able to make the switch until you get a new cord from BN.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 608 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: