Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bunkie68

Windows won't recognize my Nook?

I connected my Nook to the computer to put some books on it, and I got a message saying Windows didn't recognize the device.  I'm running Windows XP.  The charging light is on on the Nook, and there's a message on the screen saying that if I want to use it and continue charging, eject the Nook drive on my computer. But since my computer isn't recognizing it, there's nothing for me to eject.  Help? I don't want to mess it up when I just got it by just disconnecting the USB cable.

Also, I downloaded a free e-book from Barnes & Noble, and it shows up in my library on the B&N website, but not in my library on my desktop reader.  My computer says it doesn't know what program created it and can't open it.

Any thoughts?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: Windows won't recognize my Nook?

That's odd. I have XP as well and my computer recognized my nook the instant I plugged the USB plug in. If your computer has multiple USB ports, try all of them. Believe it or not, sometimes that works and I don't know why.

As for your second problem, I have no idea. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about it will chime in and help you.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
bunkie68
0 Kudos

Thanks, John.  I found a thread about the problem after I'd posted.  I just disconnected the USB cable and reconnected it, and now it's working fine.  Go figure!  The free e-book I downloaded is there, too, so all appears to be well.  :smileyhappy:

Lisa

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I'm glad you got it sorted out, Lisa,

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bunkie68 wrote:

Also, I downloaded a free e-book from Barnes & Noble, and it shows up in my library on the B&N website, but not in my library on my desktop reader.  My computer says it doesn't know what program created it and can't open it.

Any thoughts?

This portion of your problem description was fairly muddled, but what I think you meant was you downloaded an ebook to your computer, but your computer does not know how to open the file.

If you want to read the ebook on your computer, use this link http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp and select the download button at the right side to download a free ebook reader for your computer.  

Reader 4
blugrasgroupie
0 Kudos

My computer doesn't recognize my Nook

My computer doesn't recognize my Nook when I plug it in with the USB cable. Is there some software I need to download? I can't add any music or documents because of this. HELP!!!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: My computer doesn't recognize my Nook

[ Edited ]

This is the support board for the ereader software for PCs and mobile devices.  This is not the NOOK support board.  That is named "NOOK Q&A and Support" and can be found right above this board.

Please see this thread about your issue: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Windows-won-t-recognize-my-Nook/m-p/4838...

or this one:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/laptop-won-t-recognize-nook/m-p/525699/h...

There are others as well.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: My computer doesn't recognize my Nook

blugrasgroupie wrote:

My computer doesn't recognize my Nook when I plug it in with the USB cable. Is there some software I need to download? I can't add any music or documents because of this. HELP!!!

Reboot both nook and computer and try again.

You don't need any additional software.  Further help would require more info, such as what Operating system your computer is running, etc.

Reader 4
ElenaU
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know this thread is pretty old, but we had a similar issue last night and I just wanted to share what I found in case anyone else has the same problem. I poured through the B&N help forums looking for a solution to the same problem but nothing seemed to work. I played around with the computer for a while and believe I may have found a solution (that worked for us, anyway).

Back Story:
I plugged in my Nook the first time and had no issues. The second time (and each time after) I plugged my Nook into my PC to transfer books over and my PC no longer recognized it. The computer either didn't acknowledge that anything was plugged in or would say "this device is not recognized." We tried plugging it in to a computer at B&N and everything was fine. My PC was having an issue for some unknown reason.

Things We Tried (to no avail):

- Charging the Nook all the way up and connecting again

- Rebooting the PC / Power cycling the Nook

- Trying each USB port on the computer

The Fix:
I am running Windows XP, so this might not be the exact same for everyone, but the idea is essentially the same.
- Connect the Nook via the USB cable to your PC
- Click on "My Computer"
- Click on "Control Panel" on the left hand side
- Click on "Printers and Other Hardware"
- On the left hand side, click the button that says "Add Hardware"
- Run the "Add Hardware Wizard" and answer each question (i.e. yes it has already been connected)
- It will give you a list of detected hardware and on that list should be the Nook. If you're having the same problem I did, it will show up as the USB symbol with a yellow exclamation point next to it.
- Select the Nook, follow the instructions and let the computer do the rest. It will basically set it back to what it should have been and recognize it as an external hard drive, so you can add music, books, etc. to the folders on your Nook.

I'm no PC guru, so I have no idea what I did in the first place to cause this problem, but luckily there's nothing wrong with the Nook itself and it was a quick fix, once you know where to look.

Good luck!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Often just rebooting the computer solves this problem.

Its invariably caused by connecting/disconnecting the nook with reckless abandon.  :smileysurprised:

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. The computer has recognized it once but only once.

I have tried restarting it etc. but to no avail. I have windows 7. Also my OS is in Spanish, could this be a problem?

thanks,

pat

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

PatFerg wrote:

I don't know anything about any of the other questions you asked, but when you plug it into the computer does the NOOK go into USB Mode every time?  If it doesn't, it could be as simple as bad connections in your wire.

Sounds goofy, I know, but mine won't go into USB mode when I plug it in to my computer, but will charge intermittently.  I freaked out thinking it was NOOK, it was the micro-USB port, something catastrophic (yes, I'm passionate about my NOOK, lol) but I tested it at my in-laws last evening, several times, with the cord for father-in-law's NOOK and it worked almost 100%.  (It did disconnect itself once, but I tried at least 20 times.)  

I couldn't find the micro-USB to USB cables for our storms, and our camera has a different connection.  Our GPS is mini-USB and so are most of the rest of our small electrics.

I'm hoping a new cable is my solution.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

PatFerg wrote:

I have tried restarting it etc. but to no avail. I have windows 7. Also my OS is in Spanish, could this be a problem?

thanks,

pat

Power the computer all the way off.

Then try a different USB port on the computer (directly on the computer, not some USB hub or somethng).

Recognition of a USB device has nothing to do with language.

With enough plugging and unplugging you can get Windows in a state where it will ignore the port, assuming something is wrong.  Usually a reboot all the way from Off will fix this.  Always use Eject (not Safley remove) with a nook.

It is also possible to configure Windows not to give any obvious notifications when a device is plugged in, but it wil always show up in Windows Explorer. 

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

So I shut it off completely and used a different USB port. This time the device shows in window explorar for a mili-second and then disappears.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Does the nook stay in USB mode on its screen?

Its still not clear if you have a problem with your computer or a problem with your nook. 

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

Yep, the nook stays in USB mode.

Contributor
PatFerg
0 Kudos

Wait, I turned it off again and restarted it and now it is working. Very good. All is well now, but for future, does anyone have any ideas about this? Why would it work sometimes and not all the time?

Anyway thankyou for al your help.

Pat

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Looks more and more like some odd Windows sort of thing.

There are so many potential sources for that kind of behaviour that I scarcly know where to start.

There are some web hits on this subject:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53445-usb-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-disappearing.ht...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/32155-w7-tip-missing-external-usb-drives.html

Found them by googling:  windows 7 usb disappeared

Contributor
1914ww
0 Kudos

I hope this is not too simplistic but-

To charge my Nook, I have to make sure the Nook is still on (not off or asleep) when I connect it to the computer

To use a USB cable to sideload books onto the Nook, I have to make sure the Nook is off when I connect it to the computer.  Then the computer recognizes the Nook just fine.

Sorry if you were already doing that.  Just trying to help

Good Luck

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 524 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: