Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JonathanPScott
0 Kudos

Wireless (WiFi) Transfer to Nook

I don't believe I can transfer content to my nook over the wireless network (WiFi), but I would like to confirm that.  If that is true, does anyone know if this is planned as a future enhancement (in firmware, I hope)?

I charge my nook by my bed where I keep it, but that means it is not often plugged into my computer.  I regularly read my own content (files I load into My Documents) rather than content I receive from BN, so it would be convenient to be able to "push" or "pull" content over the WiFi network in my house.  I tried working around this by downloading a file in the beta Web Browser, but the browser told me that downloads were not supported.

Any help/advice/ideas would be appreciated.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Wireless (WiFi) Transfer to Nook

As of this version, you can't do this.

It would be nice to see browser based downloads of ebooks so that we could buy from Ereader.com and Fictionwise.com and download directly without sideloads.

I'm not sure B&N see much of a business case for that capability.  They own those two companies but there are quite a few other sources they don't own as well.

I'd love to be able to fetch books from my Calibre collection which has its own built in web server.  Works great from my Android phone.  But nook does not yet support this.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

@JonathanPScott

Not without a softroot. But please don't ask about that on this forum (not if you want objective advice at least :smileyvery-happy:). Try Mobilereads or Nookboards.

The cake is a lie.
New User
JonathanPScott
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.  Its good to know that others are interested in this capability, too.  I wasn't even thinking of access to additional eBook outlets (and unfortunately, that seems like disincentive for BN to add the capability I want).

I use InstaPaper to capture web content and convert it to ePub format for reading at night, but I hate having to manually transfer it to my nook.  Its probably sacrelige to say this here, but I read that you can email content to your Kindle for a small fee.  I would even be willing to pony up a quarter everytime I needed to transfer files if that was an option.

New User
imagrandpa
0 Kudos

Am I hearing that the ONLY way to transfer content from my PC to my NOOK

is with a USB cable?????

This is ridiculous!

If this is not fixed quikly.... I will buy no more books and I will  get rid of my nook.

I have a LOT of content I would like to transfer and would like to do it WIFI.

Please tell me I am wrong.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

imagrandpa wrote:

Am I hearing that the ONLY way to transfer content from my PC to my NOOK

is with a USB cable?????

This is ridiculous!

If this is not fixed quikly.... I will buy no more books and I will  get rid of my nook.

I have a LOT of content I would like to transfer and would like to do it WIFI.

Please tell me I am wrong.

[Emphasis added]

Books bought from B&N can be downloaded wirelessly.

Anything that you might "sideload" (non B&N books, wallpapers, screensavers, music) must transferred via USB.  The process is incredibly simple, but the short answer (to what I emphasized above) is "Yes."

New User
Wils
0 Kudos

Not exactly on this topic... I want to buy my books online through a secure connection and then download via USB on a non-secure computer.  I do not ever want to use the wireless function.  Is this possible?  I tried and was unable to see any of the books I purchased even though I downloaded them from BN website to Nook.

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Wils wrote:

Not exactly on this topic... I want to buy my books online through a secure connection and then download via USB on a non-secure computer.  I do not ever want to use the wireless function.  Is this possible?  I tried and was unable to see any of the books I purchased even though I downloaded them from BN website to Nook.

Thanks

This has been tangentially mentioned in a couple other threads.

The downloaded ebooks from the B&N website appear on your computer as double extension files.  (Right away this triggers many virus scanners.)  These double extension files are not recognized by nook.

So before downloading you have to right-click the download button and select Save AS, and remove the extra extension, leaving it as just .epub, OR after download you need to rename the file, removing the double extension.

For instance, clicking the download button you will get a file named something like:

2940094298058-ePub.v5.epub

But Nook won't buy that, and you have to rename it by removing making the extension just .epub:

2940094298058.epub

I can't imagine what they were thinking when they did this.

So you should be able to use your file manager on the nook to fix these files and load them to "my documents", or maybe even my B&N documents.

You should not download directly to your nook's drive when its connected via USB.  This often corrupts the book for some reason.  Better to download to your computer then drag them to nook. 

If you have wifi (or 3g) you should be aware that your account login information, credit card, etc does not travel across the net in cleartext.  Its fairly safe to shop on the nook, or just let it connect via wifi and download your books, even if it its an unsecured wifi.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Just to mention, if you load the NookBook for PC program and download your books through it, it will download a copy with a correct file name, no double extensions and with at least part of the title in the file name.  You get the double extensions and the ISBN only when you use the download option on the website.

I have no idea why you get different files, depending on how you download the books, but I've just gotten in the habit of loading PC Nook, and letting it download the books.  Then I copy that folder to another location for a backup.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

The double extension seems to vary depending on your computer OS.  I downloaded the same title to my Linux and Mac computers for backup.  On the Mac I get "_.v1.pdb" on Linux it is "_v4.epub". 

I have discussed the pdb default download to the Mac in another thread. 

New User
krisinpa
0 Kudos

I totally agree that tethered transfer is the only way. The Nook has both 3G and wifi....so why not a wifi transfer?!?! I'm a new user and like my Nook so far but am finding major limitations. (And yes, I know it's only an ereader, not a computer.) I want to read books borrowed from the library and can't transfer them wirelessly, especially when on vacation. Ah, the ever-pervasive reason for not being able to do something -- B&N doesn't make money if I borrow, don't buy. It's always about the $$.

But if anyone has any hints for me, let me know. I'm considering looking into Dropbox.

New User
punctiliouspig
0 Kudos

I was doing so much research before buying a Nook and wanted a 3G because of constant and indefinite WiFi access but ended up getting the WiFi model because it was on major sale before the new Nook model came out. Knowing now how limited the wireless capability is, I'm glad I didn't shell out more for 3G. Restricting wireless control for only B&N content? That's pretty sh*tty. Perhaps Amazon does the same thing, but their online management is so much better.

New User
Libraridan
0 Kudos

I speak heresy here, but Kindle books can be downloaded wirelessly from your library (actually via Amazon), or at least mine, now.  This is a much simpler and direct way to gain content without the rigamarole of using Overdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Editions and making a wired transfer.  B&N's arrogance in this area may prove their downfall (or one of the reasons).

On the other hand...B&N does allow my library to check out Nooks to library users loaded with bestsellers (that we pay for but can mount on 6 devices) where Amazon does not.

How this whole thing shakes out will be interesting.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Libraridan wrote:

I speak heresy here, but Kindle books can be downloaded wirelessly from your library (actually via Amazon), or at least mine, now.  This is a much simpler and direct way to gain content without the rigamarole of using Overdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Editions and making a wired transfer.  B&N's arrogance in this area may prove their downfall (or one of the reasons).

On the other hand...B&N does allow my library to check out Nooks to library users loaded with bestsellers (that we pay for but can mount on 6 devices) where Amazon does not.

How this whole thing shakes out will be interesting.

When the first Nook came out, I'm not sure that there was an over the air overdrive app that they could have used.  Amazon set up some type system where the user checks the book out from the library, which then somehow tells the Amazon site to download a copy of the book from Amazon's site, not the libraries.  I'm assuming they had to do significant programming to get the restrictions on the books so they expired at the correct time.  BN is using the standard ePub files from Overdrive.  I doubt it's arrogance, but the time required to get the necessary infrastructure in place to move to over the air.

The WSJ has reported that the Nook will get over the air library downloading sometime next year, although they don't say which Nook.  

New User
nookyguy
0 Kudos

Use the microSDHC card to transfer files between the nook and computer. If your computer only has a regular SDHC slot get an adopter  (micro card snaps into adopter and adopter fits into regular SDHC slot.

Files on the PC can be copied onto the SDHC card. When the card is placed back into the nook they will be seen . 

Reader
n1kez1lla
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nevermind. Wrong forum.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 214 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: