Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

Re: Wobbly shelves

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Then I read the part in the manual about how the shelves, like bookmarks, highlights, and notes, go away if you unregister (pages 67 and 96). I'm not going to go to the trouble to create shelves and to assign all of my e-books to shelves just to lose all of my work when I need to change my account's e-mail address or if I encounter Nook Sync Disorder and have to unregister/reregister.

Now here's the question.  Since they aren't backed up, what happens with the next update?  Will we lose all out shelves?  I wonder if the people at B&N making decesions even own NOOKs.  If they did things like this wouldn't happen.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

bluedaze wrote:

I was thinking there would be something like a Main Page, which would appear when I tapped My Library, in which I could see a list of my shelves, so when I thought of a book I wanted to read, I could navigate down that main page to the shelf I knew the book was on, tap on it, see only the books on that shelf, and then select it. 

I preorder - and here's what I do that sounds like what you want.

I had a shelf marked 2010-11-23.  I select shelves/Go to shelf/ and down in the touch screen it shows 2010-11-23 (and 2010-12-01 and 2010-12-07 and 2011-01-04) I select 2010-11-23 and it goes to that shelf with three books on it.  I unselect the preorder and the date shelf for each one and select "to read soon" as I am on each book.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Start by making the shelves you think you'll need.

Consider which one of the three sorts will be best to do your tagging, and move the shelves up and down so the ones you use most are at the top.

It only took me about 15 minutes to do about 170 books - I started with about 10 shelves and added a few more.

To Read Soon

To Read

To Read Someday

Read 2010

Read or started - eh

Read will reread

Nibbling at

Bio history

Bought for Someday

Google Books

Google Books UU

Genealogy

Preordered

2010-12-01

2010-12-07

2011-01-04

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Whitecat5000 wrote:

I have a shelf that is 15 pages long.  If I want to get the the 8th page of that, I still have to move through many pages.  It is a waste of time in my opinion.

This is standard information theory stuff - You need to think about what kinds of things you would want to break out of the shelf and make those shelves - then make one pass through and assign them.  I've already broken my "To Read" three or four times.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ Whitecat

If you have a shelf that is 15 pages long, create subcategories by alphabet, author or genre: 

- (i.e: Non-fiction-Politics; Non-fiction-Politics-Presidents; Non-fiction-Reference

- Non-fiction (A-D); Non-fiction (E-J), etc

- Romance-Modern; Romance-Historical-Non-Regency; Romance-Regency;

- Mystery/Suspense-Woods;  Mystery/Suspense-Child

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Correspondent
bluedaze
0 Kudos

cwmagui wrote:

I like those ideas.  I like reading books in series.  I'm reading the Sharpe's series now.  It's 21 books long, so I created a shelf for that series, one for classics, and I'm still thinking about other shelves. 

Oh, it's nice to see a fellow Sharpe enthusiast.  I read the original 13 straight through in a couple of weeks.  I was completely sleep deprived, as there were plenty of nights I was up until 1 or 2 in the morning because I simply could not put the book down! 

Correspondent
bluedaze

Except for a couple of responses, I'm seeing genuine attempts from people to be helpful with the Shelves feature and I think that's fantastic.  Thank you for taking the time.  But speaking only for myself, I completely understand how to use it, and I set mine up pretty much the way everyone has described- starting with a few 'basic' shelves, then breaking those down into smaller sub-categories, creating a 'top' shelf for frequently read books, etc.  And all of that works.  But the thing is I just don't like it.  It's just so much...less than I expected.  And I hate that.  Because I want to love it.  But I just don't.  It's just too clunky and doesn't feel neat and organized.  After I had created my shelves, I tapped on 'Reorder Shelves' to put them in order of most used, and voila- what appeared on my screen but that single list of all my shelves on one page, visible at one time, in a very neat, organized display that didn't look the least bit cluttered and is exactly what I was wanting to see every time I opened up My Library.  I just don't see why in the world they didn't set it up that way.  I understand that it's still better organization than we had before, but it just seems like they didn't finish it so it's not as good as it could be.   

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

THe one major hold up for me that is making my organization a nightmare is remembering what each book I own is about!! THere's 500 ebooks, about 100 that I've read, another 100 that I instantly recognize the genre because of the authors name, but the rest? ugh

I thought it would be helpful to look at B&N my library but unlike most every other ebook store I've visited, there's no listing of the ebook genres on the ebooks description page?!?!?!

How can that be? Isn't this a book store?

I gave up for now. I'll have to rethink how I'm going to do things before I start such a frustrating task again.

I am envious of those who have huge libraries and can remember each and every book to know where to put it on the shelf well enough to do it all in under an hour.

Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

@ Whitecat

If you have a shelf that is 15 pages long, create subcategories by alphabet, author or genre: 

- (i.e: Non-fiction-Politics; Non-fiction-Politics-Presidents; Non-fiction-Reference

- Non-fiction (A-D); Non-fiction (E-J), etc

- Romance-Modern; Romance-Historical-Non-Regency; Romance-Regency;

- Mystery/Suspense-Woods;  Mystery/Suspense-Child

This might sound obstinate but I don't want to have to break up my wish list.  I want to make as many shelves as I want and be able to easily find the books I want.

I know if I'm not willing to make the effort I shouldn't complain. I think my complaining comes from the anticipation for a month about the most awesome update ever . . . and then it doesn't seem to be all it's cracked up to be.  Granted it is a solid update, but I don't feel it's worth the hype.

AllenR
0 Kudos

Whitecat5000 wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Then I read the part in the manual about how the shelves, like bookmarks, highlights, and notes, go away if you unregister (pages 67 and 96). I'm not going to go to the trouble to create shelves and to assign all of my e-books to shelves just to lose all of my work when I need to change my account's e-mail address or if I encounter Nook Sync Disorder and have to unregister/reregister.

I wonder if the people at B&N making decesions even own NOOKs.  If they did things like this wouldn't happen.

Precisely!  :smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Contributor
Alwzreading
0 Kudos

My issue with the shelving system (at least the way mine went on the shelf) is that they went on in PURCHASED order.  I read a lot of 'series' books and for a couple of these (for whatever reason), the first or maybe the 6th weren't available but I bought all the rest, then the 'missing' volume was available - and it ends up last.  If I can shuffle the way songs play in a playlist in iTunes, what's so hard about being able to file them in the order I want here?

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs

[ Edited ]

OK, the shelves are more like tags than folders, you can have a book in more than 1 shelf.

The method of scrolling through books placing each one on a shelf as you go may work for the first pass, but what about when you already have hundreds of titles, and add a book? The book, if it ends up late in the list, takes may button clicks to get to. Search for the book? From the search results, shelf options are unavailable. Change order to most recent? Maybe.

I'm looking at way too many titles to do anything other than something like using calibre, and sorting different ways in it, and clicking the first in a run that fit a category, then shift clicking the last, and bulk editing the data.

Before I got the nook, I downloaded pretty much the whole smashwords library of free scifi, and anything else that caught my interest, on my phone. Most of it's short stories, but that plus the 140 or so novels I had already, gets me over 1600 documents.

My wish is for B&N to not only make the shelves manageable with the nook app on the PC, but do it by putting a readable file in the USB accessible files, that someone at calibre can figure out. That would make shelves possible to back up, along with quickly mass editing. Somewhere hidden on the nook must be a file that lists what the shelves are, and has an entry for each book, and which shelves it's on. Just make that file accessible, and in some unencrypted form.

PS oh, yes a way to order books on shelves for series, and publication dates is needed too. On my phone, in aldiko, the books were shown with pub dates

Contributor
BarbaraKE
0 Kudos

I have to look on the bright side.  On the kindle fire, there's no way to organize your books at all.  You can sort by title/author/most recent - that's all.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 551 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: