Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
stevetol
0 Kudos

Word Documents

Can you sideload Word Documents to Nook? if so How?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Word Documents

stevetol wrote:

Can you sideload Word Documents to Nook? if so How?

No. From the User Guide, it will support ePub, pdf and pdb.  Your best bet would be download Calibre and convert it to ePub.  I still have an older version of Calibre so to convert it I first had to save the Word document as an rtf, Calibre wouldn't read the doc file.  I don't know if that has changed.

Once you've done that, you need to sideload it to the nook into the My documents section of the Nook.

Contributor
rinkrat
0 Kudos

Or, Office 2007 will save as a PDF.  I've used it several times to convert word docs for my Nook, and they look great.  As capable as Calibre is, sometimes it's hard to know what your final product is going to look like, and it might take a few tries.  With Word, you can see what you're getting, and adjust things like paragraph spacing and margins a lot more easily.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

Calibre has a ebook viewer built into the program.  No more guessing.

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter
0 Kudos

Word sometimes produces odd page results.  If you're not happy with the Caltibe conversion from Word to .epdb, save your Word document in .rtf (Rich Text Format), then use Calibre to covert the .rtf to .epub.   If you have chapters, make sure there is a hard page break at the end of each chapter.

This will work for most documents. If you have any special formating, another method may be required.

Frequent Contributor
Suyai
0 Kudos

Another option is OpenOffice which is free- it reads word documents and can convert to pdf and pdb

New User
tdjo
0 Kudos

I used Open Office to convert a document to .pdb. However, when I tried to read it on my Nook it asked for a username, password, and credit card to verify my purchase of the book. My professor posted the article for us to access. How can I get around this?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@tdjo

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Try using Calibre to convert it to an EPUB.  That may get by the confusion that your Nook is having with the PDB.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
joshparker
0 Kudos

works...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 709 guests