Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Workarounds/Solutions for Notetaking on NOOK?

Hello All:

Since the 1.5 update didn't really solve the issue of note-taking capabilities on the NOOK classic, I'm wondering if anyone has generated any decent workarounds or solutions that make taking notes on texts easier.

So far, I've only found a couple of not-the-best ideas, but they're working for now:

1. Adding a bookmark to each page of a book where I've added a highlight or note. This at least makes them faster to find later. The faster page-refresh in the 1.5 version makes this a little better as well.

2. For longer notes, where I have wi-fi access, I've simply used the browser to log in to my gmail account and writing the longer note as an email to myself. Works in a pinch.

Of course, there's always the solution of having a regular ol' notebook along, which I do too--but it'd be nice to handle all that electronically.

Has anyone found any other ideas for taking or syncing notes on the NOOK?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Workarounds/Solutions for Notetaking on NOOK?

Why not paper and pen.

Look, just pretend its a library book that you can't right in.   Notes in the book are a pain anyway.  You have to open the book and search all over for the note.  And they don't sync across devices. 

Why would anyone want to painstakingly peck out notes on that tiny keyboard when you can jot on paper in 1/10 of the time?  You can flip thru notes on paper very quickly.

Get a thin notebook, perfect-bound, not spiral bound, it will fit inside your Nook cover.  Maybe something like this:

See it here or find something in any office products store.

If you have a cover with an inside slot such as many of the basic Barnes and Noble covers

such as any one of these:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/imageviewer.asp?EAN=9781615598762&imid=44553819&bnit=H

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/imageviewer.asp?EAN=9781615600625&imid=44553923&bnit=H

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/imageviewer.asp?EAN=9781616837020&imid=82384509&bnit=H

you can keep that notebook right there with the nook!.  (Note: I chose to post only the lowest price covers from B&N.  If you spend a bit more you can find some awesome covers.

By the way: did you know those cheap as dirt 5x8 note pads are a perfect match for the size of the nook:

Note taking ON the nooks is an imaginary problem.  Just because its possible doesn't make it practical. Sometimes a simple solution is the best.

Hey Michael-V:  Why not suggest to the Accessories people a cover designed for note takers which has a built in note pad slot.  Sell the note pad refills in the stores. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I'd just like to point out that the official moleskine cover for kindle has this feature - I've been e-mailing them for ages to request a nook version of the cover, but then I discovered that the kindle version sort of fits the nook as well (via various reviews that pointed it out).  It's a tad bid large, margin-wise (by, say, a centimeter on each side), but I got a lefty one on deep discount at amazon before they sold out (they switched the design to favor "righties"), and while the elastic straps a a little closer to the edge than I'd normally like, once all 4 of them are on, my nook doesn't go anywhere.  My favorite cover by far.  As an added bonus, there's enough room in the spine to hold the m-edge light when the cover is closed.  (YMMV as to whether this is a bonus or not, but since I like to keep my light with my device, it's definitely a bonus to me).  

(I'd post links, but they'd just get deleted.)

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Beren:

I'm using the same first workaround you listed, so I wanted to give you a warning if you haven't already encountered this.  Sometimes, a single page in an eBook actually takes two or three screens on the nook.  If you take a note on, say, screen 1 of page 31 and then add a bookmark, the bookmark is attached to screen 1.  Then, if you take a note on screen 3 of page 31, you can't add another bookmark because the nook thinks you have already bookmarked page 31.

Since you can only find your notes later by using the "go to bookmark" feature, this means that when you "go to" page 31, the nook will take you only to screen 1 of page 31, the screen at which you added the bookmark.  You won't find the note you took on screen 3 of page 31 unless you remember to page manually through until the page number changes to page 32.

This is why I've been repeatedly asking for a "go to highlight/note" feature, separate from the "go to bookmark" feature.  No luck in v1.5, but I'll keep hoping for v1.6.

To icebike, who recommended old-fashioned paper notes, I never seem to have a paper and pen or pencil handy when I'm reading my nook.  I don't actually take notes; I highlight passages I want to copy later into my reading journal, so the highlight feature is perfect for me (if I could just solve the problem described above).

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Thanks for these comments. I actually carry my nook in a small 5x7 pad holder much like the one pictured (except that mine zips shut), and one of the thin 3-pack 5x7 moleskine books accompanies my nook wherever I go. It is one good solution.

However, there is a reason to want to take and sync notes on the device, which is specifically so one can keep the notes with the text and be able to acess them anywhere, in an electronically searchable form.

I agree, though, that, for now, pen and paper are the best nook accessories! :-)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I use the industrial cover from B&N, that is what is pictured above.  

The pad just has restick-able double sided tape on the back.  Not too high tech, I know, but I only use it when reading history or something where the author feels compelled to mention 400 characters in the book.

But I've tried to get Note syncing to work between nook and iphone.  Even when I got furthest point read to sync, notes didn't sync.

So if you made it work, I'm interested to know how.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

There is an accessories cover for the Nook that includes a pen and place for a notepad. The cover comes with 3 notepads and is available on December 10th. We preordered it a month ago.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

There is an accessories cover for the Nook that includes a pen and place for a notepad. The cover comes with 3 notepads and is available on December 10th. We preordered it a month ago.

Got a link?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

You would ask for a link....:smileysad:

It's on the B&N Nook accessories page, on page one under the covers section. It's the Signature Journal in Mocha.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Oh, I like it....

Signature Journal Cover in Mocha

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ icebike...Thanks for putting the link in... I'm so embarassed.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 199 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: