Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
youglogirl
0 Kudos

YES!!! The bookmarks, highlights and notes work!

Thus far, I have made at least 10 highlights, bookmarks and notes in 3 different books.  I am able to access every single one of them. Woohoo!  I love to reference my notes for Book Club discussion and for research I am doing on various projects.  Thanks, B&N software folks!

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

Re: YES!!! The bookmarks, highlights and notes work!

The bookmarks working makes me happy, as does the last page read and new icons!!!!

However, the highlight/note function needs a fine tune.  It'd be nice to go to the page that they are one!

Overall, I'm happy with 1.2.0!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yeah, notes don't seem to be worth much.

Really, I don't know what people expected of them.  Who does this anyway?   

You let me put a link in a note in one book to a specific book mark in another book and I'll be freakin Impressed.   Let me tap that book mark to save my place in this book and open the other book to that target and I'll buy you beer!

Reader 2
fmcpherson
0 Kudos

I think the highlights feature of the nook needs some more work. It was working fine for me before the 1.2 update, now after applying the update I am experiencing cases where while I am making a highlight the nook just suddenly goes back to the home screen. I am sensing that there is some type of memory leak associated with the highlighting function.

B&N also needs to rework the UI for highlights. The buttons on the navigation circle are too small. I think the circle should be replaced with a upside down T such as you find on my keyboards and that the buttons be large enough to easily press. 

Finally, I want bookmark, highlight, and note synchronization so that I can see these items on my PC as well as on my nook, or any other device on which I am running the B&N eReader program. 

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Agree with these comments. In particular, a list of highlights/notes would be very helpful. And, the ability to see notes/annotations in the ereader (and even create them on the PC app and transfer to the nook) would be awesome.

The only way I've thought of to make things more usable is to create a bookmark when I create a highlight/note. That way, I can at least have some way to see where I might have made an annotation.

Anybody else figured out a way to make the feature more useful?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

wynand32 wrote:

Well first you need to suggest why you would make notes in an ereader at all.   Its a little like making notes while researching something in the library.  You wouldn't write in the book.  You would write somewhere else, such as a notebook that you could take with you. But even if you owned the book and kept your notes in that book's margins, its not all that useful unless you happen to somehow remember which book you happened to write your not in.  

Similarly, putting notes in the ebook means you have to search thru all of your ebooks to find the notes.  If you had them in a notebook they would be available everywhere.  If the were in an external document on the nook you might be able to find them by searching for key words.  But you have to admit that little keyboard is pretty clunky for that kind of stuff.

Perhaps if the developers understood what you wanted to do with the notes they would be able to design something that worked.

Why do you take notes in the nook?  

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep them in a computer or paper file?

If you have them in a computer file, why not print to pdf or epub files and put the pdf on the nook and the Desktop Reader.  

Lots of people talking about notes and annotations, but nobody has explained why you would do this in the nook.

Frequent Contributor
Iain010100
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

fmcpherson wrote: I am experiencing cases where while I am making a highlight the nook just suddenly goes back to the home screen.

This is probably because the nook button is still active. Hit the nook button by accident while typing out a sentence and you'll get kicked back to the home screen. Some letters on the keyboard are too close to the button. I had this problem the first time I tried to authorize a DRM'd book.

BN needs to move the bottom of the nook button's active area up a bit whenever the keyboard is open.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

wynand32 wrote:

Why do you take notes in the nook?  

Are you familiar with writing margin notes and highlighting passages in physical books? If so, then I'm not sure what you're asking here. If not, then some people (many people?) like to take notes in a book's margins as they're reading along, and to highlight passages directly in the book (with a yellow highlighter, natch). They do this to keep the notes precisely in context, without needing to reference the page, paragraph, etc. as in external notes. Indeed, I only take external notes when it's a book that I can't mark up for whatever reason.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Highlights still aren't working for me. I'm trying it in an epub in my documents. I go thru the process of adding a highlight w/ a note. I have selected show highlights. I can go in & read the note, but the passage I highlight on the page isn't highlighted. Isn't it supposed to be light gray like it was when I selected it to be hightlighted?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

wynand32 wrote:
Are you familiar with writing margin notes and highlighting passages in physical books? If so, then I'm not sure what you're asking here. If not, then some people (many people?) like to take notes in a book's margins as they're reading along, and to highlight passages directly in the book (with a yellow highlighter, natch). They do this to keep the notes precisely in context, without needing to reference the page, paragraph, etc. as in external notes. Indeed, I only take external notes when it's a book that I can't mark up for whatever reason.

I'm familiar with highlighting and margin notes from my college days.

And this is fine for text books where the only place you will be looking for study hints is back at that very same physical text book.    (Never worked in college when I borrowed my friend's text book.  His margin notes were mostly doodles.)

Not so good for a general research projects because you still had to remember which book had the notes and highlighting.  Five or six different books on a subject make for a lot of note searching.

People up-thread were talking about an external note approach (pen and pad), which to me seems the only sane approach for a research project.  You have to have centralized notes, not stuff scattered in 20 different physical books, or worse, 20 different eBooks.

Asking for enhancements to the notes seems unlikely to make it a suitable research tool.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

wynand32 wrote:

I'm familiar with highlighting and margin notes from my college days.

And this is fine for text books where the only place you will be looking for study hints is back at that very same physical text book.    (Never worked in college when I borrowed my friend's text book.  His margin notes were mostly doodles.)

Not so good for a general research projects because you still had to remember which book had the notes and highlighting.  Five or six different books on a subject make for a lot of note searching.

People up-thread were talking about an external note approach (pen and pad), which to me seems the only sane approach for a research project.  You have to have centralized notes, not stuff scattered in 20 different physical books, or worse, 20 different eBooks.

Asking for enhancements to the notes seems unlikely to make it a suitable research tool.

Well, first, I take notes when I'm reading novels and very specific non-fiction works. Those aren't necessarily (or, for me, even that often) part of larger research projects. However, even if they are...

Second, the beauty of ebooks and ebook readers are their electronic natures (of course). They're tailor-made for organizing and centralizing precisely this sort of information. If one could take notes and create highlights on the nook and have those 1) easily found within an ebook, for standalone pieces like novels and specific works of non-fiction, 2) compiled in a single comprehensive listing for all ebooks currently loaded on the device, and 3) synced with the Windows/Mac ereader software, then that would be a powerful tool.

In fact, I'd say that just the ability to sync to the Windows/Mac ereader software would be sufficient. The notes could be offloaded, sorted, search, etc., etc., and that would really leverage the technology. I currently use a number of electronic tools for my research work and have been for going on 10 years, and frankly can't imagine going back to pad and pencil for it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

wynand32 wrote:

Second, the beauty of ebooks and ebook readers are their electronic natures (of course). They're tailor-made for organizing and centralizing precisely this sort of information. If one could take notes and create highlights on the nook and have those 1) easily found within an ebook, for standalone pieces like novels and specific works of non-fiction, 2) compiled in a single comprehensive listing for all ebooks currently loaded on the device, and 3) synced with the Windows/Mac ereader software, then that would be a powerful tool.

Ok good information.  This is the type of info I suggested people post above.

Now, how would you want this syncing to work?  And what form would you want the book marks in, (especially the centralized note repository that you suggest)?

Would you want your notes to be something you manually have to transfer to your PC?  (The nook does not "Sync" when you plug it in, its just a disk drive - you would have to move this info manually).

Would you be comfortable with this information uploaded to your B&N account and stored on their servers so that you could access if from, say, the Desktop Reader, or your iPhone/Blackberry?

What format should this central note repository be in?  Specialized format, or something you could manipulate with say, Excell or any other spread sheet tool,  or a web browser, or what? 

Oh, and "pen and pad" was merely a vehicle for [insert favorite note taking tool here].

Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

I personally don't use the notetaking or highlight functions on the nook. But I could see students using it, for etextbooks or a book for a lit. class, but I think that I would be taking notes the old fashioned way with pen/pencil and paper. Just a suggestion, but how about using a Pen Scanner? It should work well on the e-ink

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Ok good information.  This is the type of info I suggested people post above.

Now, how would you want this syncing to work?  And what form would you want the book marks in, (especially the centralized note repository that you suggest)?

Would you want your notes to be something you manually have to transfer to your PC?  (The nook does not "Sync" when you plug it in, its just a disk drive - you would have to move this info manually).

Would you be comfortable with this information uploaded to your B&N account and stored on their servers so that you could access if from, say, the Desktop Reader, or your iPhone/Blackberry?

What format should this central note repository be in?  Specialized format, or something you could manipulate with say, Excell or any other spread sheet tool,  or a web browser, or what? 

Hmmm... Well, first, the ability to locate all notes on the nook that are in a given ebook could be as simple as the current bookmark list. Not specifically what you asked, but I thought I'd mention it.

As far as the synced notes/highlights go, it would be nice to do it to the server. I believe that B&N plans to add at least the ability to sync the last page read to the ereader software, and at least for B&N books. Would it be hard for them to also sync notes/highlights, and then also sync the same info for ebooks in my documents? Maybe not... I do believe that there's a folder for notes/highlights in the my documents folder, so the information should be easily accessible.

As far as the format, I'd be happy with a simple snippet that provided the ebook title, page number, paragraph, highlighted text, and then any added notes. This could be in a simple text file, for easy cut and paste into other notetaking software. The information could certainly be made available in the ereader software.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

wynand32 wrote:
 As far as the synced notes/highlights go, it would be nice to do it to the server. I believe that B&N plans to add at least the ability to sync the last page read to the ereader software, and at least for B&N books. Would it be hard for them to also sync notes/highlights, and then also sync the same info for ebooks in my documents?  

This sync-ing of current page already works between the nook and the Desktop Reader by the way.

Syncing the rest in a similar way would seem to make the most sense.

But this is bound to stir up the privacy whiners.

Just sayin....

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

This sync-ing of current page already works between the nook and the Desktop Reader by the way.

Syncing the rest in a similar way would seem to make the most sense.

But this is bound to stir up the privacy whiners.

Just sayin....

It does? It's not working for me... I'll have to recheck to see if 1.2 fixed anything. But the last time I looked, the last page read was way off on the nook vs. the Windows reader, so much so in fact that I'd been assuming B&N hadn't yet turned on that feature.

As far as privacy goes, that's just silliness as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who's worried about "privacy" should go live in a hut in the middle of a rain forest then, because there's far more valuable information out there about all of us than any notes and highlights I might make on my nook. I mean, do these same people buy stuff online with credit cards?

Reader
ELAteacher
0 Kudos

As an English teacher and - not coincidentally - an avid reader, I generally highlight (underline) passages in books if something jumps out at me that I may want to talk about in class.  I would love to be able to open a book on my Mac, and be able to see the passages that I highlighted on my nook.  I don't mind having to flip through pages (although I could also use the Bookmark feature, I suppose), because I usually know approximately where in the book the passage is located.

Reader 4
SultaZ
0 Kudos

Being able to search for highlights or notes in a book such as the bible would be greatly beneficial.  Clicking on Go To and seeing a highlight or note option, would be a nice feature.  You could see the note you are looking for and be taken right to the page when it is clicked.

Also being able to rename bookmarks would be a nice feature.  When I highlight or make a note, I have to then make a bookmark so that I can find it, but looking at the bookmarks and seeing page 201, means nothing to me.  Let me change the name.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 925 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: