Contributor
rhondanna
0 Kudos

advertising cluttering my nook - HELP

I had a little freakout yesterday when showing a friend my new nook and seeing that there were 9 or 10 new titles showing on my nook - all saying "new" next to them. After double checking with my son (10) that he'd not ordered them, I went to the website and realized that these are merely ads for this week's books on sale/special. The problem: I have to go online and delete each of these individually. Not much time, I know. But I didn't pay hundreds of dollars for this device to get unsolicited content that I can't delete from the nook, sending my to my computer and junking up my nook/making it harder to navigate among the books I do have. Also, with all the e-communication we all have every day, to have to individually delete these items that don't interest me is ridiculous. At ten a week intermixed with my books, it will become a nightmare. I want to opt out of these unsolicited downloads or be able to click them all and delete from my nook. HELP!

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

Re: advertising cluttering my nook - HELP

I agree.  Had not used my Nook for a few days and when I turned it on, I was appalled and VERY angry!  It goes back TODAY if someone does not give a very quick answer as to how to disable this - B&N does not control my Nook, I do, and these were not welcome, not appreciated.  My husband has a Kindle and this does not happen to him.

There should be a way to delete books and there is not - archiving is ridiculous and we should not have to go through the back door to get to the front to delete these via the B&N site.

I am livid that this happened!. .

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I have nothing on my Nook that I didn't purchase and I just checked for new content.  Where are you seeing this?

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

In the B&N Library - My Documents ----- there were about 10 added last night and two still remain after the search as to how to delete them ------

Frequent Contributor
Linda54660
0 Kudos

Not doubting you, but it didn't happen to me.  I just checked both my BN Library and My Documents.  BN Library only has books I purchased or downloaded as free and My Docs only has the two items in there that have been there since the beginning.  I did check for new content in both areas.  Hmmmm

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

Need B&N to respond.  I just did a off/on and there are still two of these books that are still on my reader - and they do not show in my on-line library as these were ones my husband deleted last night (the other 8 did disappear) - and I just did a delete of a duplicate book and it did take it off, but these two still remain . . .

Wonder if it is a specific time and myself and a few others (the first post) happened to hit it at the wrong time ------O am sure there are others out there.

I like the device, but will not keep it if this is to be a regular thing.

I hope B&N responds soon or it will go back!

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

We did go and get the free book this week #1 Ladies Detective - we wonder if it has to do with getting this free book via the code they gave - would the first person respond if they too got thte free book this week?  Maybe they have inserted something in the code that allows this . . .

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My account is clean, but I haven't had any dealings with B&N in the past week or so. I haven't had the NOOK in-store, haven't bought anything, haven't used the free e-book coupon.

B&N has a history of temporary foul-ups on the accounts. They're new to this e-book selling stuff, and they're probably making a lot of changes to the online software. Sometimes things go wrong.

You probably should call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. Ask them if this was a mistake. If it wasn't a mistake, let them know—nicely but forcefully—that you don't like it. They're the ones who are most able to convey your complaints to the folks at B&N who can change this. We forum members can't.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I haven't seen additional anything on my Nook that I haven't put there myself.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ rhondanna,

Very strange.  I downloaded a free book yesterday and purchased two books today.  I've had my nook since February and there is nothing on it except what I have put there.  This is not a usual thing and I definitely think you should call CS.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have for your communication preferences on your B&N account?  I don't know if it has anything to do with what you're experiencing, but I have "Send me notices and communications about: Special offers, events, new products and services from Barnes & Noble" set to NO.

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

We just did a full reset and unregistered - registered and the book (there are two copies!) still shows up yet it is not on our B&N list!  It is the same book.  The rest did not show up.  Will check the communications setting - getting closer to getting in the car to take it back!!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ ReaderSW,

After you did your reset and reregistered, did you "check for new B&N content"?  

I know it's extremely frustrating, but it is not a normal occurrence.

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

On phone with customer service - their server did this last night ----- happened to hit it at the wrong time - want these two other books off!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ ReaderSW,

So, was CS able to delete the books for you?

Contributor
rhondanna
0 Kudos

Re: advertising cluttering my nook - HELP - UPDATE

I was wrong, it is not advertising. But it is a glitch and has progressed to purchasing and downloading one of the 8 sample books that were downloaded without permission so I was charge $12.99 for Sabastian Jungers book WAR. I talked to customer service, it is happening to others, they are working on it but he had no idea if they would contact people by email or how to let us know it is fixed. It sounds like a new problem.

To be clear, these showed up just as any new book shows up on your nook, I had not used a code to get a free book or downloaded anything else, I had not even been using it to browse books or anything. They are showing up online and on the nook, for me.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Oh boy, I would not be happy if this happened to me!  Now I did get the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency free book,  plus I ordered 9 B&N ebooks yesterday (all Random House!) and downloaded them on my Nook but I don't have anything there that I didn't order.  *knock on wood*

Linda

New User
ReaderSW
0 Kudos

it was a server problem and I just happened to turn it on at the wrong time - they are working on it and the books will eventually clear - they are unsure as to what actually happened . . .

Contributor
read2010
0 Kudos

I have two copies of Dead in the House on my Nook marked as new.  I did not ask to have these books on my nook.  When I click on the books, the only option I have is to download and pay for them.  I went to my online account at www.bn.com to check my library there.  The two copies of Dead in the House do not show online.  Sooooo, I called customer service.  She had me connect my Nook to the computer. She told me I could Archive the two books.  But I don't want to clutter up by Nook library with books I do not want and have not downloaded.  So she came back and told me that the title Dead in the HOuse was just released for one of the five free books for the Nook.  But when I check, it is still $12.99 to purchase.  So I do not think she is correct.  Also, even if I wanted the book, which I do not, I would not want two copies.  I hope this problem is fixed soon!!!!

Contributor
read2010
0 Kudos

Correction to above post.  I received two copies of Dead in the Family. 

New User
bre30127
0 Kudos

This happened to me as well. The first customer service person didn't help at all.  When I called back they said the same stuff about it being a server issue.  I thought it was stuck on my Nook somewhere so I exchanged it for another one.  Turn on the new Nook and BAM their are those dang books again.  I can't even read it or anything.  If you try and download it, it just says Error: contact customer support.    Annoying! 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:55 members 424 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: