Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
valdemar
0 Kudos

after 1 month - nook vs netbook (and others ereaders) - changing opinion

hi all...
well, after 1 month using nook, and learning about eraders, im sad to say this but i think its better solution take a netbook!
the reader cant read pdf files nicely, we must change to epub and market dont hgave good convert softwares...
any after 1 month I STILL CANT RECONIZES my books and articles on mu sd card in NOOK...
so... why buy a erader, if its dont work for the pourpous that it was manufactured?!
if work for books bought online ok, SO DONT PUBLISH IN WEB THAT READ UR FILES PDFS AND EPUB FROM SDCARD...
B&N spent many time to launch new firmware, and while this not happens we r changing our opinions about NOOK...
so i think NOOK is losting space to other eraders and netbooks...
cya all
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: after 1 month - nook vs netbook (and others ereaders) - changing opinion

[ Edited ]

I think that was the hardest post I ever have read!!

Netbooks are great but are not a stand alone eReader.  My NOOK has worked fine with no problems since I got my NOOK 6 months ago and it "work for the pourpous that it was manufactured?!"

And when you make an opinion it is your own; so therefore with his quote: "B&N spent many time to launch new firmware, and while this not happens we r changing our opinions about NOOK..." don't count me in your "we" category as I obviously am not part of it.

Good luck with your netbook!  I admit I read on my laptop occasionally but nothing beats an eInk screen.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

valdemar wrote:

hi all...
well, after 1 month using nook, and learning about eraders, im sad to say this but i think its better solution take a netbook!
the reader cant read pdf files nicely, we must change to epub and market dont hgave good convert softwares...
any after 1 month I STILL CANT RECONIZES my books and articles on mu sd card in NOOK...
so... why buy a erader, if its dont work for the pourpous that it was manufactured?!
if work for books bought online ok, SO DONT PUBLISH IN WEB THAT READ UR FILES PDFS AND EPUB FROM SDCARD...
B&N spent many time to launch new firmware, and while this not happens we r changing our opinions about NOOK...
so i think NOOK is losting space to other eraders and netbooks...
cya all

I agree with the previous poster, very hard post to read, I almost skipped over it.  

Nook vs netbook (and other ereaders) "better solution, take a netbook!" - A netbook is not an eReader.  I have one, I read a couple of books on it before I got my Nook and hated it.  It's like reading on a computer (obviously, since that's what it is) and it's darn near impossible to read on it bed.  It's not comfortable to sit in my recliner and read on the Netbook either, it wasn't designed with reading books in mind.

I'm extremely happy with my Nook, it does exactly what I want to it do.  I read books on it.  I don't care if I have a web browser on it, I don't care if I have games on it.  (Although I will admit that I play Sudoku on it ).  I don't want care if it ever has a calender, task list, etc, I have other devices that I use for those things that will always work better.

So, don't count me in your statement that we are changing our opinion, because I'm certainly not.

Frequent Contributor
valdemar
0 Kudos

well... lets talk about SOCIETY and benefits FOR ALL and not for egocentric emotions...

we r looking maaaaaaaaaaaaany   complaims about NOOK  and problems... just need a litle look in some pages in forum (erader soft and suport)...

i KNOW NETBOOK is not be compared a erader... first pof all netbook has BACKLIGHT, and ereadrer uses E-INK...

but WHAT funciton for ereader???? read E-BOOK RIGHT?!?!

nook DO THIS??!?!?!

I THINK ONLY BOUGHT IN E-STORE...

my complaim is about for porpous that was anouced by NOOK manufacturer: read all eletronics in xxx, xxx, xxx and xxx format...

but its doing this?!?!?!

OBVIUSLY SOME PPL HAS UR DEVIDE WORK PERFECTLY... BUT WE R MANY PPL... NOT ONLY 1...  if u got ur working fine... GOOD FOR U DUDE... GOD BLESS UR DEVICE... buit not come here and say to me, and other have proiblems with same device, that problem isnt exists...

i hope i was clearly now...

Frequent Contributor
C8H10N4O2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And post #2 is super hard to read, but I made it through it somehow.

I love my nook.  The only aspects of the nook I don't enjoy are the daily, the web browser, the games, and some ebook prices (although that's not specifically a "nook" thing).  If I could take that crap out and use the nook for what it was primarily designed to do instead of having all this crappy bloatware, I wouldn't have to talk about any negative aspects anymore.

If you bought a nook wanting it to be a netbook, sorry you talked yourself into a misinformed purchase.  You've also said you have had the nook for at least 1 month, which should have given you PLENTY of time to read up on the issues other people were experiencing prior to purchasing.

The society and egocentric emotions comment brought me a good laugh though.  I thank you for that.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Well, now my brain hurts.

um

my complaim is about for porpous that was anouced by NOOK manufacturer: read all eletronics in xxx, xxx, xxx and xxx format...

but its doing this?!?!?!

If you actually listed the formats you think the nook can't read (but was promised to read) then maybe that would be a valid complaint, but as far as I'm aware, the nook can read every format that it claimed.  .pdf files are notoriously difficult on any e-reading device, because they weren't designed for e-reader screens, but that's a limitation of PDF and not the nook specifically.  

I think some self-reflection on the concept of "egocentric emotions" might be in order.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

[ Edited ]

valdemar wrote:

well... lets talk about SOCIETY and benefits FOR ALL and not for egocentric emotions...

we r looking maaaaaaaaaaaaany   complaims about NOOK  and problems... just need a litle look in some pages in forum (erader soft and suport)...

i KNOW NETBOOK is not be compared a erader... first pof all netbook has BACKLIGHT, and ereadrer uses E-INK...

nook DO THIS??!?!?!

but its doing this?!?!?!

OBVIUSLY SOME PPL HAS UR DEVIDE WORK PERFECTLY... BUT WE R MANY PPL... NOT ONLY 1...  if u got ur working fine... GOOD FOR U DUDE... GOD BLESS UR DEVICE... buit not come here and say to me, and other have proiblems with same device, that problem isnt exists...

First off it wasn't much clearer.. I have to read your posts multiple times before I fully understand what they say.  But hey some people can't help out how well they know grammer so no fault on you. For all I know english is a secondary language.

You do realize that the majority of people that post here have problems... hence the reason they post... they are looking for an answer.  The majority of NOOK users do not have problems, myself included.  I post here because I like to help people out and therefore I do.

I have been able to read every book I have downloaded and I have well over 500 books on my NOOK.  Are any of them technical PDF's??  No because when I bought my NOOK back in december I realized that a dedicated eReader would not work well with these kind of documents.  I use my laptop for them!

Again your opinion, "BUT WE R MANY PPL... NOT ONLY 1...  if u got ur working fine... GOOD FOR U DUDE... GOD BLESS UR DEVICE... buit not come here and say to me, and other have proiblems with same device, that problem isnt exists..."  is false.  Yes many people have problems.  Many people have problems with most electronic devices.  Either they didn't do their research first and got something they thought could do something else or haven't taken the time to adjust to the learning curve.  No electronic device is perfect.  But "we" is not correct.  Most people I know who have a NOOK have never had a problem.  And like previously stated, you see so many "problems" on here becasue this is a help forum... a place to come when you have a problem!

Have a great day!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
C8H10N4O2
0 Kudos

This thread just falls into one of the classic... "My nook brewed the worst cup of coffee today.  I hate this thing, get something else because the nook is terrible at these other important daily tasks in my life."

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

I think that was the hardest post I ever have read!!

I agree with that statement that I didn't even bother to try to figure out what the poster was saying except that he doesn't like the nook. 

People need to actually spell out words on forums since they have the advantage of a full keyboard.  This is not text messaging. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

valdemar wrote:

nook DO THIS??!?!?!

but its doing this?!?!?!

First off it wasn't much clearer.. I have to read your posts multiple times before I fully understand what they say.  But hey some people can't help out how well they know grammer so no fault on you. For all I know english is a secondary language.

You do realize that the majority of people that post here have problems... hence the reason they post... they are looking for an answer.  The majority of NOOK users do not have problems, myself included.  I post here because I like to help people out and therefore I do.

I have been able to read every book I have downloaded and I have well over 500 books on my NOOK.  Are any of them technical PDF's??  No because when I bought my NOOK back in december I realized that a dedicated eReader would not work well with these kind of documents.  I use my laptop for them!

Again your opinion, "BUT WE R MANY PPL... NOT ONLY 1...  if u got ur working fine... GOOD FOR U DUDE... GOD BLESS UR DEVICE... buit not come here and say to me, and other have proiblems with same device, that problem isnt exists..."  is false.  Yes many people have problems.  Many people have problems with most electronic devices.  Either they didn't do their research first and got something they thought could do something else or haven't taken the time to adjust to the learning curve.  No electronic device is perfect.  But "we" is not correct.  Most people I know who have a NOOK have never had a problem.  And like previously stated, you see so many "problems" on here becasue this is a help forum... a place to come when you have a problem!

Have a great day!

Well put, JJ!

Frequent Contributor
valdemar
0 Kudos

hey dude... u know what???  --->>> U RIGHT!!!!

im crazy... wtf im talkiing about!!!?!?!?

nook is unbelieveable machine!!!! noone have compaim about it!

and probably im stupid person with a machine that cant solve a litle problem since device has come to my hands!

sorry 4 that... i promess ill not publish ANYTHING anymore here in B&N forum...

cya...

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I guess he should have explained that he is from Brazil. But anyone who buys an electronic device with out doing their own thorough research has no right to complain because some sales person told you it could read pdf files as well as it can read epub files.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

[ Edited ]

blah, blah, blah... deleted

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

blah, blah, blah ... deleted too! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Some people have no sense of humor.  Fine, I'll delete it.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Same here. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
valdemar
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

Some people have no sense of humor.  Fine, I'll delete it.

its easy have sense of humor when u dont hav the p´roblem unsolved...

hey AB... wauspp... i dont stand ur words...

my problem is a kind of joke to u all?!

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

If the Nook is not the best device for your purpose then you should buy the device that is. Too many people fail to do their research and end up disappointed. Then they blame the device instead of taking responsibility for their own lack of preparation. 

I bought my Nook to read books, not to read pdfs, surf the web, or get weather reports. 

For my purpose, which is reading books, an e-ink device is the very best device for me. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Valdemar,

No one is real sure what problem you are having with your nook.  Obviously the nook handles pdf files, but it doesn't do them well.  If you have the original document that the pdf was created from you might be able to run it through Calibre (free download) and convert it to an epub.  If it's a Word document, save it as rtf and then convert through Calibre.

That said, the nook or any other e-reader is probably not what you need.  It is fine for most of us as we are simply reading books that are already in a epub or pdb with it. 

If you're trying to incite a riot against B&N, it won't work.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 540 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: