Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jb9942
0 Kudos

book purchased but will not download

I've purchased several books and downloaded them fine on my 1st Edition Nook.  Now the last two times that I've tried I'm getting a message that Network Unavailable.  I have Wi-Fi and was able to purchase the book.  I just can't download it.  Please help!

New User
Megan2626
0 Kudos

Re: book purchased but will not download

I have been having the same problem. Just got off a live chat with someone on bn. He said "the issue is not with your NOOK device, the issue is from our BN server end. We have forwarded the issue to our concern department and they are working on it."

So hopefully they get it fixed. This is getting annoying.

New User
jjsAL
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  The book titles show up on my 1st edition Nook, but when I go to download them via "Item details and options," it tells me "no network connectivity."  This is getting very frustrating.  Hopefully they will be able to fix it soon.

New User
nw1291
0 Kudos

I'm having this issue too. Nooks a 1st edition (can't remember if it has 3g on it. I just tried downloading two books that I had bought a couple days ago. Its connecting to my wi-fi fine but when i go to download a book, it says "network unavailable." I'm hoping this is going to be fixed.
New User
BaconLettuceD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This has happened every time I've purchased a book recently. You can't tell me that the server is conveniently down at 9PM Pacific every few days.

I have a 1e nook that was a hand-me-down from my mom. It worked perfectly well until the last month or so.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

BaconLettuceD wrote:

You can't tell me that the server is conveniently down at 9PM Pacific every few days.

Well, it might be (although not "conveniently" so). 9 PM Pacific is Midnight Eastern, which is the time at which new releases from the big New York-based publishers become available and when price changes become effective. Conceivably, something could be causing system load or temporarily going off-line during the catalog updates.

I have no idea if that's the case or not. It's just one reasonable possibility.

Reader 4
JadedLady
0 Kudos

I have this same issue every time I try to download a book. This is both for new books I buy and books I am rereading (they were archived). This happens all hours of the day, not just in the evening. I can buy books through the shop and also surf the web on the nook with no problems, but every time I try to download one, it says "Network Unavailable." If I wait a few hours and try again, it usually works. I just can't read anything that isn't already downloaded to the nook in the meantime. It's gotten to where I download as many as I can once it gets connected again, but this is extremely frustrating. I am on disability and read a lot, so this is constantly a problem for me. I used to recommend nooks to my friends, but have stopped since I've had this problem. Please, please, PLEASE figure out what's causing it and FIX this!!

New User
Becca220
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I used to not and now I have it every single time I buy a book. This is ridiculous that they are always seeming to have problems with their server being down. They have the money to get it fixed once and for all, so FIX IT! I now understand why everyone else has a Kindle and I'm really starting to think about buy one myself so I don't have to always deal with this issue.

New User
Rensong
0 Kudos

I have also been having this problem for the last few days.  I've tried all the "quick fixes" that I've found recommended for the issue in the past - unregistering my Nook, going to the website do delete and re-add my default credit card information, and then going back on my Nook to re-register it (which, also made me lose all the shelves I had set up on my Nook, by the way); turning my Nook off and rebooting it, and right now I'm trying the old freeze fix-it of removing the battery for awhile before replacing it and leaving it to charge for a few hours.

When I tried to connect my Nook to my computer via USB to transfer the eBook I just purchased that way, my computer also didn't recognize my Nook as a Nook or even an external data storage device.  Rebooting my computer didn't help.

New User
Rensong
0 Kudos

... And now that I have replaced the battery and turned my Nook on again, I have also discovered that I lost all of the books that I had previously downloaded as well, which considering I am an avid reader and I've had my Nook for two and a half years, is NOT an insignificant number of books I now can only access through my Barnes and Noble account on my computer.

Please fix this issue as soon as you can.

Reader 4
Franadora
0 Kudos

I have also noticed this recently. I have a WI-FI only Nook 1E, and several months ago I updated my router to one that the N1E cannot communicate with. No problem, I thought - I visit my local B&N most weekends, I can do the downloads and drink a cup of chai. Unfortunately, though able to shop, read In Store, and read the blog, I am often completely unable to download: "Network not Available". I sometimes get through, but I am trying to download the backlog that got wiped when Technical Support recommended that I reset my Nook to try to fix an issue with a book that I have not been able to download. Never did fix it - it was a free book, so I've written it off as a lost cause. Just would like to remove it from my book list. Often these books are downloading just fine to my Nook applications on my Win7 netbook or my Android tablet. So it feels like they're trying to drive us N1E users away. [tin hat off. I don't know the cause or the solution.]
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The First Edition just happens to be the only Nook that made the B&N storage available on USB. If the book is available on your computer, you can use USB to drag&drop it into the Nooks storage. You can also back up books by dragging from the Nook to the computer.

Baron Wulfraed
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 728 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: