Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
raspberry88
0 Kudos

bottom left corner of screen black

I turned on my nook tonight and when I did the bottom left of the screen to the buttons that turn the page are black (it's a rectangular black shape). It happened when I turned it on, and I tried resetting it to the factory settings but that did nothing and now when I turn off the nook it still is black. I take excellent care of the nook and the screen is not cracked. Customer service is closed right not and I'm going to call in the morning, any other advice on what I should do? I just got it as a holiday present and I'm devastated.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: bottom left corner of screen black

raspberry88 wrote:

I turned on my nook tonight and when I did the bottom left of the screen to the buttons that turn the page are black (it's a rectangular black shape). It happened when I turned it on, and I tried resetting it to the factory settings but that did nothing and now when I turn off the nook it still is black. I take excellent care of the nook and the screen is not cracked. Customer service is closed right not and I'm going to call in the morning, any other advice on what I should do? I just got it as a holiday present and I'm devastated.

If you just got it as a present I would immediately take it back to the store and exchange it.  Sounds like your e-ink display is defective.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Just be totally sure...

you said: "...the bottom left of the screen to the buttons that turn the page are black (it's a rectangular black shape)..."

that is a precise description of the touchscreen.  Are you saying the touchscreen is not "lighting up"? 

Or that the (e-ink) reading screen has a dead/black rectangle above the touchscreen.?

Either one is of course a problem, but...maybe the touchscreen "off timer" is stuck?  (sorry for the non-techie description, but the AM caffeine has not fully kicked in...)

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Reader
raspberry88
0 Kudos

it's the e-ink reading screen, not the touch screen.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

raspberry88 wrote:

it's the e-ink reading screen, not the touch screen.

If the black "spot" didn't resolve with a reboot, it sounds as if the e-ink screen on your NOOK is damaged or defective.  You probably want to return it and exchange it.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 594 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: