Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
showers
0 Kudos

brightening the background

My eyes are alittle older and it seems like I need the background to be brighter, not necessarily bigger, just brighter...anyway to do that

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Re: brightening the background

On the eink reading screen, no.  There is no way to alter the contrast.

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

The only way to improve contrast is very good ambient lighting. You might experiment with different bulb types (incandescent, florescent, LED), wattage and quality to see what works best for you.

Reader 2
flowerchild70
0 Kudos

I have noticed that the different font styles and sizes can appear to be darker or dimmer in different books.  Try playing with the fonts.  Simply having a larger font size can do wonders for reading comfort.  And as with a paper book, you need good light at all times to prevent strain.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

You could try putting a black matte skin on ur nook. That makes the screen look brighter to me. I know it's just an optical illusion, but it works for me.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

naylorchic wrote:

You could try putting a black matte skin on ur nook. That makes the screen look brighter to me. I know it's just an optical illusion, but it works for me.

I was going to say the same thing.  The white plastic the nook is made from makes the background of the pages look dimmer because it is right next to an ultra bright white.

Covering the white up with black makes a big difference.  Even if it is just an optical illusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gradient-optical-illusion.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:smileysurprised:ptical_grey_squares_orange_brown.svg

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Have you tried adding a light. I have the Lyra light that I turn on in low light conditions that seems to work pretty well.

Frequent Contributor
jigray3

naylorchic wrote:

I believe what you are experiencing is more than an optical illusion. It seems to be a little physics and biology.

If the border surrounding the display is dark instead if white, and absorbs rather than reflects stray light, the iris of the eye will open wider to allow more light in to reach the retina, making the display appear brighter.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

nook's easy-to-read E Ink® display is more like a traditional book than a computer screen. With no glare or backlight, and adjustable text size.

In your case you may want to consider the Lyra Light.  Below I have attached a link to the Lyra Light page in our website:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Lyra-Light/e/9781599859439/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30255

Description

Use your nook in low light when you clip on this powerful Lyra Light. The sturdy, flexible neck points a bright, white LED onto your Nook while the shallow clip with cushioned grip pad won’t interfere with the screen as you read.

• Dimensions: 6" x 4" x 1.5"
  • 2 CR2032 Batteries Included
  • Provides 20 hours of light
  • Imported
  • Always turn off the light in between uses to save the battery

Product Details

• ISBN: 1599859432
  • ISBN-13: 9781599859439
  • Manufacturer: Barnes & Noble
  • Sales Rank: 1

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count