Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
s0393342
0 Kudos

chinese characters in meta data

Hello,

I download couple of epub and pdf books in Chinese language, even though I can read them fine in nook, but the meta data in my library are messed up, I can't tell which book it is. Any solution for that ? I heard this is a problem after ver 1.0, could this be fixed in next software update ? Basically this will be a problem for any non English language.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: chinese characters in meta data

[ Edited ]

s0393342 wrote:

Hello,

I download couple of epub and pdf books in Chinese language, even though I can read them fine in nook, but the meta data in my library are messed up, I can't tell which book it is. Any solution for that ? I heard this is a problem after ver 1.0, could this be fixed in next software update ? Basically this will be a problem for any non English language.

This is a problem that cropped up with the 1.3 update.  As you've noticed, the actual text of the book seems to unaffected:  the title is messed up, though.  So far by my informal count, it's been reported for Chinese, Russian (and by extension, other languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet), Portuguese and French (and so one would expect, other Romance languages that use the same diacritical marks) and German.

B&N is aware of the problem, many of us having raised it wrt various languages since the update.  Let's hope that it's addressed in 1.4.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.  The issue has been addressed for 1.4, but you need to remove your side-loaded content, and then add them again.  Here are the exact steps:

1. Connect device to PC

2. Go to the nook's my documents folder

3. Copy the contents of that folder to your PC (unless you already have it there).

4. Disconnect nook.

5. Go to library (my documents), and do check for new content.  See that nothing is there.

6. Connect to the PC again

7. Add your documents back.

8. Disconnect nook (safely using safely remove or eject)

9. Go back to my documents

10. Check for new content.

This should work for you, please re-post if it doesn't.

Kind Regards,

Nook engineering

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

After hitting "Check for New Content" a couple of times and rebooting my Nook at least twice with 1.4 installed, the non-English characters in My Documents metadata were still wrong.  So I just woke my Nook up to delete the affected eBooks and sideload them again, only to discover that the new software has fixed them spontaneously!

So the problem was fixed, and does not necessarily require deleting and reloading.  Another base hit for the 1.4 update.  As with so many other problems, the process seems to be "try the fix - wait - repeat".

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 281 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: