Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
CarolRIll
0 Kudos

cracked case....replacement????

I am the owner of an early nook  (Feb), which developed the 'crack' at the page turner.

When I called customer service......got all the blah blah blah about whether it was an issue

caused by me, or actually a flawed product.  After getting all that ironed out, having set up

the return issues, I asked if I would be receiving a refurbished nook, or a new one.  "We are

replacing with refurbished nooks".  I was flabbergasted!  This isn't an issue caused by mishandling the nook, or carelessness.  It was a flawed product!  The supervisor basically told me 'too bad', it is our right to replace with used product and said I should read the warranty.  I would think it would be proper for them to send out a new nook, rather than other people's problem, when flawed product is involved.

By the way, after calling several stores, I found a manager that happily exchanged my broken nook, for a brand new one.  She thought it was absurd that they weren't replacing with new.  And, the new one doesn't have any of the freezing issues, or slow page turning issues.  Poor soul who gets that refurbished nook!::smileymad:

New User
Iain010100
0 Kudos

Re: cracked case....replacement????

I have the same issue and wondered about the return policy. I agree that the cracked case is indeed a design flaw.

Contributor
jeepr
0 Kudos

Well this isn't what I wanted to hear. My "new nook" LOL is to arrive tomorrow. Now it's not even new but refurbished. What the heck? Guess if it cracks they'll get another call or I'll try my local BN store to see if they are willing to help me out. The customer service guy even said a "new" NOOK will be coming. hmmmmmmm, wonder what it will be. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contributor
Mike0301
0 Kudos

Yep, I have a cracked button, too.  I am reluctant to turn in the Nook for a replacement because I fear I'll get one with a dicey battery.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Mike0301 wrote:

Yep, I have a cracked button, too.  I am reluctant to turn in the Nook for a replacement because I fear I'll get one with a dicey battery.

So do the rapid replacement option where you give them your credit card number, they ship you a new NOOK, and you have two weeks to swap batteries (and microSD card, if you've added one) and ship the cracked NOOK back.

If you wanted, you could even do some tests to see which battery is better.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Mike0301 wrote:

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Sorry, but that's just plain silly.

If you return the Nook with the cracked button, chances are that you'll get a Nook back that works just as well, but without a cracked button.

And if, on the off chance, you DID get a Nook with a "dicey battery", you'd just return that one for one with a non-dicey battery. 

And you would be worse off ... how?  :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Replaced mine about a month ago and got a new Nook with a small blemish on the lcd screen.  Not a big deal and now no cracked page turn button.

My wifes Nook got the broken button last night and I didn't even hesitate to call them.  After a 5 minute phone call (I told him I had already done this with mine and he didn't need to bother explaining everything, so I saved us both some time), her new Nook is on its way here.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
ecr
New User
ecr
0 Kudos

I also have a problem with a cracked case in the area I use most to turn the page. I just reported this to customer service and they were HUGELY helpful! They are replacing my nook with a new one, and tell me they have made design changes that should resolve this issue. Sorry your experience was so disappointing. I hope the customer service rep that I spoke with was properly informed - he seemed to know about the problem and what B&N has done to resolve it. 

Contributor
jeepr
0 Kudos

I just got my replacement, called into Customer Service (cause I'm anal) and asked him if I had a refurbished or new. He assured me my records indicated new so that's that. Very helpful CSR's on every call and hope everyone's experience has been like mine. Good luck everyone....I feel like B&N is trying hard to accomodate all of us and this issue.

New User
TikiDoll
0 Kudos

I seem to have developed this crack problem much later than everyone else.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error.  And sent a poorly packaged and broken replacement.  Now I have the added frustration to send that one back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 518 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: