Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Pearlandvb
0 Kudos

dead nook

Help! I bought a nook about a week ago, worked fine, then last night I couldn't do a thing with it.  The Gertrude Stein screensaver won't go off.  I tried holding the button for 30 sec, I tried charging the battery, I tried taking the battery out and leaving it out overnight, still have Gertrude on the screen even with the battery out!  Tried reseating the battery and recharging.  The charge light comes on, but I still can't get rid of Gertrude.  What could the problem be?  I haven't even dropped it or poured coffee on it yet.

New User
Pearlandvb
0 Kudos

Re: dead nook

Well I'll be danged, it just started working again after posting this message.  I have no idea why. Maybe reseating the battery for the 4th time did it?  Maybe posting the message scared Gertrude?  She sure didn't look scared.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Call Digital Support, if they can't get it working they should do an exchange for new nook.

You posted that it started working the same I posted, so you can ignore this now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Pearlandvb wrote:

Maybe posting the message scared Gertrude?  She sure didn't look scared.

She was bluffing.  You just had to show her that you were serious and she backed down.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Karen127
0 Kudos

This is  an ongoing problem with the Nook.  It has happened to me several times and I've had to go to the store to get them to wake up my nook.  I think there is a major software problem with the Nook.  There are multiple blogs out there talking about this.  I am on the phone now with tech support.  My Nook is frozen again.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@Karen127

See response to your crosspost:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Waffling-between-Nook-amp-Kindle2/m-p/55...

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Karen127 wrote:

This is  an ongoing problem with the Nook.  It has happened to me several times and I've had to go to the store to get them to wake up my nook.  I think there is a major software problem with the Nook.  There are multiple blogs out there talking about this.  I am on the phone now with tech support.  My Nook is frozen again.

I can honestly say that I've used my Nook on a continual basis since I purchased it in the beginning of March and it only "froze" once when I put a bad PDF file on it.  I would hardly call that "an ongoing problem with the Nook".  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
joe31956
0 Kudos

I was using my Nook a little awhile ago, turned it off, meant to turn off to screensaver but turned it all the way off instead.. Now it won't come back on. I connected the charger to the unit to recharge, it was down to 25% right before this happened. The yellow recharge light does not come on, and I tried to turn on the unit numerous times right before I wrote this note. I've only had the Nook about 6 wks, can't believe its broke already and I still owe money on it (bought w/Best Buy card and was going to pay it off in 3 mo.)

If I take it to B&N would anyone know what happened? I was so thrilled with my Nook and now I'm disgusted, I had 5 books on there I didn't get to read yet too.

Has anyone also used Kindle and what were your experiences with it? I might have to go in that direction.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this problem.

Joe

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Joe:

Just plug the nook in and walk away for an hour.  Don't be impatient.  The light won't come on till you have a certain minimal level of charge.

If that does not work:

1. Remove back (little tab by power cord)
  2. Remove battery 
  3. Plug into wall outlet with battery still OUT
  4. Nook reboots. Wait..... It takes a while - do not unplug
  5. After reboot, reinsert battery with nook still plugged in.
  6. Charge nook completely.

New User
whitecat11
0 Kudos

My Nook isn't even a month old and I'm not able to recharge my battery.  I plugged into an outlet yesterday, tried a different outlet last night, battery still isn't charged.  Removed the battery and plugged in per instructions on this site, the Nook has not reset itself.  I'm so mad, now I can't read the book I started yesterday or any of the other books I have.  There is no way I'd recommend the Nook to anyone at this point.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

whitecat11 wrote:

My Nook isn't even a month old and I'm not able to recharge my battery.  I plugged into an outlet yesterday, tried a different outlet last night, battery still isn't charged.  Removed the battery and plugged in per instructions on this site, the Nook has not reset itself.  I'm so mad, now I can't read the book I started yesterday or any of the other books I have.  There is no way I'd recommend the Nook to anyone at this point.

So get it replaced.  Its free and they will cross-ship it.  You could even see if the store will do this if you live close by.

Your nook does not sound like its discharged to me, it sounds like it totally died for some reason.

ABthree

whitecat11 wrote:

Really?  What did Customer Service say when you called them?  You may just have a dud plug-in adapter.  I did.  I called them, talked to them for five minutes, they couldn't have been nicer, and sent a new one right away.  That's been the experience of most people here with B&N Customer Service, but they can't read your mind at a distance.

If you don't feel that you can recommend Nook then by all means, don't.  But if you haven't picked up the phone to try to get a solution to your problem, please be sure that anyone who gets your knock on the Nook understands that it's based on magical thinking.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: