New User
crystalbluekv
0 Kudos

dictionary look up

Hi! My name is Karen. In the tutorial it says you can look up words on the page you are reading from.  I've not been able to even find the dictionary! Can someone help me?  I'm missing a lot of the book I'm reading because I can't look up words.  Thanks.

Always give the benefit of a doubt.
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: dictionary look up

When you're in the book, scroll down on the touch screen until you see the menu option "Look Up Word".  That will allow you to choose a word via directional arrows or to manually enter using a keyboard.  

New User
crystalbluekv
0 Kudos

Sam...you doll!!! Thank you so much! I'll enjoy my book much more now.

I owe you a cup of coffee:smileyvery-happy:

Always give the benefit of a doubt.
Contributor
nana_vg
0 Kudos

Do you have to have a dictionary downloaded to your Nook before the "Look Up" feature will work? I haven't downloaded a dictionary and "Look Up" isn't available to me.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nana_vg,

please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

When reading, tap Look up word on the color touchscreen. Select the word you want to look up by pressing the up, down, right, and left arrows on the touchscreen to move the selection from word to word. Then tap Look up to display the definition in a dialog panel overlaying the reading content. A definition can be more than one page in length. Move between pages using the Next Page and Previous Page buttons. Tap OK when you have finished reading the definition to return to your reading.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

nana_vg wrote:

"Look Up" isn't available to me.

Did you scroll the menu at the bottom? A lot of people don't realize that the menu is scrollable and has more items. Watch for the scroll bar on the right side of the menu list; it'll tell you if you're not seeing the whole list.

Contributor
nana_vg
0 Kudos

Thanks for everyone's help. I have the correct update, but I just wasn't able to get the scroll up and down to work. I've worked on it again, and now it is working and I found "Look Up". I love that I've discovered what I thought I was missing.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nana_vg,

You're welcome and we are very happy that it is working for you.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader 4
Readletter
0 Kudos

My look up function is not listed in the scroll features.  It was there when I first got the Nook and now it isn't,  I had used it several times but it is not available now.  What do I need to do to get this function back as I really like being able to look up things as I am reading.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Readletter: scroll the menu. "Look up word" is something like the last item on the menu.

Also: the dictionary isn't available for PDFs.

Reader 4
Readletter
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee, when I scroll down sometimes these are the only options available:

• Find
  • Go To
  • Bookmark
  • Highlights and Notes
  • Preferences
  • Open Audio Player

The Look Up Word is sometimes above Preferences but not always.  I was reading a book from the library yester and Look Up Word was not available.  I'm reading a book from Barnes and Noble today and the Look Up Word is available.

Why would it be available sometimes and not others?

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

The dictionary doesn't work for PDF files, newspapers, or magazines.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:105 members 772 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: