Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hallam00
0 Kudos

downloading books

I am not sure but some books I order show up in my library while other ones do not.

Do I need to download on line first?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: downloading books

You don't need to download them other than on the Nook.  Your Nook must be registered to the same account.

Make sure you did a "check for new B&N content" on your Nook.  You might also want to reboot your Nook.  If the book doesn't at least show up then in your list of books, then consider contacting CS.

Inspired Contributor
altreco
0 Kudos

Just got my Nook for Father's Day and I love it!

FWIW I find it easy to search for and buy books on my computer.  It's easier to search the catalog on a 19inch full color screen as opposed to my Nook.  I make my purchases and then search for new content with Nook to download. Works every time.

Reader 4
C.M._Snyder
0 Kudos

I got my nook today and I love it. However, one book that was downloaded on to my nook will not open. It just says loading on the screen. I tried redownloading the book and it's doing the same thing. Is it possible it could be corrupted. It was only 0.99 but still. Any help is appreciated.

Reader 4
C.M._Snyder
0 Kudos

One more thing it's been 10 minutes since I downloaded again and it's still saying loading.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@C.M._Snyder

Try Archiving the book.

Then move the cursor to a different book, and touch "Check for new B&N Content"

When the title of the book you Archived greys out, Unarchive it.  Then you can download a fresh copy.

This solves many "unable to open" problems.  If it doesn't solve yours, call Customer Service, Option 2, Digital Support.  You may have a corrupted file.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If archiving and redownloading doesn't work you may be seeing the positioning bug that the nook has with some books.  With that bug the Nook hangs during opening or loading of the book. 

Two workarounds.  The first is fast but ends up with the book in the wrong area of your Nook Library. 

1) From a PC, take a copy of the book from your My b&n Download folder on the nook and place it in my Documents folder of the Nook. 

2) Install the B&N PC Desktop reader, register and download the book in question.  Open the book on the PC and go to chapter 2.  Go back to the my libary tab and perform a sync with the B&N server (the square button with a counter clockwise arrow).   Reboot your NOOK (necessary if it has a background task still trying to open the book).  Open your library to your B&N content and do a "check for new B&N Content".  The book should now open on the Nook.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@hallam00,

Was your issue resolved...?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 279 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: