Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mnny
0 Kudos

downloading my books

I have downloaded books from B&N onto my nook and they all show errors, document is licensed for a different user account.  What have I done wrong. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: downloading my books

[ Edited ]

@mnny

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

It's hard to tell from what you've written what -- if anything -- you did wrong.  We need some more information.

-- Is your Nook currently registered to your account?

-- do you have a default credit card on your account?

-- did you download the books via WiFi or 3G, or did you sideload them to your Nook?

With some more detail, maybe we can help.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
mnny
0 Kudos

sorry about that, I do have wifi but I do everything over the computer because it seems much faster.  I plugged my nook into my computer, went into my library, saved not opened to my b & n downloads and my adobe digital editions (I have tried both).  When I disconnect my nook and look in my nook library they are not there.  When I hook it back up to my computer open my nook they are showing in my adobe digital editions but I cannot see book cover etc.  when I put my mouse over the arrow on the book and click error that is when it shows up. Hope this is enough info, thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@mnny

Thanks for the update.

You should use WiFi to download and update your B&N books -- that's the only way to sync your library with the copy on B&N's servers.

If you sideload your B&N books that will work, but you need to take some additional steps.

1. You need to sideload the books to "My Documents":  you cannot sideload them to "B&N downloads", that area will not accept them as usable files.

2. When you download a B&N book to your computer, the download will add an extra "." and extension to your book.  When you look at it in Windows (make sure that you're showing extensions), it will look something like "booktitle.v1.epub".  You need to rename the file to delete the extra ".v1 (or some other number)", so that the filename looks like "booktitle.epub".  Then your books should work.

3. When you open the first book sideloaded this way, your Nook may ask you for a credit card number.  This is to unlock the DRM.  Input the default credit card on your B&N account.  If you have to do this, you should only have to do it once.

If your B&N books are in My Documents, your Nook will still try to update your B&N Library whenever your WiFi is turned on.  So you could end up with two copies of every book on your Nook.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

mnny wrote:

sorry about that, I do have wifi but I do everything over the computer because it seems much faster.  I plugged my nook into my computer, went into my library, saved not opened to my b & n downloads and my adobe digital editions (I have tried both).  When I disconnect my nook and look in my nook library they are not there.  When I hook it back up to my computer open my nook they are showing in my adobe digital editions but I cannot see book cover etc.  when I put my mouse over the arrow on the book and click error that is when it shows up. Hope this is enough info, thanks

If you are transferring books to your Nook from your computer (sideloading), they need to go in the "my documents" folder on the Nook.  Even though they may have come from BN, you cannot put them in the B&N Downloads folder, this is for downloading with WiFi.

See page 163 of the Nook User Guide:"Where You  Can Put Files"

ADE is not used with content from B&N, it is for DRM protected material from other sources like public libraries and some other booksellers.

If you have WiFi, I would recommend using it for your B&N books.  You give some features such as Archiving books.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 616 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: