Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MadMonica13

eBooks badly edited, missing entire paragraphs

I'm just curious to see if anyone else finds missing words/paragraphs and odd jumps in their ebooks. While I appreciate that the cost of ebooks are somewhat less than real books, I find it to be pretty annoying to pay 10 bucks for a book with missing words, poor editing and in more than one case, entire paragraphs gone. I've read at least three ebooks with these sorts of problems and it's beginning to make me think you're using pre-edit proofs for these books.

Is there a plan to address this issue in future?

Sincerely,

MadMonica13

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks badly edited, missing entire paragraphs

I would imagine that this is the publisher's problem and not B&N's, although you may try contacting their customer service, as they may allow you to return it.  Unless, of course, it's a Barnes and Noble edition of a classic or something, but then it's not likely to be ten bucks. I would assume that these were you books you paid for, and not the free Google books.  Those have all sorts of issues. 

New User
LightningFan
0 Kudos

I have same problem when the sentences that end abruptly or begin in the middle on the following page. Not enough to send it back but very annoying.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

It's definitely a publisher issue for most books.  My conversation with one author who had one ebook missing, forwarded her editors reply that that book was not formated for the B&N Nook at the time others were, for some reason.  She is going to take care of it, but they have to format, get and ISBN for it and then get it B&N.  So it is definitely the publisher who formats the ebook.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

Try changing the font size too - there was a problem with the nooks early on, where sentences would be cut off but changing the font size would fix it.

It was supposed to be fixed in the 1.2 software update, but it's possible that it's not 100% fixed. 

New User
JaeBaer
0 Kudos

I recently purchased the Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey in ebook form (I have them in print as well), and am rather discouraged by the inordinate amount of typographical errors in the ebooks. These three books were published between 1989 and 1991, there's no excuse for spelling errors after this amount of time.

Out of curiosity I checked the old paperback versions I have and the misspellings are not present in those. I paid nearly as much for these ebooks as I would have for a regular paperback, why am I being treated like a second class customer by poor editing?

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From listening to an author once I'm under the impression that it is common for publishers to give printed copies of the authors work to employees and then have them re-type it to enter it into their systems.

This is even the case when the author originally supplies an electronic copy (such as a word doc).

So - for those typos - blame the publisher.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SlaughterS wrote:

From listening to an author once I'm under the impression that it is common for publishers to give printed copies of the authors work to employees and then have them re-type it to enter it into their systems.

This is even the case when the author originally supplies an electronic copy (such as a word doc).

That is not true of any major publisher in this day an age, and hasn't been for 10 years or more. Its digital from one end to the other.  

Older books, not so much, as these were often submitted in manuscript, and still older books are scanned in.  

This is the wrong forum for this discussion.  It belongs in Ebook Discussion.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

JaeBaer wrote:

I recently purchased the Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey in ebook form (I have them in print as well), and am rather discouraged by the inordinate amount of typographical errors in the ebooks. These three books were published between 1989 and 1991, there's no excuse for spelling errors after this amount of time.

Out of curiosity I checked the old paperback versions I have and the misspellings are not present in those. I paid nearly as much for these ebooks as I would have for a regular paperback, why am I being treated like a second class customer by poor editing?

Check the publisher of the ebook vs the paperback.

Did it change, or were they the same?

Often Authors will change publishers, especially for ebook versions.  But when they do, they have to drop back to their original submissions, because the work done by the first publisher is not available to them.

So it would be interesting if the same company did the ebook and the paperback...

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

SlaughterS wrote:

That is not true of any major publisher in this day an age, and hasn't been for 10 years or more...

Take it up with Michael Stackpole, that is what he said happened to one of his books.  I was under the impression it happed to him in the last couple of years.

He gave them a word doc.  They printed it out and handed it to someone who then re-keyed it into another word doc.  He noticed because some phrases used Words auto correct features for suggested sentence structure which he had specifically over ridden in the document he sent them.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

He gave them a word doc.  They printed it out and handed it to someone who then re-keyed it into another word doc.  He noticed because some phrases used Words auto correct features for suggested sentence structure which he had specifically over ridden in the document he sent them.

He made assumptions, based on scant evidence, and incomplete knowledge of MS Word, (and possibly no knowledge of what the editor actually uses for word processing, which is often something far more elaborate than Word).

Their word processing program had different settings, and their editor accepted all the revisions it suggested, and perhaps applied some of their own prejudices to the editing.  (Editing services are part of what he is paying the publisher for.)    

Assuming they went to the extreme of re-typing based on such little evidence is not warranted.  My author friend had her own typos survive the editing process, printing, all the way into the second edition.  Her typo was "Wont" which is a word which often escapes spell checkers when "Won't" is what is desired. 6 occurrence, 4 caught by the editor. 2 survived. 1 at the beginning of a sentence, which is virtually never correct.  Random House.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

...He made assumptions, based on scant evidence, and incomplete knowledge of MS Word, (and possibly no knowledge of what the editor actually uses for word processing, which is often something far more elaborate than Word).....

Possible. 

He has been in the business since 1987, has 50 some odd books in print, and is currently writing, editing, podcasting, publishing and selling iphone apps. (I think he said the publishers use Adobe's inDesign - my mistake for saying Word)

He's a smart guy, and views most publishing houses as conservative dinosaurs (strike that - "greedy" conservative dinosaurs).

Here is a link to an article he wrote that sort of demonstrates his feelings about publishers and their attitudes toward ebooks and pricing:

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=1192

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

MadMonica, the books you have problems with aren't the free books on the Barnes & Noble site, are they? Those are based on Google books, and they really are not edited at all (google is attempting to post images of the pages, they don't pay much attention to the text -  but the nook shows the text not  the images). If you want free ebooks, you're better off with the Project Gutenberg versions. Nobody is paying anybody to edit them, so each project chooses how to spend their resources and Gutenberg devotes lots of volunteer time to editing. 

Of course if you're having problems with books that you paid for, then yes you should expect them to be properly edited and do have a valid complaint. Tell B&N, complain to the publisher (it's the publisher at fault, after all), and let the author know. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 425 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: