Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

eBooks won't download.

I just bought my nook this morning and I was so excited until I tried to download eBooks.  I have spent all day reading up on the nook, waiting on hold for customer service, and doing everything possible to download eBooks. I have already downloaded the new update and made sure that I am connected via wifi but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone please help me out?! 

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks won't download.

It would be very helpful if you could tell us what you are doing, what your nook does, and especially if there is an error message.

In addition, I am guessing that you setup your account at the B&N website and put in a default credit card already?  That is the first step.

New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

Yes, I have already set up an account and done all of that. The nook simply says that it cannot download any of the books, and to seek help if the problem persists.

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are the books listed on the B&N Website in your Ebook Library?

Are you checking for "New Content" on the nook or trying to download from the B&N Website.  The download on the website requires you to install the ebook reader software on your PC.

New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

The books are in my library and when I select one to download it says that the operation cannot be complete. 

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

In your Library on the Nook or B&N Website?

New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

On the nook. I can see the eBooks, but I can't download them. 

Correspondent
NanaLou

If you have WiFi on and you are getting the error when you select download, it could be a server issue.  You probably need to give Customer Service a call.

New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

I've actually been on hold this entire time. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Pengubear

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

Are you sure that the default credit card on your account is current, and that you entered the number and information correctly?  A current default card is required to download your books successfully.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Pengubear
0 Kudos

I just used it to buy my nook this morning and I've been able to purchase the eBooks, my nook just won't download them  

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

If you are still having problems, you should take your Nook to B & N.  They might be able to help.  If not, they will contact customer service.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

My cousin had this same issue and it was actually her credit card that caused it. Her card had a block on it preventing purchases from out of New Jersey which is where the B&N charges of her book were coming from, so she couldnt download her books. Evidently her bank has any area high in credit card fraud automatically blocked. So she called her bank and the removed the flag an then all her books would download. She hasnt had a problem since. 

New User
Raydiatur
0 Kudos

I have that problem, but I have no credit card. Anything else that's possible?

I already bought some books with an old credit card and I just want to redownload The Lost City of Z again.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Raydiatur wrote:

I have that problem, but I have no credit card. Anything else that's possible?

I already bought some books with an old credit card and I just want to redownload The Lost City of Z again.

You need to have a valid credit card on file at all times to be able to download books, even previously purchased ones.  As has been stated a multitude of times on the boards, the DRM system developed by B&N uses your credit card number on file to create an encrypted passkey that will unlock books when downloaded to your computer/nook/other device.  

Without a credit card on file, B&N can't create the passkey.  Hence, you can't download the books.  

ABthree
0 Kudos

@Raydiatur

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

If you have a debit card associated with your checking account that has a Visa or MasterCard logo, you can probably use that.

Or you can buy a prepaid credit card for a nominal sum -- a couple of hundred dollars, say -- and use that.

You never have to use the card for actual payments, if you don't want to:  you can put gift cards on your account for that.  But you need a valid credit card on file to support the DRM system.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Raydiatur
0 Kudos

I dunno how, but the books are in my library now.

I'm just glad I have them back. Although I didn't put in any new credit or anything.

Just wanted to share that.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Raydiatur wrote:

I dunno how, but the books are in my library now.

I'm just glad I have them back. Although I didn't put in any new credit or anything.

Just wanted to share that.

That's bizarre, but I'm glad it worked out for you -- enjoy your Nook! :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
dramadiva16
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem...My ebooks wont download from my library. You said you have to download some type of software??? how would you do that? sorry, i just got my nook not too long ago.

Contributor
I_love_nookbooks
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem over the weekend and it was really stressing me out because I really love my nook.  The titles were showing up in the library on the Nook but I couldn't download them.  Anyway, after about 4 hours with customer service yesterday and a trip to the BN store, it was finally resolved.  The hold-up seemed to be that BN was saying my default card kept failing, even though I made repeated calls to my bank (while in the store) and my card was fine and had never had a problem.  In fact, my bank told me that they would have had a hit from BN every time I tried to download a book which I tried to do several times yesterday and they had no hits from BN.  So the problem was definitely on BN's end.  Anyway, finally, a customer service rep deleted my card, re-entered and then re-entered by last purchase manually (not sure what that means) and after an hour I could download the books.  You could ask a customer service rep to do that and see if that helps.  Good Luck. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 719 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: